Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
It is not against the Data Protection Law to see your CIV.

What is against the Data Protection Law is for the list of passengers on the flight to be given to you to have a look at.

I think the mods should close this thread because other than people enjoying insulting each other, it is getting nowhere fast.
Yep, that's what I've found amusing for the past 20 mins I've spent reading it.
Especially as (mentioned earlier by someone) the exact ( well much the same anyway, kind of ) topic was covered a couple of weeks ago and SF came to the fore then.

Nothing wrong with him expressing his opinion, and nothing wrong with others taking a different view. Proabaly best to try to keep it civil though
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I'd say that dude ain't that high profile if he's flying on the same metal as me. We are talking about commercially available seats, not private jets.

Besides, if there was some high profile dude onboard, I'd expect s/he's publicly identifiable by merely gazing at his face/stance/gait/etc... Such an individual has decidedly become "public" and has given up some privacy as a result. (the right/wrong of which is not within the scope of an airline/pax to decide)

Privacy is a myth of insecurity, especially when frolicking among the public. (ie, on a plane with others, in a public library, walking on the public streets, etc.) Society is grand ain't it?
Top marks for the past 8 posts. Yours will very soon be as big as mine!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by Short Final
Alright then ... if you consider it a non-issue, how about you post your real name and your BAEC membership number right here together with a list of PNRs for all your future flight bookings so the whole world of people you don't know, have never met and don't necessarily trust can go see what seat you're sitting in, your meal preference etc. ?

Oh, what's that, you don't want to do that ? There's a surprise !
There are a number of FT members who do post all this information. Honestly, I would too if I had the time to populate such a silly database and maintain the site.

How about this: I generally try not to be a dick and hence do not sense any insecurity about others harassing me because of my identity. I agree that not everyone falls into this category, but privacy is a myth... perhaps even a dead religion...
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by whiskerxx
Top marks for the past 8 posts. Yours will very soon be as big as mine!
I like trolls at times, and maybe I am one too. =)
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

There is no valid reason to close this thread. However, common courtesy dictates that those who have already expressed their individual PoV leave room for others to express their own.

Prospero
Moderator: BAEC forum
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I like trolls at times, and maybe I am one too. =)
Whatever you are, you're a breath of fresh air, and welcome to the site!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:38 am

Programs: MUCCI
DrunkCargo,

This thread has run its full extent. You're late to the game, I don't think anyone's particularly interested in seeing this thread go round and round in circles, and I'm not going to reply to any of your posts (or any other future posts from anyone else from this point on) so you might as well stop digging up and commenting on all of my individual posts.

Over and out.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Whatever you are, you're a breath of fresh air, and welcome to the site!
^
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
You all may or may not know this but a lot of celebrities and people who wish to keep their personal life private have their flights booked under a special name.

This is so that any less scrupulous airline and travel agency staff cannot tip off the media. ( this has got nothing to do with the Data Protection law but I thought you might be interested that this often happens and the name on the PIL can often be different to the name of the celebrity).

Of course once on the aircraft people will recognise them.

The point of the Data Protection Law is to allow the person themselves to decide if they want people to know any of their details and companies are required only to use their names and details for the purpose the passenger intended, not to share this information with anyone else.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: FT
You all may or may not know this but a lot of celebrities and people who wish to keep their personal life private have their flights booked under a special name.

This is so that any less scrupulous airline and travel agency staff cannot tip off the media. ( this has got nothing to do with the Data Protection law but I thought you might be interested that this often happens and the name on the PIL can often be different to the name of the celebrity).

Of course once on the aircraft people will recognise them.

The point of the Data Protection Law is to allow the person themselves to decide if they want people to know any of their details and companies are required only to use their names and details for the purpose the passenger intended, not to share this information with anyone else.
so what you are saying is BA allows "certain" people to make reservations in names that are not their legal ones and yet allows them to board anyway? surely that has to be some sort of security breach? i mean, allowing a person whose not on the manifest to board?

and yet they allow a manifest to be viewed is causing the world to fall apart?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by whiskerxx
^
agreed. god forbid we have different views on this board....
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:55 am

DrunkCargo,

This thread has run its full extent. You're late to the game, I don't think anyone's particularly interested in seeing this thread go round and round in circles, and I'm not going to reply to any of your posts (or any other future posts from anyone else from this point on) so you might as well stop digging up and commenting on all of my individual posts.

Over and out.
I am. I am interested in all opinions and views. Who cares if it goes around and around. You can move on, can't you?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Inspired by this Thread, I Googled the "real me".

Fascinating. Out of date, inaccurate and irrelevant. I am still completely unconcerned about the size of my CIV.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:02 pm

DrunkCargo,

Over and out.
I am late to the game; one day of discourse seems to be the extent of rigour exposed so far. (and I'm bored, waiting for a delayed flight) I rarely fly around that part of the world except to speak on "stuff", and even then I'm a star alliance kind of guy slugging it out on the likes of United and Luftansa, frequently borrowing the lavs as my "private suite". Seriously, unlimited water (to drink?), convenient access to drop nuggets, and completely isolation from others??? Sounds better than the F cabin suites some airlines are touting... I digress...

I grew up noticing all kinds of details which I wish I didn't. As a result, I see breaches of all kinds of laws frequently when I'm in public. Things like food safety, traffic safety (I don't drive btw)... and the thing is, it did bother me greatly in the past because if one breach is allowed, it seems equal to recanting the original rule, or at least accepting there are exceptions which can be judged by the individual actor in question. It has led to a lucrative career in various forms of "enforcement" and executive capacity.

But, I also noticed that when pointing out these concerns, that the peaceful discourse of society seemed to be broken. Whether right or wrong, it seems humans have these flaws. And sometimes it's nice to look in the mirror and realize, peace seems to make things flow a little easier than being right.

...and my love for scotch and retired mindset was born...

This doesn't address the possibility of automating humans out of the picture, but in the case of FAs, OZ214, etc... this seems unlikely in the near future. We'll have to keep putting up with these losers who never get it right, the same ones who let pax carry bags on incident evac...

If this forum didn't exist, I would be talking the ear off all my seatmates... FT rocks!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: ABBA
Look everyone, whether you agree or disagree with Short Finals views about this crew member, it is definately against the Data Protection Law for any BA employee to divulge the names of other passengers to anyone, whether they are also a passenger or not.
On my last flight (nearly a week ago) I was told at Sydney there were 3 people with my surname on the LHR-MAN flight (not a particularly common surname, we only have 10 people in our address book with it, and that's in about 30,000 people)

Then on the flight there was an announcement to ask if "Alison xxxx" was on board

Then at MAN there were announcements for "Alison xxxx" and "Someone Else" to contact baggage claim

You've also got the situation as above where people are greeted by name, both at the door and in seat. Sometimes the crew gets the wrong seat too, so Joe Blogs is approached and told "Hello Mr Smith"

Finally all the bags on the carousel have your surname on the bag-tag

The "leaking" of individual names is quite common, but then there's a valid reason for it. I don't see a reason for displaying the PIL on the other hand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.