Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: Ice Cream Club, AC SE MM, Bonvoy Life Plat
Originally Posted by NeverFirst
Oh, just stick around.

Also, be aware that even discussing the reasons for suspension is against the rules (crass generalisation there, but if you start saying, "why has X been suspended? Oh it's because he called Y a bronze-card holder" then you'll be in trouble yourself).
Eww, I would never want to be called a bronzer... =) Actually, I just blew C$20k on frivolous travel just to be #1 in this contest:

http://earnyourwings.aircanada.com/en

This is how bored I am. I'm thinking about booking some F flights and just randomly swapping with poor blokes in Y at the gate, assuming it doesn't cause some security issues...
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
I've read all 12 pages of this and given that I have had some practical experience of the DPA, I thought I'd throw in my two pence in the hope of adding something constructive.

It's really not clear to me what information was on the PIL. It definitely had passengers names on it and CIV score and marco suggested it also had BAEC card numbers on it. I'm assuming that's all there is but if any of the helpful BA cabin bods want to correct me that's cool.

If that was the only information on the PIL then it was personal data and the member of cabin crew did cause BA to be in breach of the DPA. (The DPA is applicable in this situation because BA is a British registered company, trading in the UK with contracts made in the UK).

From the point of view of the DPA though, I don't think the breach actually means anything. The personal data provided isn't sensitive enough to trigger an obligation on BA to report to the Information Commissioner (and I speak from experience - I recently advised on an analogous situation and IC advice is that it should only be reported where there's been an actual hack or attempt at theft on a mass scale).

As an individual, you have the right to sue BA for compensation as a result of a breach but you can only do that if you've suffered damage. I know that one poster here suggested a situation where someone might suffer damage and although I think it's incredibly unlikely (given that it relies on such a contrivance of circumstance as to be freakishly implausible), it's about the only situation where I could see a claim as succeeding. Otherwise, I fail to see how having someone travelling on the same plane as you see your name, CIV score and BAEC number could possibly cause you damage to trigger the right.

mario does have every right under the DPA to know what information BA has on him. However, the way to go about doing that is to make an information request to BA through the normal channels (usually this means writing to head office but the IC website gives more details on how to go about it). I don't doubt that the BA crew member was trying to be helpful but as some of the BA posters here have said, they clearly went against procedure to do so and I would suggest that the better response would have been either to have communicated the information directly without handing over the PIL or referring mario to the appropriate channel.

Re passenger manifests in galleys - provided BA can prove it's taking reasonable steps to maintain the security of that information, there's nothing to stop it from being processed (i.e. used) within the galley given that it's necessary for crew to do their job. Given the limited size of the galleys and the lack of secure space to display such information, I'd suspect that BA would get leeway on display of that information (to the extent that it is visible to anyone).

Ultimately, if I was a passenger on mario's plane and I discovered it, I have to say it wouldn't bother me. However, I recognise that people here do feel strongly about it and I would suggest that if someone was really upset about it, then the thing to do would be to make a complaint to BA and suggest some retraining to prevent mistakes in the future.

Finally, someone mentioned BA's separate duty of confidentiality. Again, for a breach of that to mean anything you have to prove damage and I don't see how you suffer damage on this particular set of facts. Wiser minds than mine may disagree.

Don't know if that's of any use or not, but it comes with honest intentions.

1F
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:41 pm

Wow! Slow forum day again?

Can we get suspended for having meta-discussion on the rules for which one can be suspended?

(Guess i'll find out! )

rb211.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hyatt, Marriot, HHonors
Originally Posted by JALlover
what does CIV score stand for?
Commercial Individual Value

Originally Posted by stickyfingers85
Can someone explain what a civ is?
Based on history of the Exec Card holder activity.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo

This is how bored I am. I'm thinking about booking some F flights and just randomly swapping with poor blokes in Y at the gate, assuming it doesn't cause some security issues...
Could you post the flights you book in F. If I like the look of them I'll buy a Y tkt and lurk at the gate
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
So if I take a list of names from the Electoral Roll, walk around and apply a rating to the tidiness of their front garden on the list, and then leave that list on a desk in the library I am in breach of the Act?
No. The Data Protection Act does not apply to data held for personal, social, or domestic purposes.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold
Dear all

Can I suggest you all actually read the basic terms of the DPA.

You can find them here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/section/1

Oh and big kudos 1nfrequent

Last edited by spbeck; Jul 19, 2013 at 5:23 pm
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:01 pm

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:55 am
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by angatol
I happened to be in row one today so very handy for finding my name on the manifest. For the first time, I've seen my CIV score and can happily relate that I'm 36 Lowest rung possible I believe, even though I managed 2000 TPs before they reset. I wonder if your CIV score resets at the same time too? I noticed there was a very high gold at 37 across from me, so I of course let him exit before me.
There should a rank, with all BA customers given an individual number. This number should be affixed to the seat, allowing the correct fealty to be shown.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by angatol
. For the first time, I've seen my CIV score and can happily relate that I'm 36 ............. I noticed there was a very high gold at 37 across from me, so I of course let him exit before me.
Oh no!!
Please......
No!
Not again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PLEASE NO!!!!!
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:32 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 10:00 pm
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I am very quiet. Humble, even. I'm just very grateful that BA allows OAPs to fly in their posh cabins. I had always thought we were banned, as we over-used the toilet/lavatory/bog, but I have discovered we can. This is a Good Thing.

As is Priority Boarding, which means I can totter to my seat at my own pace, instead of being trampled underfoot by Golds. The stairs to the Upper Deck are a bit of a challenge, but the helpful hands of the female CC make that an acceptable experience overall. And the bed is lovely ... Although I have to get vertical for takeoff and landing - that's annoying.

Where were we? Oh, yes, CIV. I'm not sure I have one of those. Don't you have to shop at Tesco to have one? Or is that an Internet thing? And where do you buy a DYKWIA? Is that on the BA e-shop thing?

It's hard being old, you know.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191

It's hard being old, you know.
Just take comfort in the knowledge that in normal daily life away from FT and flying the colour of your BAEC card and CIV score are of no importance whatsoever.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My CIV is 16, which I understand is the lowest possible for Silver, and in the last 12 months I achieved:

2x F, 5x CW, 4x CE and 4x domestic sectors, equivalent to 1,380 TPs if I had not used Avios and actually earning 960 TPs, more than 50% in excess of the Silver qualification threshold.

Seems like I am getting VFM!

Last edited by Sixth Freedom; Aug 18, 2013 at 1:15 pm
Old Aug 18, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Just take comfort in the knowledge that in normal daily life away from FT and flying the colour of your BAEC card and CIV score are of no importance whatsoever.
Normal life? Since I found FT I have become aberrant.

Is there a cure for being CIV/Status fixated? Will my Lounge experience be diminished? Will I get on board faster (relatively) than the rest? Is the white wine chilled? Is there a bread plate? Will the CC grovel with their iPads?

I'm sure FT, and particularly the BA Board, is shortening my life through worry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.