Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
What a nasty thread full of insults and unnecessarily bad feeling.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
If like me you are the one actually paying for your tickets the lower the CIV for your status level is a very good thing.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:24 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The DPA makes no distinction as to whether the data is held on a computer or in a paper filing system.

There is no distinction that some data is more personal than other data.

There is no distinction as to whether the data is of limited use to the recipient or not.

A breach is a breach is a breach.

The casual way the BA staffer handed over the PIL is one of the reasons why the DPA was needed in the first place.
I'm not saying that the FA giving a passenger the list is right. What I am saying is that some people need to get a perspective on things. The document is simply a list of names and loyalty card information. None of it is of any pecuniary advantage. So to say "I'm never flying BA again because they showed one GCH a list of names". If there was any useful data, I would understand annoyance.

I don't know what's got into the forum today. First of all there is a 'Dangerous Lounge " that turns out to be a thread about how a customer asked about boarding time and then thinks it is not his responsibility to check the displays. Now you have this one.

If BA was throwing credit card details into a skip undisguised and unshredded, then I'd understand. I stopped using Virgin Wines because I found out during a call to chase a delivery that my card details weren't kept locked away at all.

There's plenty going on in the world to make a drama out of. We don't need to look for it.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dubbin
+1. Either some people like to spend their time trolling or they are clearly far too sensitive for their own good. Either way, I'd question if this is a productive way for anyone to spend their time: This is exactly what puts people off contributing to internet fora.

For the record, if I'm on a flight and anyone reading this wants to look at my passenger details on the manifest, knock yourselves out. You could almost certainly find out more information by just sitting nearby and watching me for 5 minutes.

(If you do sit near me and observe my movements, keep it subtle, eh? )
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Short Final
If someone wants their information to be made public, they will post it on Facebook or Twitter at their own will and under their own steam.

If they undertake a transaction with a commercial entity, then there is an implied expectation of privacy, and in the case of an airline an expectation of security and safety. What if there was some high-profile individual on board, and the drunken people decided they didn't like them for political or whatever reasons and would go for some air rage ? (not saying it was the case in this particular situation, just speaking in general).

As BA staffers who have posted on this thread have pointed out, it was a big no no on the part of the cabin crew member. That sort of behaviour absolutely cannot be condoned, and if it were not for the wonders of employment law requiring disciplinary hearings, should be a sackable offence. Data Protection needs to be taken seriously and dealt with in the most severe terms when breaches are made. It is disgraceful, despicable and deeply unprofessional behaviour on the part of the cabin crew member involved.

However, as the originator was a FlyerTalk member, they should also have known better than to continue pushing too.
Another week, another similar thread. Although I think you are overreacting, I can't really disagree with your post apart from the last paragraph. It's absurd to think that somehow this is the fault of the op. You made a similar argument last week in a similar thread suggesting that someone was in the wrong for merely looking at a manifest left in their view. You've taken a reasonable initial argument and then blown it. You should have stopped while you were ahead.

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 17, 2013 at 12:50 am Reason: Repair quotation
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
I think you understand very well.

You knew very well the only place the CIV could be found was on the PIL.

You saw the crew member was unable to find your value for you.

You continued to push, knowing what the likely result was.

Sure the crew member should have refused, and I hope some other crew member saw what happened and that the offending crew member will be made subject to a thorough disciplinary hearing and retraining. However you should not have encouraged the behavour, and you should not have accepted the document when offered to you.
Just to clarify: I am not the OP, nor was I involved in this incident.

In your post you seemed to suggest that the OP did something illegal / morally reprehensible by asking for his CIV score and/or looking at the manifest that was offered to him. I don't understand why you think this is the case, and that's what I was questioning in my response to your post.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
As other people have mentioned, a breach of the DPA is a breach, you don't get big or small breaches.

Scenario.. bank to customer... oh we didn't tell the nice old lady any of your account details or any private information like that we only said you had banked with us for 20 years.

End result... nice old lady is ex wife of bank customer, who goes to her solicitor and says that her ex husband has maintained a bank account with ABC Bank for 20 years. Silicitor ensures that this bank account is included in divorce settlement..... but of course it was only a tiny breach of the DPA.....
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, CXMP Gold, Amex Plat, HH Gold, Accor Plat, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by dubbin
I couldn't agree more. Maybe it's the hot weather, but tempers seem to be flaring on various threads.

Can't we all just get along? We're a group of intelligent people who share many of the same passions in life. Our intelligence, varied upbringings, varied life's mean we all have different opinions. But that doesn't mean mine is more or less valid than anyone else's.

We all act in a very decent manner when we meet for DO's so why not mirror that on this board?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stifle
Please explain how the passenger manifest is a "relevant filing system" within the meaning of section 1 (1) of the Data Protection Act, 1998.

Also, there is in fact a distinction between sensitive personal data and other personal data.

The UK does not need more people to throw around the Data Protection Act without understanding it.
Bravo bravo!

A name with a third-party rating is not confidential data. Only if the third-party (BA) considers its rating (CIV) as private matter and not willing to publisize, then it is the third party's responsibility to pursue the protection of data.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:45 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by chongcao
A name with a third-party rating is not confidential data.
What a load of nonsense !

It is data associated with a name. It is therefore personally identifiable information. It is therefore 100% covered by the Data Protection Act.

The passenger manifest is confidential information, end of story. This has been confirmed by the many BA staffers who posted on this thread, and this will be readily confirmed by BA's data controller were you to ask them !

Personal data means data which relate to a living individual who can be identified –
(a) from those data, or
(b) from those data and other information which is in the possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of, the data controller,
and includes any expression of opinion about the individual and any indication of the intentions of the data controller or any other person in respect of the individual.
So both the passenger names and the associated data about their CIV scores, meal preferences etc. is all covered by the Data Protection Act.

Stop trying to make up silly excuses to justify the despicable and disgraceful actions of the cabin crew member.

Last edited by Short Final; Jul 17, 2013 at 1:04 am
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
What if there was some high-profile individual on board, and the drunken people decided they didn't like them for political or whatever reasons and would go for some air rage ? (not saying it was the case in this particular situation, just speaking in general).
Is that the most likely negative outcome?

If this high-profile individual was on board, and mere knowledge of the fact was, as you imply, potentially sufficient provocation, then how was the identity of this passenger going to be concealed from the other passengers that would see and/or interact with him?

However, as the originator was a FlyerTalk member, they should also have known better than to continue pushing too.
That's your interpretation, but it doesn't mean it's right. The OP asked, clearly expecting just to be given the answer verbally. That the staff member (staffer is an American term) did not or would not know where to find the CIV score was not anticipated. And by telling the staff member where to look, the OP would have expected the staff member to do just that - look, then tell.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Is that the most likely negative outcome?

If this high-profile individual was on board, and mere knowledge of the fact was, as you imply, potentially sufficient provocation, then how was the identity of this passenger going to be concealed from the other passengers that would see and/or interact with him?
I'm not even going to bother wasting much time replying to that. You're just trying defend the indifensible actions of the cabin crew member.

For example, if the drunkards were in J and the individual being targeted was in F .... they would not necessarily know of their presence were it not for seeing the manifest. Same if the drunkards were in lower J and the person targeted in upper J.

There are many potential negative outcomes, I just quoted one, I think that was fairly obvious that I was quoting an example scenario (I think I even made it clear it was just one example scenario in my original post) !
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:02 am

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Why don't we all agree that this was wrong and a breach of the Data Protection Law but unless the OP is going to identify the flight and crew member concerned there really is nothing that BA can do about this incident.

Hopefully the OP only looked at his own name and therefore did not notice the names of any other passengers and therefore no harm,in this particular incident, will have happened. As mentioned by others the list really only contains names but of course it is important that this is not shared with all and sundry.

As I mentioned earlier, we sit a Data Protection test every year and hopefully this crew member will be refreshed soon and realise the error of her ways.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
Why don't we all agree that this was wrong and a breach of the Data Protection Law but unless the OP is going to identify the flight and crew member concerned there really is nothing that BA can do about this incident.
If we can get to that point, I agree. I'll be happy enough if everyone can reach consensus that it was a breach of Data Protection Law.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 1:17 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.