Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Want to know your CIV score? Just ask then!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
It may well have been someone relatively new to BA but all crew annually sit a computor based learning programme about the data protection law and how it affects BA and it ends with a mandatory test that we have to pass.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:25 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingB1975

This is clearly out of line. If this is the way BA protects my personal data, then I shall consider very carefully if I should ever fly with them again.
Just a little OTT. Unless it contains security information or payment details the information will be of limited use to anyone, a bit of an overreaction there methinks.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stickyfingers85
Can someone explain what a civ is?
Considered Intellect Value

BA routinely monitor this forum and assess the contribution made by each of us. There is also some kind of algorithm, based on the number of posts you make and the number of threads you start.
That helps explain why some of the most prolific posters have such low CIV scores!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Let me start off by saying that the OP was way out of line in asking for the PIL. It is one thing for a BA employee who may not have been aware of the full scope of the UK privacy regulation to hand over a sensitive and private document, but it is way worse for someone to incite this sort of inappropriate behaviour. The OP being intoxicated may explain this, but it certainly does not excuse it.

If you read my post with a minimum of attention, you would have noticed that I never asked for the PIL. It was the crew member's initiative to hand it over to us. Clearly, your own English interpretation skills could do with a little brush up, no?

This is clearly out of line. If this is the way BA protects my personal data, then I shall consider very carefully if I should ever fly with them again.

Unless you were on that particular flight, I really don't think there's much to worry about.

Again, considering this comment is coming from the FTer that keeps himself amused by taking pictures of other pax's feet on the bulkhead and posting it here for everyone else to see, I think that's a bit rich.

I agree. All cabin members should know how to read the PIL. Then again, the OP should know the difference between now and know. Maybe the OP's first language is not English - but even then, this is a pretty basic mistake.

I'm pretty sure most people here would understand my words from a contextual point of view. For anyone who speaks English fluently, I'm sure it would be very clear that this is a typo, but thank you for pointing this out, if somehow this is relevant to you.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by mario
If you read my post with a minimum of attention, you would have noticed that I never asked for the PIL. It was the crew member's initiative to hand it over to us. Clearly, your own English interpretation skills could do with a little brush up, no?
The OP may want to look up the definition of the word "incite".
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by csdavidson
That's what I was thinking!

OP has also not told us their score... was it quite low?
CIV was 38. I suspect this is quite low, but I have no clue how low it gets for Golds. I shall refrain to post my companion's CIV score as I don't want to breach the Data Protection Act any more than I already did.

Originally Posted by T8191
Anyway, mario, it's Lo! And Behold!

Hope you are well, and that your CIV prospers.
Thank you for the relevant correction T8191. Long time no see! It didn't sound right but I wasn't sure if it was low or lo.

Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I can't beleive this crew member did not know what a CIV was and that they handed you the passenger information list!
Was this the in charge crew member, I hope not!!
It was indeed the in charge crew member that we interacted with.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Let me start off by saying that the OP was way out of line in asking for the PIL. It is one thing for a BA employee who may not have been aware of the full scope of the UK privacy regulation to hand over a sensitive and private document, but it is way worse for someone to incite this sort of inappropriate behaviour. The OP being intoxicated may explain this, but it certainly does not excuse it.

I agree. All cabin members should know how to read the PIL. Then again, the OP should know the difference between now and know. Maybe the OP's first language is not English - but even then, this is a pretty basic mistake.
For god sake get a grip! You sound like a right prat!

Its not like the data is your bank details or the pin numbers for your credit cards! To most people the data is irrelevant and most people wouldn't even care!
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Just a little OTT. Unless it contains security information or payment details the information will be of limited use to anyone, a bit of an overreaction there methinks.
The DPA makes no distinction as to whether the data is held on a computer or in a paper filing system.

There is no distinction that some data is more personal than other data.

There is no distinction as to whether the data is of limited use to the recipient or not.

A breach is a breach is a breach.

The casual way the BA staffer handed over the PIL is one of the reasons why the DPA was needed in the first place.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The DPA makes no distinction as to whether the data is held on a computer or in a paper filing system.

There is no distinction that some data is more personal than other data.

There is no distinction as to whether the data is of limited use to the recipient or not.

A breach is a breach is a breach.

The casual way the BA staffer handed over the PIL is one of the reasons why the DPA was needed in the first place.
Please explain how the passenger manifest is a "relevant filing system" within the meaning of section 1 (1) of the Data Protection Act, 1998.

Also, there is in fact a distinction between sensitive personal data and other personal data.

The UK does not need more people to throw around the Data Protection Act without understanding it.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:16 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by mario
CIV was xx. I suspect this is quite low, but I have no clue how low it gets for Golds. I shall refrain to post my companion's CIV score as I don't want to breach the Data Protection Act any more than I already did.

We've had this discussion here before - perhaps the crew member shouldn't have shown the PIL to a passenger, but it really is minor.

Also - without being there FlyingB1975 you don't know whether Mario incited the crew member or not. So to make that comment I think goes too far. Unless of course you were indeed on that flight, and Mario would have seen you CIV score
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I'm staying quiet this time after the last tirade I got.
This is why I find myself less willing to contribute on this forum.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by whiskerxx
Considered Intellect Value

BA routinely monitor this forum and assess the contribution made by each of us. There is also some kind of algorithm, based on the number of posts you make and the number of threads you start.
That helps explain why some of the most prolific posters have such low CIV scores!
Will I have a negative score then?

Last edited by Prospero; Jul 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm Reason: Repair quotation
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
You are right that it is against the Data Protection Law to show the names of other passengers on the flight to any other passengers. It is even against the Data Protection Law for us to confirm if someone else is onboard the flight.

Please rest assured that this is not a normal thing for a SCCM to do and that BA does take data protection very seriously.

All our passenger information lists are placed into confidential waste bins by the SCCMs and destroyed by BA.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by stifle
Please explain how the passenger manifest is a "relevant filing system" within the meaning of section 1 (1) of the Data Protection Act, 1998...
Because all of the data contained within the printed PIL was retrieved from a "relevant filing system".
Old Jul 16, 2013, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Also - without being there FlyingB1975 you don't know whether Mario incited the crew member or not. So to make that comment I think goes too far. Unless of course you were indeed on that flight, and Mario would have seen you CIV score
Who knows on which flight the OP was and what personal data s/he may have seen? Quite a few FT'ers may have been affected by this, and the fact that some seem not to mind doesn't make it right for the others.

I don't think we should take this lightly. As per my previous posting, I find it inappropriate to get cabin crew to reveal confidential material. The OP could have politely refused to look at the PIL, perhaps politely reminding the (no doubt well meaning) member of cabin crew that this data is not meant for the eyes of passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.