Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:23 am

Hello,

Great post and it's given me a lot of useful information.

If possible, I'd like to ask for your expert opinion on my situation with BA so that I've a better understanding of my positon.

My flight on the 18th Jan 2013 (BA2943 EDI -LGW) was cancelled due to the poor weather (that's the excuse they gave although LGW was open and operating the entire day). This was the last flight of the day so I thought that it would be cancelled as the snow had been forecasted the day before. I was booked on a 6am flight out of LGW on the 19th of Jan so, to make sure that I was in London, I called BA and asked them about booking on an earlier flight and was told they would charge me around £300 to do so. This option wasn't taken but instead I bought a second ealier flight on the website and then paid the £60 fee to attach the return leg of my journey to the new, ealier flight. At the time I did this the original outbound flight had not been cancelled.

I travelled on the new outbound flight and made it down to LGW with a slight delay but happy that I was there and could make my 6am flight the next day to enjoy my holiday. While in London I noticed that the original outbound flight had been cancelled a few hours before it was due to depart.

To change my travel plans cost me £208 and this was due to having the foresight to not rely on BA getting me down to LGW on the original booked sevice.

I've asked BA to refund the orignal booked outbound flight and the fee charged to change the booking but they've denied that request. Had I done nothing then it is my understanding that they would've had to have arranged rerouting free of charge or offer a refund. So far, they've not done any of these and I'm out of pocket for taking the initiative.

My question is...do I have any grounds for my request as I don't think my actions were unreasonable given the situation.

Thanks for your help,
Danny.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Was your 0600 flight from LGW on the same booking as your flight down from EDI?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:31 pm

No. BA Shuttle and the holiday was a tour operated charter by Monarch on a seperate ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:58 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by DannyJR

My question is...do I have any grounds for my request as I don't think my actions were unreasonable given the situation.
I'm afraid I would think it's unlikely that your request would succeed, except maybe a small chance of a goodwill gesture by BA.

If you booked a new flight without agreement of BA prior to your original flight being cancelled, then you cannot really expect to have any recourse. I also doubt insurance would cover you as the new booking was made before the original flight was cancelled.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 5:28 pm
uk1
Suspended

This thread (from the dashboard) seems to be the one to post all compensation feedback.

200,000 miles (ie 2 x 100,000) for our last miles redemption including amex 241 lhr>sin>lhr for some fairly trivial issues with lhr and sin lounges but also a complete power failure in F on the sin>lhr leg. This meant no adjustable bed, power, lights or ife for the entire trip. Apart from one magic male CC there was no csd involvement with us (he ignored us completely) and the rest of the CC were unusually poor - our first F experience of poor crewing overall.

Response from BA to a summary of the whole experience was a very reassuring note that made us feel that the issues were being taken seriously and that there were things they would learn from our documenting the whole experience fully - and the 200k is a generous response and we are happy.

We are really impressed with BAs response.^
Old Jan 30, 2013, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by uk1
Apart from one magic male CC there was no csd involvement with us (he ignored us completely)
You deserved the compensation for that alone.

Pretty poor performance from the CSD involved.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:57 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
You deserved the compensation for that alone.

Pretty poor performance from the CSD involved.
To be frank .. that was the most suprising. You'd think he'd simply have introduced himself and apologised. That would have made a difference. It is the first F flight we've had where we didn't chat to the CSD. He never returned to F once through the flight and I don't think he would have done if it wasn't to look at our seats just after takeoff.

I have a theory which mrs uk1 and I share.

We beleive that you can predict with almost 100% accuracy what the crew will be like during the flight when you see them congregatetogether in the gate lounge waiting to board. For example they either smile and laugh or not.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: SAS EBG, IHG Spire Amb, CCG
Delayed 5 hours in october because of missed connection at LHR, and further 1 hour delay on flight rebooked to.

Filed claim in october, and received answer today. 600 euro to paid to my account. My wife received the same.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: Diamond Club Silver, BAEC Silver,HHonors Silver, Virgin
Do you know how long the compensation payment takes to be paid into one's account? I got the email on Tues confirming payment and it just said 'shortly'. Hope it's not a long wait!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Normal clearing cycle in the UK is three days for business payments, so should land early next month.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA5MM
Question EC Regulation 261/2004 for delayed flights by 20+ hours

Hi All,

I was on a delayed BA57 LHR-JNB in Dec. Flight had an MX issue with the engine and flight was delayed from 20:00 local dep to 1700 local dep the next day. I tried submitting a Passenger Compensation Regulation on the ba.com website but received a message informing me that because the flight was not cancelled I am not eligible. My reading of the cash compensation section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passeng...ion_Regulation indicates I should be eligible.

Could someone please advise how best to go about seeking the compensation from BA?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Write a nice letter explaining the situation and put it in the post.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
What are my rights

I was on ba196 that was canceled. After consultation with my wife and prior engagements, it was decided that I would cancel my meetings in the afternoon and take BA194.

Turns out if I'd made my meeting and rebooked to sat I would be due £480.
What am I due because I had to cancel meetings and will now probably need to go back out to forefill them.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
My understanding is that BA's obligations to you are limited to carriage between the stated points on the ticket and accommodation in case of IRRPOS.

BA and all other airlines are not as I understand it liable for any subsequent trips you have to make due to changing travel arrangements, even in the event of a cancellation.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:42 pm

I'm a complete layman in such matters but I'd be surprised if you have any rights to compensation in this case.

Arriving late (subject to certain conditions) triggers compensation as determined by the EU. There's no such provision for agreeing to take a flight that gets in early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.