Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold
Short answer is nothing. BA is not responsible for consequential loss of the early departure as far as I understand. They will see it as you agreeing to take an earlier flight, and they got you to your destination early.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP chose to take an earlier flight and to create a situatifl on in which he "must" fly again. Even if that extra trip is somehow damage, it's consequential damage and expresssly excluded.

He's also due no compensation because he wasn't delayed and no duty of care because he went home early.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing. As others have said, no liability for consequential loss.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:02 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I am missing something then?

Unless this was extraordinary circumstances, the OP is entitled to €600 unless:

they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.

Looks the OP had to depart 4 hours earlier. We don't know if they were offered a connection that met the 1hr/2hr limits. But if not, there is little difference between between being forced early than delayed.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
What are my rights

In any case, surely a letter to BA is likely to produce some goodwill Avios or even cash compensation?!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by pauldb

they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.

Looks the OP had to depart 4 hours earlier. We don't know if they were offered a connection that met the 1hr/2hr limits. But if not, there is little difference between between being forced early than delayed.
Thanks Pauldb. I've had a look at that section in the EU legislation and I would have to say it applies. I will give it a go and see how I go. I will update this thread once I get a reply
Old Feb 3, 2013, 4:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by highlander100
Thanks Pauldb. I've had a look at that section in the EU legislation and I would have to say it applies. I will give it a go and see how I go. I will update this thread once I get a reply
I recommend reading Section 11) of the Wikipost of this (now merged) thread for reduced compensation for cancelled flights.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by pauldb

I'm with you on this one, assuming the cancellation was not caught be the extraordinary circumstances exclusion.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: KLM Plat, BA Bronze
I've read over the info again and I reckon i'm most probably due the E300. As by the letter of the law, though the flight was canceled and I was rebooked on an earlier flight, i'm caught by the fact that I was not more than 4 hours late so will probably get the reduced amount.

Will let you know what happens.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Update...

Originally Posted by Engineering Travel
I think the time varies, I have a ongoing claim for a 6 hour long haul from the middle of November 2012, the initial claim via email, no response after 6 weeks.
Followed up with letter and still no reply after a further 3 weeks.

Somewhere on here I have read that there is a back log of 30,000 plus claims.
Not expecting a reply for a while yet...

Just received BA email to say check in the post.

BA, thank you !
Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:51 am

13 hours + delayed. Do I have a case for compensation?

Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to suggest whether it is worth pursuing compensation for my rather extraordinary experience with BA during the recent LHR/snow fiasco in January. You might think 'no chance - it was weather', but read below and see if you still think that is the case.

18Jan : At LHR, Boarded BA175 to LasVegas. Sat unmoving for 6.5 hours. Then were told 'flight cancelled' and disembarked. No alternative flight given. No luggage returned. No assistance with finding a hotel. Found a local hotel and stayed overnight with no change of clothes/toiletries etc. During night was rebooked by my (US) travel agent onto flight on 20thJan
19 Jan : returned to LHR to retrieve luggage. Told 'Cannot have your luggage'. Went home.
20 Jan : Boarded BA175 to LasVegas. Sat unmoving for 7 hours. Very uncomfortable, poor communication - no announcement for 2 hours (at one point told 'PA not working'). Very distressed passengers, very hot, 2 people near-fainting, some in tears. After 5 hours were told 'flight rescheduled to tomorrow' but could not disembark for another 2 hours. When we got off, still no luggage, no accommodation. Flight was rescheduled for 11:30.
21 Jan : Returned to LHR for 8AM to find the 11:30 had been shifted to 2:30. Then was delayed to 3:30. Boarded but didnt take off until around 5:30PM.

In total 4 days (friday pm to monday pm) from original departure to when I arrived at Vegas. In that period, 13.5 hours sitting on BA175 on the ground, 9hrs in the air, no luggage returned.

Trip was a business trip with commercial impact - I was due to present at a conference and was a no-show which affected both my employer and my career.

(I was the poor guy you may have heard interviewed and quoted on BBC Today Program, BBC News, 5Live and various other media channels during this time. As I said to BA in a letter, I was a 'very visible, very unhappy customer').

A colleague that was only impacted by the one cancellation on the 18th received offer of 200GBP evoucher from BA. I received the same offer, rejected it, received 350GBP evoucher offer, rejected it, got radio silence from BA. Now found this forum (great)!

So, there it all is. Can anyone suggest whether there is a case for financial compensation in that whole sorry story? I know BA can't control the weather, but it only really snowed with impact on the 18th, and the rest was catchup/knockon, mostly around waiting for the plane to be de-iced.

Thanks in advance, and if I should post this somewhere else, feel free to tell me that too!

Ian
(BA ExecClub Silver)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:07 am

That's an unfortunate story and you have my sympathy. I had a somewhat similar situation a few years back where I was in a connecting hub when a blizzard hit my destination and I spent 2 or 3 days in involuntary transit without luggage. I don't recall getting any compensation though (at most they may have given me partial payment for lodging, but I think actually we were just grateful we found lodging given all the people stranded at the time).
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Greetings ianaitch to FlyerTalk

Originally Posted by ianaitch
(I was the poor guy you may have heard interviewed and quoted on BBC Today Program, BBC News, 5Live and various other media channels during this time. As I said to BA in a letter, I was a 'very visible, very unhappy customer').
Greetings ianaitch, welcome to FlyerTalk. Apologies for not spotting your arrival earlier. I vividly remember your interviews on the Today Programme, and the amusing way it was handled by your famous presenter! Anyway, welcome to FlyerTalk, it would be good to see a lot more of you here, there are plenty of VIPs in this forum and room for many more!

You may have a bit of a case since I guess you could (a) stand up in court and explain how BA could have handled this better - some of the delay would be avoidable even if not all of it; (b) list out all the other USA flights by other airlines that got through ok. However personally I would not go through that hassle with an uncertain outcome, a £350 voucher seems reasonable to me, but maybe ask for it in Avios to mutual benefit?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:10 pm

Damage not caused by BA?

Hi all,

Hoping that someone can offer some advice:

My flight BA0214 on 15 Nov 2012 departed from Heathrow about four hours late, and arrived three hours 35 mins late. At the time, BA reported that there was a problem with the door, which needed to be fixed. After about an hour, they said that the problem was fixed, but that they then needed to get someone to sign-off the fix, which took another three hours.

I wrote to them asking for compensation, but they have just written back to say that the flight was "delayed due to aircraft damage which was not caused by British Airways", and therefore BA is not liable.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do next please?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Please clarify. BA214 departs from BOS, not LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.