Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
Well that was nice. Called BA customer services, recorded message that they are very busy so please visit BA.com. Then cut off.
I retract this mini-rant... I just called via Gold phone number and a very nice agent sorted it for me on the spot. Should be paid later today. Apparently there are 45,000 in the backlog...
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This is a fantastic resource, thanks so much for the effort put into it!

Couple of Questions which I didn't find a clear answer to in the main info (yes I did read it all, I think!):

Do the EU regs apply to non EU carriers flying into the EU?
Do extraordinary circumstances trump the duty of care? IE should BA put me up in a hotel if there is a weather delay?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: Diamond Club Silver, BAEC Silver,HHonors Silver, Virgin
I made my claim on 23 October via webform and have heard nothing despite following up with a couple of phone calls. I've just spoken again to BA to another very helpful lady in CS (maybe the same one as the previous poster) who has assured me that she will chase and it should be paid (if qualifying for the compensation) today or tomorrow.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:20 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
BA were pretty quick when I submitted a claim on 7th December - I had a response 10 days later and a cheque for 600 euros turned up about 5 days after that.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by clearedforlanding
Do the EU regs apply to non EU carriers flying into the EU?
No (they would apply to SQ on the FRA-MAN flight though)

Do extraordinary circumstances trump the duty of care? IE should BA put me up in a hotel if there is a weather delay?
No they don't, and Yes BA should. A big benefit of flying EU airlines is, should a volcano occur, you will be looked after.

When it comes to compensation, I ask myself "did the carrier do all they could". This means
* a 24/7 phone line and/or website allowing me to rebook onto any carrier in any class that's available
* some proactive messaging system which email/texts me telling me that my flight has been cancelled, and I have a room booked at the xxx hotel and the hotel will pay for the taxi, rather than a 2 hour queue waiting for a single outstation to dole out instructions.

In Coldwalkers case, rebooking options would include Air China direct, or the 1700 SAS via CPH to arrive 13:05.

In both of those cases, BA could have avoided the €600 compensation. BA make a business decision not to, having failed to meet their end of the contract, and they will have to pay the compensation.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
In both of those cases, BA could have avoided the €600 compensation. BA make a business decision not to, having failed to meet their end of the contract, and they will have to pay the compensation.
I agree with your point of view. Just before hurricane Sandy, AA cancelled my flight to NYC from DCA and rebooked me on DL flying to NYC. The decision not to fly to NYC was surely a business decision due to getting aircraft and staff into a better position for during and after the storm. If I hadn't been rebooked, I would've been paying my own hotel and paying for onward alternative transport by train or car. I looked at all flights to JFK/LGA/EWR that landed after my cancelled flight was due to arrive, and there were many.

Even so, I doubt I would apply for compensation if I were sat an extra 3 hours in GF and suffered no adverse consequences in arriving at my destination. Well, I'd probably be a bit worse for wear after 3 extra hours in GF
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by apuleius
I made my claim on 23 October via webform and have heard nothing despite following up with a couple of phone calls. I've just spoken again to BA to another very helpful lady in CS (maybe the same one as the previous poster) who has assured me that she will chase and it should be paid (if qualifying for the compensation) today or tomorrow.
I spoke to a chap.Very helpful, checked the file and apologised. Have just received a confirmation email so well done to customer relations this time.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Hello,

This is a great comprehensive topic. I had a problem with Swiss, so star-alliance, but I think the wiki here is far more applicable than only BA. Great stuff and well explained.

If you find it inappropriate here my comment, please remove it.

I had on 23/12 a cancellation of VIE - Zagreb leg in my ticket. Booked this in order to get SEN. After being 3 hours in the aircraft is was cancelled due to technical problems.

Original : BRU - VIE - ZAG - VIE _ BRU. VIE- ZAG - VIE got cancelled and I flew back to Brussels from VIE.

Orbitz sent me by mail --) had no internet-access !!, a rebooking into a later flight what I only saw when I was in Brussels. Was afraid not be able to return to Brussels, as I left on 24/12 on another flight to Porto.

If I read all well, I am entitled to : reimbursement + 600 euro. ( technical problems and heavy frozing, but finally cancelled for tech)

Orbitz contacted Swiss and I get only the non flown part --) 45% ticket-price. Is this correct?

Another problem : I made Senator with this flight, so if I am taken away this flight ( BRU - VIE was my choice so gave me 13.000 miles!), I fall beneath the Gold-card!

Hopefully you can enlighten me a little bit.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mgo72
Hello,

This is a great comprehensive topic. I had a problem with Swiss, so star-alliance, but I think the wiki here is far more applicable than only BA. Great stuff and well explained.

If you find it inappropriate here my comment, please remove it.

I had on 23/12 a cancellation of VIE - Zagreb leg in my ticket. Booked this in order to get SEN. After being 3 hours in the aircraft is was cancelled due to technical problems.

Original : BRU - VIE - ZAG - VIE _ BRU. VIE- ZAG - VIE got cancelled and I flew back to Brussels from VIE.

Orbitz sent me by mail --) had no internet-access !!, a rebooking into a later flight what I only saw when I was in Brussels. Was afraid not be able to return to Brussels, as I left on 24/12 on another flight to Porto.

If I read all well, I am entitled to : reimbursement + 600 euro. ( technical problems and heavy frozing, but finally cancelled for tech)

Orbitz contacted Swiss and I get only the non flown part --) 45% ticket-price. Is this correct?

Another problem : I made Senator with this flight, so if I am taken away this flight ( BRU - VIE was my choice so gave me 13.000 miles!), I fall beneath the Gold-card!

Hopefully you can enlighten me a little bit.
You can get a refund of the whole ticket if your trip became devoid of purpose following the cancellation of the VIE-ZAG-VIE segments. If you were just doing a turnaround in ZAG without staying there purely for mileage run purposes, however, you might have some difficulty to establish that your trip became devoid of purpose.
Also: they would probably be entitled to take away the miles from your account if they reimburse you in full.

You are also entitled to €600 as long as there are no extraordinary circumstances.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angatol
Not that I read Danish, but your link isn't a link to anything.
Oops! Sorry. Corrected now.

Johan
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: BAEC
This is a very informative thread - thanks for all the work.

I have a question about a trip I have in two weeks. I am travelling from YOW to LHR.

The ticketing airline is BA and the operating airline from YOW - YYZ is Westjet (BA code share). My booking has me leaving YOW at 6:00 PM arriving YYZ at 7:09 PM with the BA flight to LHR at 9:45PM. (there are two flights YYZ - LHR each day, 9:45 is the last one)

I have been keeping an eye on the Westjet connecting flight over the past week and it has been delayed on 3 occasions in the last week, two of which arrived so late such that I would not have made the connection. One of the days it was 3 hours late. This seems to be a common occurrence.

What happens if this is the situation on the day I fly, who is responsible?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by charliei
This is a very informative thread - thanks for all the work.

I have a question about a trip I have in two weeks. I am travelling from YOW to LHR.

The ticketing airline is BA and the operating airline from YOW - YYZ is Westjet (BA code share). My booking has me leaving YOW at 6:00 PM arriving YYZ at 7:09 PM with the BA flight to LHR at 9:45PM. (there are two flights YYZ - LHR each day, 9:45 is the last one)

I have been keeping an eye on the Westjet connecting flight over the past week and it has been delayed on 3 occasions in the last week, two of which arrived so late such that I would not have made the connection. One of the days it was 3 hours late. This seems to be a common occurrence.

What happens if this is the situation on the day I fly, who is responsible?
Reg 261/2004 applies to the operating carrier, so Westjet, except that Westjet is not an EU airline and the flight is within Canada, therefore Reg 261/2004 does not apply. Westjet would, I believe, still have to sort out your re-routing to London if you missed the BA flight but you would not be entitled to 'care' or 'compensation' under Reg 261/2004.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:31 pm

Hmmm. Great thread, very well put together, thanks.

Here's a scenario that doesn't seem to be covered and grateful for an opinion.

Family of 3 flying on return leg barbados to gatwick, club. 2-4-1 adults (100k) and 100k miles child. Flight is cancelled due to technical fault. Arrive airport, Due to number of passengers we cannot be guaranteed a club flight back for at least 2 days - or offered a virgin economy flight leaving same day. We have to get back so no choice but to take that flight. What compensation do you think we are due? BA not replied.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:46 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by NickB
You can get a refund of the whole ticket if your trip became devoid of purpose following the cancellation of the VIE-ZAG-VIE segments. If you were just doing a turnaround in ZAG without staying there purely for mileage run purposes, however, you might have some difficulty to establish that your trip became devoid of purpose.
Also: they would probably be entitled to take away the miles from your account if they reimburse you in full.

You are also entitled to €600 as long as there are no extraordinary circumstances.
Wouldn't that be a lesser amount than €600 (€250 I think, assuming it is Category 1?) due to the short distance involved?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Popester
Hmmm. Great thread, very well put together, thanks.

Here's a scenario that doesn't seem to be covered and grateful for an opinion.

Family of 3 flying on return leg barbados to gatwick, club. 2-4-1 adults (100k) and 100k miles child. Flight is cancelled due to technical fault. Arrive airport, Due to number of passengers we cannot be guaranteed a club flight back for at least 2 days - or offered a virgin economy flight leaving same day. We have to get back so no choice but to take that flight. What compensation do you think we are due? BA not replied.
BA should pay you:

75% of the total money you transferred to BA for the ticket (Taxes for CW return tickets 2 Adults, 1 child)
AND
150,000 miles (75% of the total miles spent on the ticket)
AND
€1800 (assuming you arrived home >4 hours late)

Your 2-4-1 probably won't come back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.