Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:20 am

Programs: Back down to BA Blue
Originally Posted by Pc2k24
Hi team,

Currently sat in the ba lounge terminal 3 waiting for the delayed ba 662 to Larnaca. Original departure time was 0840 with a new time set at 1155. The reason given at the gate and in the lounge was a lack of crew. Would eu261 apply here?

Thanks!
I'm in exactly the same boat; hallo Pc2k24 Do come and say hi if you're brave enough- I'm by the silver bar window on the left, yellow sleeved tshirt...
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by xmassheep
I'm in exactly the same boat; hallo Pc2k24 Do come and say hi if you're brave enough- I'm by the silver bar window on the left, yellow sleeved tshirt...
Can see someone in yellow and black?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Pc2k24
Can see someone in yellow and black?
I've just moved, but yes!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:42 am

Thank you both for your responses. BA in the future for me!

Out of interest, do you guys who are on cancelled flights today qualify under EU 261/2004. By strict reading of the law, if the airport is open and BA are choosing to operate some flights and not other (or could operate the flights but are not doing so as the planes aren't there) then presumably they are not doing everything that could be reasonably expected of them to get you to your final destination on time.

Is that right? It sounds a little harsh on BA, but I'm interested in people interpretations.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by divito
Out of interest, do you guys who are on cancelled flights today qualify under EU 261/2004. By strict reading of the law, if the airport is open and BA are choosing to operate some flights and not other (or could operate the flights but are not doing so as the planes aren't there) then presumably they are not doing everything that could be reasonably expected of them to get you to your final destination on time.
Personally, I would not claim the EU compensation. Some flight cancellations were required and necessary, and it would have been bad luck if the flight I was on was cancelled.

I can be brutal with crew shortages in normal times for instance and would claim the EU compensation if that occurred without extenuating circumstance, but the weather-related cancellations, to me personally, are within 'extraordinary circumstance', even if it was not absolutely essential that the particular flight I was on was cancelled.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:01 am

Programs: BA GGL
I'd have to agree LTN Phobia. BA have been very good at helping me out in the past when I've really needed it. I think it would be downright rude to try and claim compensation for delays enforced by snow.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by divito
Probably in the shades of grey area. Personally, if it got to court, I can see the BA solicitor standing up and saying "we were told by ATC to cut 25% of our flights out of LHR, something had to give and most unfortunately the claimant's flight was one that we, in these extraordinary circumstances, were forced to cancel". I imagine most District Judges, given that and the weather reports, would not find for the claimant, but that's my view. A big test is what could BA have done about it? If it meant operating your flight then presumably another flight would be cancelled and so a different bunch of people would end up claiming EU261.

There are cases where if a flight is cancelled as a knock-on effect that the airlines are held responsible. One case that springs to mind (not BA, if I recall) is where a Caribbean flight got cancelled due to a hurricane. However it turned out that there wasn't a hurricane in either the island concerned, or indeed Europe, but the aircraft concerned was stuck in the wrong place due to its previous schedule and the aforementioned hurricane. The claimant won that case. This is logical, there were things that the airline could have done to have mitigated the situation.

In addition, I agree with LTN Phobia. Pure commonsense tells you to apply your own reasonableness test to this, since if you don't, your District Judge will do it for you! If BA look after me (as they have done in my case over the last 48 hours) then I have no complaint.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 1:28 pm

Re pc2k24's earlier question; we left LHR at around 12-1230 (arrived LCA around 1630 GMT after being told at the gate around 0825 that the scheduled 0840 departure was delayed to 1155. The captain apologised when we boarded that he had gone over his hours yesterday and consequently could not fly at 0840.

I have no complaint or plan to claim for the delay as I feel lucky to have flown at all; however, do I have grounds for complaining that the delay could have been announced earlier? I know that things have been manic for BA, but T3 was quiet and surely it would have been straightforward to announce the delay before T-15?

Hope all who are still snowbound get away soon!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There are cases where if a flight is cancelled as a knock-on effect that the airlines are held responsible. One case that springs to mind (not BA, if I recall) is where a Caribbean flight got cancelled due to a hurricane. However it turned out that there wasn't a hurricane in either the island concerned, or indeed Europe, but the aircraft concerned was stuck in the wrong place due to its previous schedule and the aforementioned hurricane. The claimant won that case. This is logical, there were things that the airline could have done to have mitigated the situation.
I think you will find it was BA who cancelled a flight from MCO to LGW when the aircraft tasked to perform that flight was grounded in KIN due to a hurricane. BA simply failed to take any reasonable measures to prevent the cancellation despite availability of spare aircraft or crew. The full story is here: http://www.flightmole.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Flight expect arrival and actual arrival falls between threshold

Thanks to corporate-wage-slave for starting this thread.

Sorry to cross post but the more research I conduct on 261/2004, the more confused I get especially about 11.) in post 1 and the contents of post 13.

Looking for some advice on what my rights are. At first I'm thinking just a refund of Avios due to downgrade but now I'm not sure if she is due a delay compensation as well.

1.) Spouse's employer paid (or will pay after her expenses are processed) for JFK-LHR R/T in CW.
2.) She used her Avios to upgrade JFK-LHR to F.
3.) Was informed at check-in at JFK her flight (JAN 21 BA114) delay by 3 to 4 hours. Inbound equipment delay. (This is probably due to snow/de-icing issue at LHR).
4.) Rebooked on earlier flight in CW (BA172). She ultimately arrived 40 minutes prior to her original scheduled arrival time but in CW.
6.) Her original flight BA114 eventually arrived 2h47m behind schedule but at one point when she was at JFK, the expected arrival delay for BA114 was between 3 to 4 hours.

After reading this thread’s post 1 and 13, I’m a bit confused.

According to 261/2004 her original flight delay was expected to between 3 to 4 hours so no Article 7 compensation due to Article 6 requiring a 4 hour delay. However according to Sturgeon, a 3+ hour delay entitles her to Article 7 compensation.

According to Article 7, when rerouted and passenger arrives below 4 hours, compensation may be reduced by 50%.

Am I interpreting correctly that JFK-LHR with a 3+ hour expected delay entitles Article 7 compensation even if the original flight’s ultimate arrival time is under 3 hours?

Am I interpreting correctly that since my spouse was rerouted and actually arrived earlier than her original scheduled departure, she is still entitled to 50% compensation?

Am I interpreting correctly she is also covered by the downgrade regulations?

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:05 pm
Original Member

Upon further research, it appears Sturgeon applies to actual arrival time, so I guess no compensation other than downgrade.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
High quality stuff here - thanks to all concerned.

Can I ask those who are very clearly in-the-know on this subject how often these claims actually reach the courts and just how hard BA (or other carriers) fight them?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
I think the time varies, I have a ongoing claim for a 6 hour long haul from the middle of November 2012, the initial claim via email, no response after 6 weeks.
Followed up with letter and still no reply after a further 3 weeks.

Somewhere on here I have read that there is a back log of 30,000 plus claims.
Not expecting a reply for a while yet...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by seawolf
Upon further research, it appears Sturgeon applies to actual arrival time, so I guess no compensation other than downgrade.
Indeed that would be my reading. If she had been a re-routed and a bit late then she would get a 50% payment for the delay, though there's scope for an argument even on that one.

But I would focus on the downgrade only. As mentioned in the other thread in theory you get 75% of the entire ticket price, the airline seems look at just the leg concerned, but the CAA have indicated it's the entire ticket cost that should be used, there and back. I suspect BA will offer just a return of the Avios, but you seem to be on firm grounds claiming 75% of those Avios, plus 75% of the cash price for that leg. It may be a very different argument if your wife chose this option rather than be delayed to a later flight in First.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 7:27 am
Original Member

Thanks. In the interest of minimizing cross posting, I will only reply here if BA comes back with a 261/2004 compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.