Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
And I can fully see why BA are denying it. It wasn't BA that closed the airport , it was HAL

I think that you would be hard pushed to convince a judge that a maintenance issue with flight A that necessitated an emergency landing and that landing was at airport where you were departing from and that after the landing the airport was unable to schedule departures that then led to a flight delay and so that was BA's fault that it could have avoided is going to be a hard sell
I disagree, pure weather factors will be difficult to press but something like this is really arguable.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I disagree, pure weather factors will be difficult to press but something like this is really arguable.
I wouldn't want to be trying to argue that the complete chain of events leads to BA being liable for compensation for a different flight being cancelled, but if happy to take the gamble of paying the costs of claiming it should it lose, then go for it

I cannot see BA paying up for this unless it loses at court
Old Dec 28, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a discussion between Dave Noble and myself in posts #571 to #581 above that go over these issues.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Does the recent Joburg/collision quality for compensation?

Can someone give me their opinion on whether the BA flight I was on departing Joburg on 22nd December which collided with a building as it was attempting to take off would be covered under EU261?

Details of the incident in this long thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...uilding-3.html

The reason i'm asking is because i've been approached by BA for my account and awarded Avios but they didn't mention anything else. I have looked online and believe that I should be entitled to the 600 Euros which is the standard compensation for a passenger who has their flight cancelled and is forced to stay in a hotel overnight and then rebooked on a flight 23 hours after the original departure time.

I don't want to waste my time writing a letter (or the people at the other end) if I'm not entitled to the standard compensation.

Any advice for board members?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 12:32 pm

It will depend on what the final report onto the cause says , I would think. Based on reports that it seems to have been a pilot's mistake, then I would expect that there would be compensation due and so would put in a claim
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: BA Blue, United GM, Priority Club Platinum
Hi all,

I had the following response from BA that resulted from a 5 hour delay earlier this month. They refused the claim, but I'm not sure that it should end here, based on the first posts in this thread. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

BA Quote:

Your claim for compensation has been refused because flight BAXXX on XX December 2013 was delayed due to unexpected flight safety shortcomings, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, British Airways is not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

During our final safety checks of the previous flight, we noticed a fuel leak under the wing prior to departure, which led to aircraft change. As the aircraft had been maintained in accordance with the manufacturers guidelines, this constitutes as extraordinary circumstances and could not have been avoided.

Unfortunately airline operations are subject to circumstances outside the airline's control. British Airways takes all reasonable measures to avoid delaying a flight in such circumstances. Consideration is given to whether there are any operational options available before a decision to delay is made. We are sorry that the delay was necessary in this case.

Thanks,

scotti81
Old Dec 30, 2013, 7:43 pm

This would read to me that compensation is due

Write back stating that you do not accept that this is an extraordinary situation out side of the airline's control and that you require payment within 7 days and that you will take action should payment not be received
Old Dec 30, 2013, 9:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I agree with Dave Noble. It's a recent development that they take this approach to technical issues, and it would be interesting to hear what happens if you challenge it.

Have a look at post number 1301. There are substantial differences (and the case much more clear cut in my view) but it does show that they do over-ride themselves, in that case on the third time of asking.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 2:13 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
I would be tempted to request the a/c maintenance records. I've had a lot of technical issues on my recent BA flights:

- Fuel leak
- APU non functional, required air starter arrived late
- Wrong size stairs arriving, then baggage two hours to arrive (from an E170)

The first two were resolved < 2hours, so no delays wrt EU 261. The last one led to a huge delay, but was weather related, as it was during last year's snurricane, and the flight was diverted to STN. So no chance for compensation there either.

But, it does seem to me that there are an awful lot of technical issues with BA of late. But, perhaps I've just been unlucky.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:32 am

Programs: EK Siver, Dusit Gold, Cycling Proficiency Test, Tufty Club Member and Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Travelling home from Rome to ABZ last May.

BA dumped us onto LH as the FCO-LHR was running very late.

LH were late in getting to FRA so we missed the last connection of the day.

LH put us up and fed us. Ariived back in ABZ 13hrs late.

LH flatly refused compensation.

We used Refund Me, who for 15% of the payout, have secured a £260 payment for us both.

Took from May till now, but worth the effort.

Not strictly a BA problem, but may be of use to someone.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by ballogie
Travelling home from Rome to ABZ last May.

BA dumped us onto LH as the FCO-LHR was running very late.

LH were late in getting to FRA so we missed the last connection of the day.

LH put us up and fed us. Ariived back in ABZ 13hrs late.

LH flatly refused compensation.

We used Refund Me, who for 15% of the payout, have secured a £260 payment for us both.

Took from May till now, but worth the effort.

Not strictly a BA problem, but may be of use to someone.
Indeed, as LH took on carriage it was their issue so you were correct to chase them up. Well done, a lot of people have had very little luck with LH so it's nice to see some success there ^
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by greg5
I would be tempted to request the a/c maintenance records. I've had a lot of technical issues on my recent BA flights:

- Fuel leak
- APU non functional, required air starter arrived late
- Wrong size stairs arriving, then baggage two hours to arrive (from an E170)

The first two were resolved < 2hours, so no delays wrt EU 261. The last one led to a huge delay, but was weather related, as it was during last year's snurricane, and the flight was diverted to STN. So no chance for compensation there either.

But, it does seem to me that there are an awful lot of technical issues with BA of late. But, perhaps I've just been unlucky.
I wouldn't. I would simply state that maintenance issues are not an extraordinary circumstance. It is up to BA to prove that it is an extraordinary circumstance, not for the passenger to prove it isn't
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
I was on the same fuel leak- 5 hours delay (although seemed like 7 to me) flight and got the same reply (LHR to IAD). BA denied compensation also so I asked for 50k Avios and they granted 40k. Was not too happy with the outcome but happy enough to quit pressing since I needed the Avios to buy some flights as gifts.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Blue, United GM, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This would read to me that compensation is due

Write back stating that you do not accept that this is an extraordinary situation out side of the airline's control and that you require payment within 7 days and that you will take action should payment not be received
Thanks for your thoughts (and you, C-W-S). From what I have read in the thread, it seemed to me that they were trying to get out of these claims using this new language.

I'll take your advice and reply accordingly. I'll update with more info when I can.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 4:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Archived

Please continue to post your Regulation 261/2004 related questions and share your advice, here...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...l#post22060880

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.