Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:31 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by stewaran
Just received a cheque for £486.55,

How on earth do BA equate that to €600!!!!! :-(
Your lucky, this weeks value pay out for me is £483.50
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by angatol
According to Nat West, you'd get £477 for €600, £465, from Travelex and £507 from tefx.co.uk. Sounds like they use a pretty average Euro buying rate.
But they are not buying Euro's to pay me. they are a uk company who I pay in GBP and they are paying me in GBP.

I just think for the sake of an extra £30 they have lost more good will from me.

Having said that ive just changed jobs and my miles flown will be down about 90% this year. So no need for them to worry
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:59 am

But they are not buying Euro's to pay me. they are a uk company who I pay in GBP and they are paying me in GBP.
What rate should they use? It would probably be easier for BA just to pay out in Euro, but if they decide to pay in GBP, should they use a mid-market rate, a buy or sell rate, or IATA ROE? I really have no idea.

Edit. Actually, when was this flight?

From this thread: http://www.flightmole.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602
I get the impression that the exchange rate should be that of the date of the flight.

Last edited by angatol; Feb 15, 2013 at 3:06 am
Old Feb 15, 2013, 3:52 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
An interesting discussion with Customer Relations there. I had a simple claim for accommodation costs from the snow disruption a few weeks ago, but mentioned the right to care in 261/2004 as LCY ground staff told me "we're not doing accommodation because it's act of god". This seems to have routed my complaint off to the EU compensation team, who have something of a backlog.

However, it seems that normal Customer Relations people can deal with claims just for the care aspect. The lady I spoke to said I wasn't entitled to anything under the EU regulation, but she would happily pay my accommodation straight away. I couldn't really be bothered pointing out that compensation and the right to care both come under the same regulation... But it does seem that they class care-only claims differently from compensation claims (with the latter being sent to a special team for rebuttal )

So the moral of the story - if you just want them to pay for your hotel, don't mention 261/2004 in the first instance, or it may unnecessarily delay your claim.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 4:23 am

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have had a good few bad experiences with BA, and sometimes wonder why I still fly with them. two of the worst I feel I should be entilted to compensatio for, but doubt that I will get any.

In both incidences I wrote to BA and was given a derisery amount of Airmiles, which as I knoew no better I accepted. Does that mean I no longer have the right to compensation.

The first was a delay in March 2011 due to technical issues from EDI to LHR, which meant myself hisband and two sons missed out connecting (same booking) flight to Miami. the other fly in the oinbtment for this one was that the flight was bookied through Royal caribbean, so that might also reder it void for claiming. This was the last flight of the day to Miami and we were put up inh a hotel with dreadful food until the first flight the next day. We arrived about 21 hrs later than planned, lost one day car hire cost, hotel accomodation for one night and worst of all a day at Disney. We got 10K airmiles each compensation.

In October last year I flew (booked through BA website) with my mum to Jersey from EDI via LHR. On the way back our flight from LHR to EDI was cancelled. I have no idea why. The next flight was delayed and we ended up with a total delay of 7 hrs. Not fun for an 86 year old blind lady, or me. We did get £10 meal vouchers, and my complaint letter gave me 5K avios and my mum £50 towards another flight.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Both of these seem to be eligible for compensation of €600 for the first incident and €250 for the second. I suggest you write in and ask for it.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:39 am

Just received a cheque for £486.55,

How on earth do BA equate that to €600!!!!! :-(
Should be the interbank euro to sterling rate on the date of your delayed flight.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by angatol
What rate should they use? It would probably be easier for BA just to pay out in Euro, but if they decide to pay in GBP, should they use a mid-market rate, a buy or sell rate, or IATA ROE? I really have no idea.

Edit. Actually, when was this flight?

From this thread: http://www.flightmole.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602
I get the impression that the exchange rate should be that of the date of the flight.
flight was December 6th (or there abouts!). so i guess the rate then could have been different. I just looked at it and thought If i change this to euros i would get less than €550.

Im certainly no expert
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:25 am

flight was December 6th (or there abouts!).
According to xe.com, the mid-market rate on that date was 1.2389411734 and would produce a princely £484
Old Feb 15, 2013, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by stifle
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Both of these seem to be eligible for compensation of €600 for the first incident and €250 for the second. I suggest you write in and ask for it.
Really even although they gave me what they considered compensation and the Miami flight was booked through Royal caribbean. Fantastic. I have been smarting over missing a day at Disney with the boys are a couple of years.

Is there an email address I can write to? Not too good with snail mail, and tried to log the complaint for the Miami flight on the website, but it says the flight is not eligible for compensation. The original flight was only delayed by 40 mins, but that meant we missed the connection, so I suppose they are correct, but the form wouldn't let me put in connecting flights only one.

Thank you.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by earn
The original flight was only delayed by 40 mins, but that meant we missed the connection, so I suppose they are correct, but the form wouldn't let me put in connecting flights only one.
If you had two separate bookings and BA only delayed you 40 minutes on their flight, I don't think you have any right to compensation. That's the risk of making separate bookings unfortunately, and if you have to do that, you really need to insure against it. I normally never take out insurance apart from essential medical cover, but I probably would if a 40 minute delay in a domestic connection would mean missing an international flight and having to go the next day.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:18 am

Sorry, my terminology was probably wrong, which has caused some confusion. The flights were on the same booking. In fact we tried to get on the earlier flight from EDI as it was not full, but BA wouldn't let us. We arrived at the airport very early to try that, as we knew it was tight if there were any delays.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:44 am

Ok. So it was EDI-LHR-MIA on one single BA booking reference? If so, then you are definitely entitled to the 600 euro compensation.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level

Is there an email address I can write to? Not too good with snail mail, and tried to log the complaint for the Miami flight on the website,

Thank you.
Your best chance for a speedy conclusion would be to snail mail it to
British Airways
EU compensation claims
PO Box 5619
Sudbury
Suffolk
CO10 2PG

Then allow about 6-8 weeks for the claim to be assessed, there is a ever growing waiting list. Also to assist there are some claim template letters available on the net. ie MSE

Last edited by Engineering Travel; Feb 15, 2013 at 10:04 am Reason: Poor spelling
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Is there an email address I can write to?
I'm afraid not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.