Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The BA Compensation Thread: Your guide to Regulation 261/2004 [2013 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pacenotes
Hi nick

It says 2 hours above? So can you confirm?
Q1 of post 3 answers the Q. You get compensation in the following circumstances:
1) involuntary denied boarding: regardless of the time of arrival (although the amount might vary if the delayed arrival at final destination is below a certain threshold);
2) delays: > 3 hours;
3) cancellations: nil if notified more than 14 days before departure. Otherwise, as specified in the post referenced above, under a) and b).
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimcbob
There's a reference to the ECJ in a case against Ryanair where this is one of the questions: Europa link.
The case was withdrawn back in October, unfortunately (Link (in French)).
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold)
Originally Posted by NickB
The case was withdrawn back in October, unfortunately (Link (in French)).
That's a shame.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:55 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Paralytic
Which bit? The only 2 hour reference I can see in in the context of a flight being cancelled within 7 days of departure and you being rerouted on a flight that lands more that 2 hours after your originally scheduled land time.

For delays, it kicks in at 3 hours.
Well turns out we were delayed for over 5 hours So definitely in the compensation category now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimcbob
That's a shame.
Indeed. I do not know why. I wonder whether Ryanair paid up for fear of giving the ECJ the opportunity to set a precedent.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by NickB
Indeed. I do not know why. I wonder whether Ryanair paid up for fear of giving the ECJ the opportunity to set a precedent.
Plus still a Swedish Appelate court judgment that endures that can be hawked around Euro-wide to dazzle a few Muggles?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:13 am

I have unfortunately suffered a cancelation today; LHR - Beijing where I was due to arrive at 1025hrs. A very, very helpful lady at BA (^) has managed to get me booked onto a flight to Qingdao via Hong Kong, and even got me my favourite seat. Qingdao was my preference as it is slightly closer to my final destination than Beijing. However I do not arrive until 2300hrs. Had BA put me on a partner's flight to Beijing from HK the earliest I would have arrived is 2210hrs (on KA6878). I arrive at HK at 1640hrs, which is over 4 hour late and the wrong destination to boot.

An alternative would have been to fly to Shanghai and then onwards. However this was not practical as the shanghai flight left much earlier than the scheduled time for the Beijing flight. As such I don't believe this is relevant.

BA have advised the cancelation is due to the plane going tech so don't believe extraordinary circumstances will be an issue.

I believe this is a category 3 flight and, which ever way you look at it, the delay is over 4 hours. So I should be looking for €600. Would you experts agree?

Last edited by ColdWalker; Jan 9, 2013 at 1:19 am
Old Jan 9, 2013, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by ColdWalker
BA have advised the cancelation is due to the plane going tech so don't believe extraordinary circumstances will be an issue.

I believe this is a category 3 flight and, which ever way you look at it, the delay is over 4 hours. So I should be looking for €600. Would you experts agree?
I cannot speak directly for them but I believe the experts will agree with your analysis and potential claim!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Centipede100
I cannot speak directly for them but I believe the experts will agree with your analysis and potential claim!
I'm not sure who these mystical experts are either! But I agree, on the facts presented here, you look like you have a claim. This is irrelevant to your question, but for me this is borderline: Personally I would not claim for each and every incident so long as BA look after me, give me a few options, and the delay isn't too bad. This one is quite a long delay, was avoidable if BA had enough birds, but there again BA have done a reasonable job about sorting out the situation.

So maybe a case of saying to BA: look I think this is covered by the Regulations, but give me 50k Avios instead and that will resolve it for me. If you do this, it would be good to hear the result.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:14 am

Dont bank on BA customer services being amenable! I had a 32 hrs delay in November on AGP/LGW and am still awaiting a response re compensation. I cheekily suggested an upgrade from WT+ to CW on my next flight LHR to BKK as an amicable solution but got short shrift!!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Outstanding work - thankyou for his sticky.
Appreciate it, and hope to only ever need it for interest purposes!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:50 am

@CWS, you are one of the experts I had in mind! I have to admit iI was in 2 minds about claiming as I don't feel hard done by. I will think about your avios suggestion.

I should have said that it is a reward booking that was cancelled. Do you think that is relevant?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by ayrejc
Dont bank on BA customer services being amenable! I had a 32 hrs delay in November on AGP/LGW and am still awaiting a response re compensation. I cheekily suggested an upgrade from WT+ to CW on my next flight LHR to BKK as an amicable solution but got short shrift!!
Apart from the initial acknowledgement email, I am yet to receive a response for my claim logged in November for a 17 hour delay. I have sent two follow-up emails but no responses received.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ColdWalker
@CWS, you are one of the experts I had in mind! I have to admit iI was in 2 minds about claiming as I don't feel hard done by. I will think about your avios suggestion.

I should have said that it is a reward booking that was cancelled. Do you think that is relevant?
I would ask yourself whether you would like EUR600 or not? The delay has occurred and based on the description it would seem pretty certain that the airline is liable to pay it; you shouldn't even need to be putting effort in to get paid

That it is a reward booking is irrelevent to the delay compensation applies to award flights too
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:42 am

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink
Apart from the initial acknowledgement email, I am yet to receive a response for my claim logged in November for a 17 hour delay. I have sent two follow-up emails but no responses received.
Well that was nice. Called BA customer services, recorded message that they are very busy so please visit BA.com. Then cut off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.