Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stez

i Preface
This wikipost (and thread) exist because BA introduced a new route in Dec. 2012 from London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 5 (T5) to Incheon International Airport (ICN), Seoul, Korea. This wikipost links to the latest, most relevant information we have collected for FTers flying or considering this route. The extensive nature of the thread is due to 80 FTers having taken up the special fare conditions during the first month.

Currently there is a glitch and the wikipost can only be edited by a moderator or ambassador - to update this thread, please send a PM to a moderator or ambassador. This wikipost can be edited by anyone, and therefore is superior to a traditional 'first post' as anyone can post new, corrected or updated information and link to that post in this wikipost thereby ensuring no single person has to maintain the first post and that information is always up to date. The suggested procedure is to go to the existing linked post and quote that post (if correcting or updating information) and then make the corrections / updates and remove the [QUOTE] tags. Then come back to this wikipost and link to the post you have just made. For new information, simply post the new information and link to it here. Please check that the information you post is indeed new or correct before posting. Thanks, we hope you find this thread of use and interest.

How to Edit this Wikipost Guide

If you have any issues please contact a moderator for assistance.

Date our next group is underway:

Our first few groups have now made their way across to Seoul, hopefully after enjoying some of this on the flight:

(admittedly not Dom but you get the idea)

ii Contents
01 The original post along with the fare conditions during the sale
02 The 80 FTers that are "launching this route"
03 The lounge and Enroute DO's in Dec 2012
04 The Dates People are Meeting in Seoul
05 The Route Details (aircraft type, cabins fitted, timings)
06 Information for those not familiar with BA or Heathrow
07 Making of an FT legend 80 fliers little bit of crazy whole lot of Seoul Trip Report
08 Publicity of this event
09 Returning to the UK (ICN airport info)
10 Hotels FTers have chosen and recommendations
11Things to do in Seoul
12 An Example itinerary for the overnighters
13 Food / Drink in Seoul
14 Transport while in Seoul
15 Weather
16 Links to FT Trip Reports and other sources of info
17 Language
18 Cultural Points
19 Money Matters (VAT, TIps, Cash or Card, ATMs)
20 Shopping
21 Health / Insurance
22 Electricity / Time
23 Legal Points to consider
24 Disabled/Gay/Smokers/Women travellers/Safety and Security
25 Internet / (mobile) Phones / Apps
26 Hazards (we may not be aware of)
27 The city never sleeps (opening times, holidays)
28 Police / Fighting / Taekwando
29 Public Toilets
30 Current offers (any sales we know of)
31 Following the launch antics via twitter
32 Archived Info (to keep the first post relevant)
iii Acknowledgments
This thread (guide) is an ongoing collaborative effort and could not have been produced without everyone here first being informed about the new route and incredible sale conditions by BApilotinsider, who started this thread originally, the resultant large interest from the FT community, and finally the kind contributions of many throughout this thread, with a special nod to itsmeitisss and UTA_flyinghigh. We hope it is of use not only to those going during the introductory month but also evolves later on when the route is mature.
wikipost updated to post 849
Print Wikipost

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 1:50 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
18 Cultural Points

Much of the cultural values and society is still based on Confucius:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confucius

So ideally that would be a good place for you to read up on to understand the cultural side of Korea. This post is simply a few points and is by no means exhaustive.

I am not going to go into business etiquette as again that would spring the limits of this post…if someone wishes to post about that for the business traveller I would certainly be interested myself!

So this will focus more on what is quirky (to us) or what best to avoid…please do add to it or change what you feel is incorrect.

Social rules

The entire society is built on social rules…and would take years to learn as an outsider, luckily Koreans are very tolerant of foreigners making social mistakes.

Koreans will often smile, but this could be understanding or awkwardness. Koreans will tend to laugh lightly from embarrassment if they find themselves in the wrong, it's an attempt not to lose face and can be disconcerting to westerners.

Asians as many of you know care a great deal about 'face' and not losing it. It is particularly strong in Korea. You will notice that they don't put the South in front of Korea - they simply call it Korea

Generally people bow to each other when greeting as a sign of respect.

Aviation and the Korean Culture

Papabear kindly provided this link to an aviation related book...An addition to your reading list. For a peek into Asian culture and the aspects of "keeping face", there's an interesting read in Malcom Gladwels "Outliers", on how culture caused plane crashes in Korean Air up untill 10-15 years ago. In chapter 7, "The ethnic theory of plane crashes", he describes several lethal accidents where the co-pilot did not feel it was in his place to speak up to the captain. It's a great chapter to aviation enthusiasts to read, and it gives insight into Korean culture.

Table manners

Generally, the oldest male or the person paying is allowed to sit first and to start eating first.

Meals are a communal sharing item, so it is frowned upon to order something just for yourself. Generally a wide number of dishes are ordered and then shared amongst the group.

One should not wave ones chopsticks around (if you are of the gesticulating nature) and one should not use the chopsticks to point at people or things.

It is considered bad manners to use your own chopsticks to get something off of a communal plate and there are serving utensils for such things…

When not using your chopsticks (the standard utensils here) then they should be placed side by side on the table or rim of the bowl. Do not leave them sticking up in a bowl or in some rice (this has some significance related to death)…

Do not worry if you are not very adept at using chopsticks as you are not expected to be able to use them!

Rules regarding drinks are easy and very much of an FT nature!

-Do not pour your own drink

-Make sure no one has an empty glass

There are some rules about accepting drinks should be done with two hands and how to pour drinks but they will make exceptions for foreigners!

itsmeitisss kindly provided this nugget: a reliable guide to drinking etiquette - Gun-baye! (pronounce Kun bay the K is soft)

http://matadornetwork.com/nights/dri...and-endurance/

here's a short quote from that:

"Drinking yourself into a drooling stupor is not shameful in Korea. You will be expected to cut anyone who does it some slack.

The last and most important thing to remember is to never mention it again. Whether your buddy got into a belligerent, drunken shouting match or simply fell asleep upright and snoring in his captain’s chair, protocol is to pretend that it never happened.

It may be difficult to refrain, but perhaps someday you will have a reason to appreciate this rule."

Do NOT blow your nose at the table…apparently this is the most embarrassing thing one can do!

Attitude towards the North

Best to go to see the DMZ or the War Memorial (a museum in reality) dedicated to the Korean war…I won't talk about it here…google is your friend or one of several books on the topic.

Regarding attitudes in general and over North / South Korea:

One poster mentions some points to remember if you are at the border: And no nice comments about the North either - they have laws about that sort of stuff. Must remember to delete DPRK photos from phone / iPad beforehand (nice people (mostly), but completely brainwashed) - shame the DMZ tour to the border doesn't operate on Sundays

Another adds: The attitude of the ordinary people towards the North is generally of longing. Many families are split up by the border, and the South does want reunification, but obviously not on the North's terms. There are quite few poor people in some areas that have escaped the North and fear being resettled.

Don't mention the war

This famous line can be applied to South Korea…best to avoid any discussions of the Japanese occupation altogether.

Also, some have mentioned that it is maybe worth remembering that over 2 million civilian casualties during the Korean War…some discretion advised when talking about such sensitive subjects.

Useful Websites

http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/reso...y-profile.html

http://koreanfood.about.com/od/korea...le-Manners.htm

http://www.southkorea.alloexpat.com/...southkorea.php

http://www.everyculture.com/Ja-Ma/South-Korea.html#b

EDIT: Please see this post about the recent news North Korea wishes to launch a rocket during the month of Dec.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19776413-post784.html

Last edited by BotB; Dec 1, 2012 at 6:06 pm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA gold
Ahem.

I rerouted.

SYD-HKG-ICN on CX J on 8th

ICN-LHR on BA W on 9th

Far, far, far more comfortable and entertaining way to travel than SYD-LHR in Y, I'm sure you agree. Can of course guest someone wherever they are needed.

Now the search is on to book a cheap ICN airport hotel for an overnight stay.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Originally Posted by BotB
18 Cultural Points

Generally, the oldest male or the person paying is allowed to sit first and to start eating first.

Rules regarding drinks are easy and very much of an FT nature!

-Do not pour your own drink
-Make sure no one has an empty glass

Drinking yourself into a drooling stupor is not shameful in Korea. You will be expected to cut anyone who does it some slack.

The last and most important thing to remember is to never mention it again. Whether your buddy got into a belligerent, drunken shouting match or simply fell asleep upright and snoring in his captain’s chair, protocol is to pretend that it never happened.
So basically we need to find out who is the oldest as they are paying, always be drinking something, oh plus if you get drunk and do something funny ie. like Gangham you are actually never going to hear the end of it of on FT, which is not very Korean.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:28 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Stez
Ahem.

I rerouted.

SYD-HKG-ICN on CX J on 8th

ICN-LHR on BA W on 9th

Far, far, far more comfortable and entertaining way to travel than SYD-LHR in Y, I'm sure you agree. Can of course guest someone wherever they are needed.

Excellent news Stez ^ , glad the timings worked out...I'll amend the first post accordingly...now 1 more coming back on the 9th people...be scared...be very scared...

Re:digs....if you are willing to sleep on a sofa and travel downtown...you can crash at mine...I've booked a suite. (Not willing to share the bed though...no matter how many Ferrero chocs you bring!)

If you want to find something quite cheap and cheerful...have you seen this site?: (not sure if it includes airport hotels though)

http://innostel.visitseoul.net/main/in_default.asp

I think Accor have a sale on right now but not sure if it extends internationally...

In any case...excellent news. Will be great to meet up, drink and talk clouds!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

17 Language (of the foreign type)

Again, this post is only trying to give a few useful tips…It is not a language course! Hope it does help you out!

See this article on Wikipedia for quite a bit of info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_language

As with anywhere foreign, people are much more likely to help if you try to speak a few words of their language.

Do try to learn a few of the basics of the language before going.

Food and Drink related

Meckju Chu Seyo which translates to 'A beer please!' or substitute Champagne Chu Seyo for bubbles...

BBQ Restaurant: gogi gupneun sikdang

General

yes: ye

no: aniyo

(numbers): one is hana, two is pronounced similar to dul and three szet

Please: butak haeyo

you will get a smile if you say Kahsamnida - it means Thank you very much

Please give me the bill: gyesanseo juseyo

Ann yang haseyo: Good morning / good day.
Ann yang kashep se yo: good bye
Yokwon: Passport

Resources:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/other/korean/guide/

http://www.learn-korean.net

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/korean.htm

Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:37 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I've opened a Twitter account for the trip - you'll find me at @UKTobias or by searching hash tag #FTICN
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Ahem.

I rerouted. SYD-HKG-ICN on CX J on 8th, ICN-LHR on BA W on 9th

Great news Stez ^

A much better route than a straight Y SYD-LHR flight and looking forward to the company in a very empty WT+ cabin (or so it would appear).

We will have to be on our gaurd to make sure that the CW/F travellers on the 9th Dec don't take our/the Y/W alcohol etc. as I am sure they will run out very quickly
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Wikipost updated to this point to reflect all the latest news and info...please do let me know if you find anything incorrect or missing. Thanks.

Only two items from the wikipost remain to be polished and posted...

Food and Drink

Things to do in Seoul

Which should be coming to a web browser near you soon...

Watch this space.

Thanks to everyone for your patience and help in providing info and keeping this special event 'special' ^
Old Nov 29, 2012, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by BotB
Thanks to everyone for your patience and help in providing info and keeping this special event 'special' ^
No, thank YOU BotB! You are a legend!

I'm ready to publish THE CONFESSION BOOTH on the TR just as soon as PETER01 can get his priorities straight and send me his
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by PETER01
We will have to be on our gaurd to make sure that the CW/F travellers on the 9th Dec don't take our/the Y/W alcohol etc. as I am sure they will run out very quickly
Indeed, at this rate, we have the whole of Y/W supplies to quaff between us four FTers in W. After all it is quantity over quality, and J/F should not be raiding our stuff should they run dry.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by CreativeBill
No, thank YOU BotB! You are a legend!

I'm ready to publish THE CONFESSION BOOTH on the TR just as soon as PETER01 can get his priorities straight and send me his
Sorry CB and it will be sent to youself very shortly. Watching I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here is a priority no?

Seriously, Jnr P got his Prelim results today so very, very pleased for him as he done very well and that took up a fair bit of the evening. Obviously doesn't take his brains from his Dad.

Never done a 'confession' before either and edited/changed it twice already, brevity maybe being the wise way!

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 29, 2012 at 4:53 pm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 4:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Indeed, at this rate, we have the whole of Y/W supplies to quaff between us four FTers in W. After all it is quantity over quality, and J/F should not be raiding our stuff should they run dry.
I wouldn't worry, there'll be plenty LPGS waiting for the pair of you when you get to the CCR on arrival at LHR.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 5:00 pm

Indeed we will have to guard the booze well.

Last edited by PETER01; Nov 29, 2012 at 5:17 pm
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:35 pm

Looks like we're getting the "Christmas feeling" in Seoul. Today it apperantly starting snowing.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:39 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
Snow in Seoul is very common during the winter months...I hope you've all got travel insurance

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.