Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stez

i Preface
This wikipost (and thread) exist because BA introduced a new route in Dec. 2012 from London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 5 (T5) to Incheon International Airport (ICN), Seoul, Korea. This wikipost links to the latest, most relevant information we have collected for FTers flying or considering this route. The extensive nature of the thread is due to 80 FTers having taken up the special fare conditions during the first month.

Currently there is a glitch and the wikipost can only be edited by a moderator or ambassador - to update this thread, please send a PM to a moderator or ambassador. This wikipost can be edited by anyone, and therefore is superior to a traditional 'first post' as anyone can post new, corrected or updated information and link to that post in this wikipost thereby ensuring no single person has to maintain the first post and that information is always up to date. The suggested procedure is to go to the existing linked post and quote that post (if correcting or updating information) and then make the corrections / updates and remove the [QUOTE] tags. Then come back to this wikipost and link to the post you have just made. For new information, simply post the new information and link to it here. Please check that the information you post is indeed new or correct before posting. Thanks, we hope you find this thread of use and interest.

How to Edit this Wikipost Guide

If you have any issues please contact a moderator for assistance.

Date our next group is underway:

Our first few groups have now made their way across to Seoul, hopefully after enjoying some of this on the flight:

(admittedly not Dom but you get the idea)

ii Contents
01 The original post along with the fare conditions during the sale
02 The 80 FTers that are "launching this route"
03 The lounge and Enroute DO's in Dec 2012
04 The Dates People are Meeting in Seoul
05 The Route Details (aircraft type, cabins fitted, timings)
06 Information for those not familiar with BA or Heathrow
07 Making of an FT legend 80 fliers little bit of crazy whole lot of Seoul Trip Report
08 Publicity of this event
09 Returning to the UK (ICN airport info)
10 Hotels FTers have chosen and recommendations
11Things to do in Seoul
12 An Example itinerary for the overnighters
13 Food / Drink in Seoul
14 Transport while in Seoul
15 Weather
16 Links to FT Trip Reports and other sources of info
17 Language
18 Cultural Points
19 Money Matters (VAT, TIps, Cash or Card, ATMs)
20 Shopping
21 Health / Insurance
22 Electricity / Time
23 Legal Points to consider
24 Disabled/Gay/Smokers/Women travellers/Safety and Security
25 Internet / (mobile) Phones / Apps
26 Hazards (we may not be aware of)
27 The city never sleeps (opening times, holidays)
28 Police / Fighting / Taekwando
29 Public Toilets
30 Current offers (any sales we know of)
31 Following the launch antics via twitter
32 Archived Info (to keep the first post relevant)
iii Acknowledgments
This thread (guide) is an ongoing collaborative effort and could not have been produced without everyone here first being informed about the new route and incredible sale conditions by BApilotinsider, who started this thread originally, the resultant large interest from the FT community, and finally the kind contributions of many throughout this thread, with a special nod to itsmeitisss and UTA_flyinghigh. We hope it is of use not only to those going during the introductory month but also evolves later on when the route is mature.
wikipost updated to post 849
Print Wikipost

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Stez
I am arriving at LHR on the morning of the 9th December, and head to the T5 Flounge for my domestic connection. I'll rebook my domestic for a later flight, and join you guys in the lounge if you are connecting at T5 from ICN. Of course I can extend an invite to guest anyone that needs the Flounge...
Or I can extend an invite to you for the CCR? I think I have one space left on my allocation ... we can have a mini FT 'do' in the CCR, there'll be 5 of us
Old Nov 28, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
Originally Posted by BotB

Vehicles

I have read that pedestrians need to be much more aware in Seoul…Apparently the sidewalks are used by vehicles or motorbikes and you may be expected to move out of the way!

Also, pedestrian crossings (zebra stripes) are not respected in Seoul. Definitely cross with care as cars and traffic may not stop for you.

Vehicles may also not stop at red lights.
Sounds very much like my home town in the UK.

Last edited by thundercat; Nov 28, 2012 at 5:54 am
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:01 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Or I can extend an invite to you for the CCR? I think I have one space left on my allocation ... we can have a mini FT 'do' in the CCR, there'll be 5 of us
Thank you very much Tobias-UK, I will gladly take up your very kind offer. ^
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:04 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
29 Public Toilets

I'll save you any images for this one!

First the good news: Public toilets are everywhere apparently, bad news is that they are often used for smoking…also, the Korean drains do not handle toilet paper very well so many people simply place the dirty toilet paper in the rubbish bin in the common area which then smells and is dirty…also, you may need to get toilet paper from the sink area before going into the stall…so do check before going about your business!

Apart from that most toilets are separate and are not unisex.

Obviously, many upmarket locations such as hotels, restaurants and places tourists will visit will likely be fine and no different to the UK, however, if you venture off the beaten path and use 'local' toilets you may find the above points of interest and use!

Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:13 am

Programs: BA gold, OWE
09 Returning to the UK (ICN airport info)

Finnair uses Cathay Pacific Lounge at ICN: http://www.finnair.com/FI/FI/informa...ounge-list#ICN
AY41/AY42 has similar schedule as BA17/BA18. Finnair departure is 30 minutes after BA, so I believe it's safe to assume lounge is open for BA passengers as well.

Edit:
CX has changed it's Lounge opening hours on their web page: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...e?cityCode=SEL
Now open: Daily: 0630 - 1020; 1215 - 1520; 1700 - 2000

Last edited by temppa; Nov 28, 2012 at 5:25 am Reason: Added CX opening hours
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:25 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

28 Police, Fighting, Taekwondo

Image courtesy of wikipedia and ProjectManhattan.

Police

If you have an emergency and need to dial the police the number is: 112

There are very few problems or issues in Korea for foreigners so it is highly unlikely you will need to deal with the police.

Police are generally friendly and help tourists, they may appear very young.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...ublic_of_Korea)

Fighting

I am sure we are all fine, upstanding citizens, however…the following words of warning!

Do not voluntarily get into a fight or be provoked into one as foreigners are almost always considered at fault and a fine of several hundred pounds may be issued to be paid on the spot by the foreigner (even if you are clearly not at fault).

Taewondo

If the above monetary fine is not enough to dissuade you from violence...

Do remember that military service is compulsory for males here and part of that training is to learn Taekwondo. In fact, Korea is the birthplace of Taekwondo.

Last edited by BotB; Nov 28, 2012 at 5:53 am
Old Nov 28, 2012, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by temppa
09 Returning to the UK (ICN airport info) <snip>
Thanks for the corrected info temppa ^ , I've updated that post.

I did find the links directed me to a 404 page not found error both times...wonder if this is because you were logged in or some quirk of the websites?

If someone can get links to work I'll happily add those as well. Cheers.

One side note: I am obviously highlighting any information I find that may be different to what we expect...I am certain that Seoul is a great city and we won't be shocked by most of the differences or changes....so please don't be put off or scared by what you read here...it is only to mention you may come across some of this and to ensure you are informed!

Hope I am not putting anyone off by mentioning the quirks or points that are different...definitely not my aim!

EDIT: ohh, interesting...by no means did I try to engineer it that the police post was post # 666 ...but I do find that funny anyway!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Some lucky people travelling on the ICN-LHR flight on 9 December may be in for an early Christmas present – there are no CW or F seats available for sale on that flight, my MMB shows 6 available seats in F! This is a sign the flight is overbooked in CW so it might turn in to an unexpected party in the F cabin! Let’s hope there are no downgrades!!
Thanks for pointing that out Tobias-UK ^^

Interestingly, the flight out on the 7th is also very, very loaded at the top...7 seats left and only willing to sell 1...

F1 A1 J0 C0 D0....

So, here's hoping that there are also Op-Up's for the FT crowd to F on the way out as well...and not any downgrades? I count 6 other Golds in CW...let the games begin...may the best golds win

Or to be fair...maybe they should just Op-Up the Bronze and Blues...to give them a taste...I'm slum it in Club if it is for the better cause!

The flight on the 6th out to ICN is not as bad...6 seats in F still for sale...

Haven't checked any other dates...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Interesting flight stats, there didn't seem to be many indications that R fares (or higher) were limited when the I (Ł777) fares started drying up towards the end of the offer which suggests they have had very good take-up of the more expensive buckets in CW. Business driven I assume!

Hope there are upgrades for anyone in WT+/WT to CW before the mighty charge of the Golds for a CW to F! Personally not expecting one on the way back against this level of competition

Does one still get the tier points for the original cabin booked if downgraded??
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Stez
Thank you very much Tobias-UK, I will gladly take up your very kind offer. ^
Confirmed ^

Perhaps BotB would kindly amend the 'Lounge' post for the 9th to reflect all my CCR invites are now taken.

The CCR connecting party on 9th December consists of LX64A332, PETER01 and now Stez – an ICN Do gate-crasher but very welcome none-the-less ... oh, and my wife and I!!

I still have 2 invites remaining for the outbound flight on 7th December.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:56 am
Original Poster

23 Legal points to consider

ID

Visitors must legally carry ID but this is rarely checked….a good tip is to carry a photocopy of your picture page from the passport and leave your passport safe in the hotel safe.

Other Legal ages and bits of info

Legal drinking age is 19 as is voting and smoking age. Legal age for sex is 18.

Abortion is illegal…I can't imagine anyone needing to know this but it may be of interest simply to know.

Drugs are a serious crime here.

Being drunk in public (as long as you don't fight) is okay it seems…see the info from itsmeitisss about acceptance of being drunk in the second post under food and drink!

It is apparently quite hard to get the birth control pill in Korea…the onus is on the male to use a condom and can be found in the usual places to purchase.

Visas

You do not need to get one in advance (at least for UK or Canadian citizens check beforehand if you are a citizen of another country).

When you arrive you will get the entry visa for free at the airport and usually this is valid for 3 months. Because Canadians are great (okay, a bit of bias here ), Canadians get visas with a validity of 6 months as do some other countries.

Americans only get 1 month!

Customs

Please be aware that you can only bring in a duty fee allowance of:

1 liter of alcohol
200 cigarettes or
50 cigars or
250 grams of tobacco
56 ml of perfume (2 oz)

Goods up to US $ 400 are allowed to enter Korea duty free, above this limit, they are subject to tax.

You may bring in (and take out) as much foreign currency as you wish to Korea, there is no limit, you will have to declare anything over US $ 10,000 though.

Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:08 am
Original Poster

(post snipped to just the following)

Perhaps BotB would kindly amend the Lounge' post for the 9th[/URL] to reflect all my CCR invites are now taken.

I still have 2 invites remaining for the outbound flight on 7th December.
Done ^ thanks for letting me know...sorry, been a bit busy updating the wiki to try to get the full info for those going at the end of this week...

Very nice of you Tobias-UK to guest 3 into the ICN and CCR ^

Wikipost now updated to show the 'legal things to consider' and the 'transport info' which has been updated and is on post # 3.

Please do keep the corrections and updates coming (or any other points you wish to know but don't see...)

Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nh1980
Interesting flight stats...

Hope there are upgrades for anyone in WT+/WT to CW before the mighty charge of the Golds for a CW to F! Personally not expecting one on the way back against this level of competition

Does one still get the tier points for the original cabin booked if downgraded??
Interesting Indeed, hopefully not a problem that Club is so well booked (read concern about downgrades may be real, lets see what transpires).

Unfortunately for those dates, WT and WT+ the stats show 9's for all WT and WT+ fare classes, down to deep discount..so the planes are indeed top heavy and massively open down back.

Can't help with the TP question if downgraded...Don't want to go there...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Confirmed ^

The CCR connecting party on 9th December consists of LX64A332, PETER01 and now Stez – an ICN Do gate-crasher but very welcome none-the-less ... oh, and my wife and I!!
The party continues on then in the CCR on the way back

Once again thanks a million for the invitation. ^

Originally Posted by BotB
Interesting Indeed, hopefully not a problem that Club is so well booked (read concern about downgrades may be real, lets see what transpires).

Unfortunately for those dates, WT and WT+ the stats show 9's for all WT and WT+ fare classes, down to deep discount..so the planes are indeed top heavy and massively open down back.

Can't help with the TP question if downgraded...Don't want to go there...
I wonder if there will be any balancing issues on the aircraft with F/CW full and W and Y so empty leading to downgrades ?

I've zero knowledge of these sort of things and I sincerely hope not. I'll go and post this question on the Ask The BA Staffer thread shortly.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:29 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by PETER01
I wonder if there will be any balancing issues on the aircraft with F/CW full and W and Y so empty leading to downgrades ?
They can just load up the back of the plane with extra champagne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.