Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Stez

i Preface
This wikipost (and thread) exist because BA introduced a new route in Dec. 2012 from London Heathrow (LHR) Terminal 5 (T5) to Incheon International Airport (ICN), Seoul, Korea. This wikipost links to the latest, most relevant information we have collected for FTers flying or considering this route. The extensive nature of the thread is due to 80 FTers having taken up the special fare conditions during the first month.

Currently there is a glitch and the wikipost can only be edited by a moderator or ambassador - to update this thread, please send a PM to a moderator or ambassador. This wikipost can be edited by anyone, and therefore is superior to a traditional 'first post' as anyone can post new, corrected or updated information and link to that post in this wikipost thereby ensuring no single person has to maintain the first post and that information is always up to date. The suggested procedure is to go to the existing linked post and quote that post (if correcting or updating information) and then make the corrections / updates and remove the [QUOTE] tags. Then come back to this wikipost and link to the post you have just made. For new information, simply post the new information and link to it here. Please check that the information you post is indeed new or correct before posting. Thanks, we hope you find this thread of use and interest.

How to Edit this Wikipost Guide

If you have any issues please contact a moderator for assistance.

Date our next group is underway:

Our first few groups have now made their way across to Seoul, hopefully after enjoying some of this on the flight:

(admittedly not Dom but you get the idea)

ii Contents
01 The original post along with the fare conditions during the sale
02 The 80 FTers that are "launching this route"
03 The lounge and Enroute DO's in Dec 2012
04 The Dates People are Meeting in Seoul
05 The Route Details (aircraft type, cabins fitted, timings)
06 Information for those not familiar with BA or Heathrow
07 Making of an FT legend 80 fliers little bit of crazy whole lot of Seoul Trip Report
08 Publicity of this event
09 Returning to the UK (ICN airport info)
10 Hotels FTers have chosen and recommendations
11Things to do in Seoul
12 An Example itinerary for the overnighters
13 Food / Drink in Seoul
14 Transport while in Seoul
15 Weather
16 Links to FT Trip Reports and other sources of info
17 Language
18 Cultural Points
19 Money Matters (VAT, TIps, Cash or Card, ATMs)
20 Shopping
21 Health / Insurance
22 Electricity / Time
23 Legal Points to consider
24 Disabled/Gay/Smokers/Women travellers/Safety and Security
25 Internet / (mobile) Phones / Apps
26 Hazards (we may not be aware of)
27 The city never sleeps (opening times, holidays)
28 Police / Fighting / Taekwando
29 Public Toilets
30 Current offers (any sales we know of)
31 Following the launch antics via twitter
32 Archived Info (to keep the first post relevant)
iii Acknowledgments
This thread (guide) is an ongoing collaborative effort and could not have been produced without everyone here first being informed about the new route and incredible sale conditions by BApilotinsider, who started this thread originally, the resultant large interest from the FT community, and finally the kind contributions of many throughout this thread, with a special nod to itsmeitisss and UTA_flyinghigh. We hope it is of use not only to those going during the introductory month but also evolves later on when the route is mature.
wikipost updated to post 849
Print Wikipost

Special Seoul launch offer | BA Board excursion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:32 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by nux
They can just load up the back of the plane with extra champagne.
A great idea.......BA if you are reading can you please, please note nux very wise post
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
As a very small side-note, may I request that Cpl Arnhem is not referred to as a Teddy-Bear. He is a Bear, of the Military persuasion, and an Afghanistan veteran. There is a difference. Please treat him with due respect

And he is quite thrilled to be joining this epic voyage.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Originally Posted by BotB
Interesting Indeed, hopefully not a problem that Club is so well booked (read concern about downgrades may be real, lets see what transpires).

Unfortunately for those dates, WT and WT+ the stats show 9's for all WT and WT+ fare classes, down to deep discount..so the planes are indeed top heavy and massively open down back.

Can't help with the TP question if downgraded...Don't want to go there...
For me particularly pertinent as the TPs for this flight are needed for me to get to Gold (once I've done another CW flight over new year) which then effectively gives me lounge access and other benefits until Spring 2015 based on a soft landing to silver from 2014.

Seems to be more of an issue for the 7th and the 9th but if I was to still get the TPs and same lounge access, am sure it wouldn't be the end of the world to get downgraded on the way back - hopefully BA compassion will bring the champagne bottle past the curtain and into WT+ But...lets wait and see and not get alarmed just yet
Old Nov 28, 2012, 9:53 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
Originally Posted by T8191
As a very small side-note, may I request that Cpl Arnhem is not referred to as a Teddy-Bear. He is a Bear, of the Military persuasion, and an Afghanistan veteran. There is a difference. Please treat him with due respect

And he is quite thrilled to be joining this epic voyage.
He's just working the angles T8191....to you and the blokes...he is a 'Bear'...to the women of this world...he is a 'what a cute teddy bear'...

Don't knock it if it works for him...@:-)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:01 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nh1980
For me particularly pertinent as the TPs for this flight are needed for me to get to Gold (once I've done another CW flight over new year) which then effectively gives me lounge access until Spring 2015 based on a soft landing to silver from 2014.

Seems to be more of an issue for the 7th and the 9th but if I was to still get the TPs and same lounge access, am sure it wouldn't be the end of the world to get downgraded on the way back - hopefully BA compassion will bring the champagne bottle past the curtain and into WT+ But...lets wait and see and not get alarmed just yet
I wouldn't be worried about this actually...first, as a silver card holder you should be a near the last to be sent back...second, there are several people that are not part of the BAEC at all...so who is BA going to upset first? I would hope it would be the one off...instead of a regular, loyal 'member' of the BAEC. Third...I imagine they are only oversold (if at all) by a few...revenue management will be watching that closely and make sure that the numbers don't get silly...Fourth, some in Club may decide to cancel (I have seen nearly every plane show at least one seat in Club less than last week this time...so many in J do book full flex, which is expensive but they can afford to do this and therefore a seat or two may be the difference between anyone being downgraded or not..lets wait and see.

So I can't honestly believe that you will be downgraded...just be sure to check in online at T-24...there will be several that won't until the airport and I would imagine they will draw the short straws if need be (after any Op-Up is sorted to help)...

Still can't help with the TP question though...maybe someone else will know this? An interesting question to be sure especially as you would reach gold...I think BA would be flexible enough to give you gold no matter what if you set out on the trip with that goal...so stay calm and carry on for now...you'll be fine!

Hope that helps, if not...which drawer does nh1980 keep the alcohol in?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Thanks BotB - am not that worried but well thought out mitigants there ^ This is approaching fast and it is seeming more and more real...I can't believe it's just over a week to check-in and the first lot of FTers are going this weekend!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Seeking reassurance or at least an explanation.

I'm seeking some input here.

As a lowly Bronze after a gradual descent from Gold since retirement, I'm not able to allocate seats for myself and Mrs Qwest until T-7 days. Traveling out on the 13th I see on expert flyer F2 A1 J0 C0 - I've ignored everything in WT+ and WT as being irrelevant to me. Now I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as a bad seat allocation in CW - there just some seats that are better than others in CW. However when I look at the seat map for BA17 on 13th in Expert Flyer I see 29 unallocated seats and 4 blocked seats so only 15 of the 48 seats in CW are allocated - so why J0 C0 unless there are a lot of Bronze and Blue and non BAEC flyers booked in CW on that flight who are like me not willing to pay to allocate a seat. Even more hard to work out is F2 A1 since I can see 8 unallocated seats in F and F Pax get free seat allocation so to me that would indicate 8 unsold seats in F on the BA17 on 13th Dec.

I'll obviously be on-line at exactly T-7 days to allocate seats for free but I'm still confused by the J0 C0 from Expert Flyer.

Our return BA18 on 17th is showing F9 A9 J8 C7 D9 R5 I3 - this looks more reasonable as the seat map for F is showing 4 seats allocated and 8 as yet unallocated - so BA would seem to be happy to oversell the F cabin on the return at present. In CW the J8 C7 D9 R5 I3 seems reasonable - the seat map is showing 21 seats allocated, 4 blocked and 23 unallocated. So with 23 unallocated and BA only prepared to sell 8 J class seats - are there so many Bronze, Blue and non BAEC members with seats as yet unallocated on the BA18 on 17th Dec.

As a final question does anyone know why 11K would be a blocked seat? I can understand blocking 15A, E & K as bassinet seats but 11K - its not a front row nor an aisle for crew rest so what can it be blocked for?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
For those travelling in Club outbound on the 7th and inbound on the 9th, given the apparent overbooking of the Club cabin it might be worth keeping an eye out for one of those special First Class POUGs in MMB.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:21 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Hi qwest01,

I can answer at least the first of your questions...

As you rightly guessed, not everyone is willing to pay to reserve a seat before T-24. So unless they are status card holders or depending on how close to check in things are (say T-72) then groups, people travelling with kids are allocated a seat, however, at times further out than T-72 the situation is at best a guess (unless really full!). Your first case shows that for the 13th...BA have or feel they will oversell the Club cabin...so they stop selling any Club seats...only half are status holders and the rest are likely people that have taken the deal from LHR or from ICN (and as they booked when it was so cheap they are very unlikely to be willing to pay another batch of ŁŁŁ to reserve a seat...they would typically fly down the back so are happy as a bug in a rug to have a Club seat at all...) As BA are only willing to sell 2 F tickets you can guess at this time that they feel they will need to allocate around 6 people from Club up to F at this time...hence the 2 revenue seats still for sale...but they will still hedge slightly and likely try to beat the odds and sell more than they have so maybe they really only have one seat in F available right now with the Op-Ups needed but they know from experience that a certain percent do cancel last minute or do not turn up...and they want to maximise the turnover so they risk it...All F pax can allocate a seat at the time of booking so that is the only cabin I believe you can truly 'trust' when looking at ExpertFlyer due to the fact that all other cabins do not show how full the load really is...just how many have paid for seats or have status. (actually this is a really good way to find out how many people are travelling with kids or small groups or are bronze by checking a day before and a day after the week out and T-72 time frames...)

So very long story short: Club is oversold but the cheapskates that got the great deal in Club won't fork out to reserve a seat...therefore you only see 15 seats showing people in them. They are status card holders or paid to select that exact seat. The remaining 33 seats seem to be sold (or they expect to sell them given other metrics they have) PLUS the oversell...of around 6 pax they need to move to F....it may be that club is not that oversold but WT+ or WT are and the whole plane gets shifted by 5 people or so...

Clear as MUD? (and this is the simple version...revenue management has got to rival algorithms for gambling at the top levels)...

11K seems blocked on most days....not sure why...

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by qwest01
I'm seeking some input here.

As a lowly Bronze after a gradual descent from Gold since retirement, I'm not able to allocate seats for myself and Mrs Qwest until T-7 days. Traveling out on the 13th I see on expert flyer F2 A1 J0 C0 - I've ignored everything in WT+ and WT as being irrelevant to me. Now I am of the opinion that there is no such thing as a bad seat allocation in CW - there just some seats that are better than others in CW. However when I look at the seat map for BA17 on 13th in Expert Flyer I see 29 unallocated seats and 4 blocked seats so only 15 of the 48 seats in CW are allocated - so why J0 C0 unless there are a lot of Bronze and Blue and non BAEC flyers booked in CW on that flight who are like me not willing to pay to allocate a seat. Even more hard to work out is F2 A1 since I can see 8 unallocated seats in F and F Pax get free seat allocation so to me that would indicate 8 unsold seats in F on the BA17 on 13th Dec.

I'll obviously be on-line at exactly T-7 days to allocate seats for free but I'm still confused by the J0 C0 from Expert Flyer.

Our return BA18 on 17th is showing F9 A9 J8 C7 D9 R5 I3 - this looks more reasonable as the seat map for F is showing 4 seats allocated and 8 as yet unallocated - so BA would seem to be happy to oversell the F cabin on the return at present. In CW the J8 C7 D9 R5 I3 seems reasonable - the seat map is showing 21 seats allocated, 4 blocked and 23 unallocated. So with 23 unallocated and BA only prepared to sell 8 J class seats - are there so many Bronze, Blue and non BAEC members with seats as yet unallocated on the BA18 on 17th Dec.

As a final question does anyone know why 11K would be a blocked seat? I can understand blocking 15A, E & K as bassinet seats but 11K - its not a front row nor an aisle for crew rest so what can it be blocked for?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
I'll go the other way here...am not a big fan of CW so would happily accept downgrade to WTP given adequate compensation (something I have often done on US airlines when overcooked). Does BA go down that route? For the record you can't do that as PE on AFKL, even if you volunteer.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Hi qwest01,

I can answer at least the first of your questions...

As you rightly guessed, not everyone is willing to pay to reserve a seat before T-24. So unless they are status card holders or depending on how close to check in things are (say T-72) then groups, people travelling with kids are allocated a seat, however, at times further out than T-72 the situation is at best a guess (unless really full!). Your first case shows that for the 13th...BA have or feel they will oversell the Club cabin...so they stop selling any Club seats...only half are status holders and the rest are likely people that have taken the deal from LHR or from ICN (and as they booked when it was so cheap they are very unlikely to be willing to pay another batch of ŁŁŁ to reserve a seat...they would typically fly down the back so are happy as a bug in a rug to have a Club seat at all...) As BA are only willing to sell 2 F tickets you can guess at this time that they feel they will need to allocate around 6 people from Club up to F at this time...hence the 2 revenue seats still for sale...but they will still hedge slightly and likely try to beat the odds and sell more than they have so maybe they really only have one seat in F available right now with the Op-Ups needed but they know from experience that a certain percent do cancel last minute or do not turn up...and they want to maximise the turnover so they risk it...All F pax can allocate a seat at the time of booking so that is the only cabin I believe you can truly 'trust' when looking at ExpertFlyer due to the fact that all other cabins do not show how full the load really is...just how many have paid for seats or have status. (actually this is a really good way to find out how many people are travelling with kids or small groups or are bronze by checking a day before and a day after the week out and T-72 time frames...)

So very long story short: Club is oversold but the cheapskates that got the great deal in Club won't fork out to reserve a seat...therefore you only see 15 seats showing people in them. They are status card holders or paid to select that exact seat. The remaining 33 seats seem to be sold (or they expect to sell them given other metrics they have) PLUS the oversell...of around 6 pax they need to move to F....it may be that club is not that oversold but WT+ or WT are and the whole plane gets shifted by 5 people or so...

Clear as MUD? (and this is the simple version...revenue management has got to rival algorithms for gambling at the top levels)...

11K seems blocked on most days....not sure why...

Hope that helps.
Yep - very much as I kind of guessed. The 13th is the very last day for outbound on nthe cheap intro fares so not surprising.

However I will be allocating seats at T-7 days as a Bronze.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
He's just working the angles T8191....to you and the blokes...he is a 'Bear'...to the women of this world...he is a 'what a cute teddy bear'...

Don't knock it if it works for him...@:-)
Does he behave like that "Ted" in the recent movie?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: BAEC at last back to Gold, Flying Blue, Red with the Bearded One, Accor, Finnair Plus Blue
I wouldn't be worried about this actually...first, as a silver card holder you should be a near the last to be sent back...second, there are several people that are not part of the BAEC at all...so who is BA going to upset first? I would hope it would be the one off...instead of a regular, loyal 'member' of the BAEC. Third...I imagine they are only oversold (if at all) by a few...revenue management will be watching that closely and make sure that the numbers don't get silly...Fourth, some in Club may decide to cancel (I have seen nearly every plane show at least one seat in Club less than last week this time...so many in J do book full flex, which is expensive but they can afford to do this and therefore a seat or two may be the difference between anyone being downgraded or not..lets wait and see.

So I can't honestly believe that you will be downgraded...just be sure to check in online at T-24...there will be several that won't until the airport and I would imagine they will draw the short straws if need be (after any Op-Up is sorted to help)...

Still can't help with the TP question though...maybe someone else will know this? An interesting question to be sure especially as you would reach gold...I think BA would be flexible enough to give you gold no matter what if you set out on the trip with that goal...so stay calm and carry on for now...you'll be fine!

Hope that helps, if not...which drawer does nh1980 keep the alcohol in?
Downgrading is not an option for me as I need the points to get Silver before my year runs out a few weeks later. Also could not do 10hours sat upright in WT+
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
And whilst in Seoul,you may want to try one of the local delicacies.

Live octopus. Yum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNy8MUPOAtQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by mario
And whilst in Seoul,you may want to try one of the local delicacies.

Live octopus. Yum!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNy8...e_gdata_player

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.