Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crying baby in club world??

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Originally Posted by ukgooner
I actually do think this is a BA issue. The whole purpose of premium cabins is rest, and if they willingly sell tickets to families in those cabins then they are complicit in potentially destroying the value proposition.

I think the OP makes a good point, but it always seems to come down to the "With Kids" posters who seem to have no empathy with those who don't see the them as little angels who should be indulged, but out of control noise polluters.

And in fact this the issue on board. 90% of parents respect the fact that, if in the premium cabins, those around don't wish to be entertained by their offspring, just as if they choose to take them into a premium restaurant, they can't treat it like a family pub. If they want a relaxed "anything goes" experience for the brood - then its pub for lunch or the economy cabin.

I had a really annoying F expereince recently, where the couple just let their 3 kids run amok. The attitude was "we / our employer have paid for this, therefore we can do what we like - and damn the other folk who have saved for the experience"

Actually it must have been reported by the crew, as i got some Avios. But I'm not saying how many cause you will all want some...
I am using this post as quote but I noticed many times in this thread (both the "for" and "against") refer to crying babies as "misbehaving". I think mainly not the case! The kids running amok should not be tolerated by the parents or CC - regardless of age (3 years or 33 years old!) - but crying babies is usually from being overtired; hunger; unusual locations; air pressure; teething; etc - not "misbehaving". Children (not infants notice) misbehaving is one thing - and one that parents; guardians should take responsibility for. Babies / Infants that cry is tough on the entire area - parents as well. Personally I don't like the "under 2yo can be on the lap" option but it exists. I wouldn't have that in Premium Cabins (or at least not F) - but if you pay the child fare (75/80%?) then they can fly in whatever cabin that seat is in as far as I am concerned. Crying baby is more understandable than tantrum / running child and certainly should be less concerning for other pax even if you are affected. It is not necessarily a parental control thing for that case.

There are many other conditions that exist on public transport options that can be just as troublesome for pax; HIDDY refers to some - but there are also the "BO" group; the constant chatters; the walking all night group; the people that have to have their light on - even if they are dead to the world (had one like that kept my 2yo awake all night in Y once - not crying but was miserable all the following day - that time the child is on the end of a bad night's sleep!); the all my stuff is in the OH bin; the stinky feet brigade; etc, etc.

Yes it was #30'ish for the private jet comment rather than #50 - it should have been #2. Other option is only fly with a group and block out the whole cabin (F/CW or WT+) - not practical? Well travelling overseas on a boat if you have persons in your group considered "under age" - whether that is 5/6 (school) - 12 (BA adult fare) - 18/21 (drinking) is not exactly practical either.

Rant not over - just suspended until the next "I think compensation should be offered because I am in premium class and I didn't get my beauty rest because of the "kid" comment".
Old May 28, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
The same old thread popping up. HB raises an interesting issue: if there are two separate premium cabins, only one of which will accommodate small children, I do think this is reasonably fair. However, one might be faced with a jammed 'adult' cabin, with only seat choice being v. undesirable (think middle two in CW) or a great seat choice in the 'family' section. Not all routes will have children, so, what does one do??

And although no-one here seems to imply their child is ever the one crying, let me admit mea culpa. Our daughter, approaching three, has flown since 9 weeks of age, in all cabins: Y, W, J, F. I don't know exactly how many miles she's done, but it must be >>50k. Although she's had the odd fussy moment, she's had one flight where she was apparently a nightmare (I wasn't on that leg): a short hop BOS-MSP, c. 2010. Apologies to anyone who was on that flight.

Even the best kids have off days and vice versa. If BA or any other airline (such as malaysian above) want to ban kids from a particular cabin, that is their prerogative. Familes with children will vote with their wallets, and the market will determine whether it's a sustainable model. Some cultures seem more likely to have families flying in premium cabins than others, which makes me think BA, for one, won't be doing this (and one can imagine what the Daily Mail would say).

Also interesting to note at least 2 precedents of being awarded compensation for having rest disturbed by children. It's likely that if a one-off, this may happen, but given the high probability of having some disturbance in a cabin with several children in it, I can't see this as being sustainable.

One last point: I have found that since having a small child of my own, I am far less disturbed by the cries of children other than my own...so perhaps even better than a BOSE QC15, I would recommend OP, HB and others to invest in a little sprog (although costs are far more than a full-fare F RTW even).

tb
Old May 28, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: BA-Gold (dropping to Silver soon); AA & Flying Blue; Top Gear (the Clarkson years); Doctor Who :)
Originally Posted by trueblu
The same old thread popping up. HB raises an interesting issue: if there are two separate premium cabins, only one of which will accommodate small children, I do think this is reasonably fair. However, one might be faced with a jammed 'adult' cabin, with only seat choice being v. undesirable (think middle two in CW) or a great seat choice in the 'family' section. Not all routes will have children, so, what does one do??
I don't think this is fair - do you make all parents fly in this w/kid cabin - what if they don't want the risk of being with ill-behaved kids? Cannot make the kids fly in there alone and put everything on CC So not sure how this would work - you are right though in that the model would win/lose on the wallets of the paying public.

Originally Posted by trueblu
One last point: I have found that since having a small child of my own, I am far less disturbed by the cries of children other than my own...so perhaps even better than a BOSE QC15, I would recommend OP, HB and others to invest in a little sprog (although costs are far more than a full-fare F RTW even).

tb
Isn't that the truth! Patience and a lot of other virtues seem to come along once parenthood is in your life...certainly if you are a half decent parent anyway
Old May 28, 2012, 10:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by chongcao
maybe a minimum age to travel in Business/First class (e.g. 6 years old, the school age; better than crying babies).
I'd rather have crying babies than school age children misbehaving. I find baby's cries pretty easy to block out but tantrum-throwing or running around children are much harder to deal with.

However most of my in-flight rests are adversely affected by adults rather than children or infants.

I agree with someone who said he/she wished airlines did not offer infant/child fares in premium cabins though.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:15 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I agree that cry babies can be a real pain in the proverbial backside.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by AX9465
You'd be surprised. 9M recently announced they will be not having babies and small children on the upper desk of their 380s which I think is absolutely right thing to do. If one disturbs others, this one had to be segregated to separate cabin. For me, this places 9M above all one world carriers with the credit towards knowing what their customers actually want.
AX
I assume this was a tounge in cheek statement...:
Old May 28, 2012, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
I too love my Bose, and wouldn't dream of travelling long haul without them. However, while they work a treat on the constant drone of engine noise, they do absolutely nothing to cancel the varying tones of a screaming infant.

Do others have a different experience with noise cancelling headphones?
I was wondering the same thing - you get some dampening of the noise of a baby because of the padding. But the software just isn't set up to deal with sudden and variable noises. Also being over 6' I cannot fit into the bed lying on my back. So sleeping with them on just isn't an option. There is also the problem that for som people (about 30% I believe) they cause ear discomfort. I find this comes on after 3 or 4 hours or so.

I love my Bose QCs, but they do have their limits.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Gash
Isn't that the truth! Patience and a lot of other virtues seem to come along once parenthood is in your life...certainly if you are a half decent parent anyway
Actually, it has nothing to do with patience. It is a biological phenomena. The cries of a child are finely tuned by mother nature to be the most irritating sound in the world to adults. Men will try to solve the situation that makes the child cry and women will want to comfort the child. However nowadays, neither is allowed since only the brilliant 'expert' parents are allowed to sooth (or not) their children.

The moment you become a parent yourself the sound of children crying all of a sudden becomes less irritating for men. That is because they produce a lot less testosterone in the first years after birth and become (literally) more feminine. Hence your more relaxed demeanor. It has nothing to do with gaining some kind of special insight or maturity. I am sorry to disappoint.

So, dear parents, please realize that for us - non parents - a child's cry is actually finely tuned to irritate us to no extend. That is not because we are idiots but because nature intended it that way. Some may be an exception but this is a general rule.

By the same logic you simply becoming a parent by having unprotected sex does not make you an expert at child rearing (as I have witnessed many times) or makes your child the cutest little boy/girl in the world. Nature makes you believe that.

Now, the fact that I can accept that it sometimes rains on a sunny holiday island does not mean I have to like it when I have 2 weeks of rain when I take that holiday of a lifetime on [insert your favorite island here]. I can take my private jet and move to another island but alas; limited funds.

What I am trying to say is that you should not confuse us not appreciating a crying child in any cabin with a hatred for children or any kind of personality disorder. Also, I don't need to be able to play the piano to hear if someone else can. The same goes for parenting. Trust me.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:10 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by ukgooner
I actually do think this is a BA issue. The whole purpose of premium cabins is rest, and if they willingly sell tickets to families in those cabins then they are complicit in potentially destroying the value proposition.

I think the OP makes a good point, but it always seems to come down to the "With Kids" posters who seem to have no empathy with those who don't see the them as little angels who should be indulged, but out of control noise polluters.

And in fact this the issue on board. 90% of parents respect the fact that, if in the premium cabins, those around don't wish to be entertained by their offspring, just as if they choose to take them into a premium restaurant, they can't treat it like a family pub. If they want a relaxed "anything goes" experience for the brood - then its pub for lunch or the economy cabin.

I had a really annoying F expereince recently, where the couple just let their 3 kids run amok. The attitude was "we / our employer have paid for this, therefore we can do what we like - and damn the other folk who have saved for the experience"

Actually it must have been reported by the crew, as i got some Avios. But I'm not saying how many cause you will all want some...
Ah, but that's not what we're talking about, now is it? There's a large difference between a baby who cries (not something that can really be controlled) and children who are running around the cabin. You're shifting the argument now, to one that I don't think anyone will disagree - children running amok should not be acceptable in *any* cabin, not only premium ones. However, neither situation is the fault of BA.

However, crying children do occur, and we do need to travel with our children on occasion. It's not at all like a restaurant, where one does not stay for 10-12 hours, and also has the option of stepping outside.

You know very well children are allowed to fly and you also know very well where the cot seats are, if you spend any time at all on flyertalk. For someone to demand compensation for something like this, seems to me...well, sad.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:10 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
You're shifting the argument now, to one that I don't think anyone will disagree - children running amok should not be acceptable in *any* cabin, not only premium ones. However, neither situation is the fault of BA.
The hotels chains forums are full of people asking for (and getting) compensation because they couldn't sleep due to other guests being noisy for whatever reason. This isn't generally the fault of the hotel, either. One could say that the purpose of an hotel room is to sleep, and the purpose of a plane ticket is transportation, but if the airlines advertize their premium cabins as places to sleep in to arrive relaxed at destination, the distinction is more blurry.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Avoid MRU in J on 4 June.

I will cry throughout the flight, run up and down the aisles and throw tantrums when my choice of food is not available.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:16 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Overall agree somewhat with your analysis and highly selective parsing of the literature. However, I think the two are not mutually exclusive. One really does become more patient and tolerant when one is a parent (at least in this n=1).

And although I can, as a non-pianist, appreciate when my pianist wife plays a wrong note, I don't really, truly, appreciate the effort required to get to the point where the rest sounds so good that the single wrong note jars.

Being a parent is not a unique and outstanding job: in fact, it is one of the most common shared experiences on the planet. As parents, we like to to think that a) we are especially good at this thing, despite lack of training, b)noone else can appreciate what we go through, c) our children are 'better than average' [a la garrison keillor]. But, it's nonetheless a very different type of challenge to anything else that I do, and certainly, I can say for one, any preconceptions that I had before parenting were largely false. One of the biggest being that it's always easy to know what the right course of action in a situation is: it's not, at least for me, nor my wife, who is far wiser than I am.

Of course, none of this solves the OP's dilemma. I'd like to encourage them to write to BA CS, and let us know what the outcome is.

tb

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Actually, it has nothing to do with patience. It is a biological phenomena. The cries of a child are finely tuned by mother nature to be the most irritating sound in the world to adults. Men will try to solve the situation that makes the child cry and women will want to comfort the child. However nowadays, neither is allowed since only the brilliant 'expert' parents are allowed to sooth (or not) their children.

The moment you become a parent yourself the sound of children crying all of a sudden becomes less irritating for men. That is because they produce a lot less testosterone in the first years after birth and become (literally) more feminine. Hence your more relaxed demeanor. It has nothing to do with gaining some kind of special insight or maturity. I am sorry to disappoint.

So, dear parents, please realize that for us - non parents - a child's cry is actually finely tuned to irritate us to no extend. That is not because we are idiots but because nature intended it that way. Some may be an exception but this is a general rule.

By the same logic you simply becoming a parent by having unprotected sex does not make you an expert at child rearing (as I have witnessed many times) or makes your child the cutest little boy/girl in the world. Nature makes you believe that.

Now, the fact that I can accept that it sometimes rains on a sunny holiday island does not mean I have to like it when I have 2 weeks of rain when I take that holiday of a lifetime on [insert your favorite island here]. I can take my private jet and move to another island but alas; limited funds.

What I am trying to say is that you should not confuse us not appreciating a crying child in any cabin with a hatred for children or any kind of personality disorder. Also, I don't need to be able to play the piano to hear if someone else can. The same goes for parenting. Trust me.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by thomastuyaerts
Thx for the replies. No I do not think that BA is at fault. but I can tell you that from all the tuts and evil looks of other pax it was clear that most people payed a premium for a comfy few hrs of sleep and not to listen to a screaming baby!

Why promote a fully flat bed in a premium cabin if you are going to have screaming children keeping you awake all night anyway. that more the point I am making. The bassinet is there so I understand that they will use it...

BTW a fart never woke me up before hiddy, I know, my wife tells me all the time...^
I can guarantee you that 99% of parents in this situation feel even worse than everyone else in the cabin. It's not like they want to hear their baby cry while keeping everyone else awake. If I noticed someone giving me the stare for too long due to a crying baby, I'd ask them: Do you actually think we enjoy this? We're suffering just as much as you, and if you want real privacy, fly First or a PJ.

Who knows with children really? Age, development, recent experiences, growing etc all contribute to making life tough. Especially up to two-three years old when they can't talk or communicate flawlessly, hence screaming.

Petrus Jr has flown extensively, and on Sunday was his first screaming flight. He's 19 months. In December & january he did ARN-LHR-EZE-LHR-ARN in Club with a fever on the outbound and was quiet as a mouse, and had just started to learn how to walk properly. As a 4 month old he did a run to DXB in F, and was an angel the entire trip.

After experiencing ourselves, talking to friends and family, it does appear that the age span between 1 1/2 and 3 is the worst. As such, Petrus Jr is grounded from the next long-haul
Old May 29, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Originally Posted by henkybaby

The moment you become a parent yourself the sound of children crying all of a sudden becomes less irritating for men. That is because they produce a lot less testosterone in the first years after birth and become (literally) more feminine. Hence your more relaxed demeanor.

[Citation needed]
Old May 29, 2012, 1:54 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Originally Posted by Richelieu
The hotels chains forums are full of people asking for (and getting) compensation because they couldn't sleep due to other guests being noisy for whatever reason. This isn't generally the fault of the hotel, either. One could say that the purpose of an hotel room is to sleep, and the purpose of a plane ticket is transportation, but if the airlines advertize their premium cabins as places to sleep in to arrive relaxed at destination, the distinction is more blurry.
Inadequate noise shielding is most certainly the fault of the hotel and any hotel that fails to provide it deserves everything it gets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.