Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crying baby in club world??

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Anfield
You can't really do anything except be prepared with a decent pair of in-ear headphones and some of these . . . the most amazingly comfortable and effective ear-plugs I've used (having tried over a dozen others). @:-)
You can just hit the champagne, hard. I can sleep through anything after that.
Old May 28, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you get compensation for that do let me know.

I shall claim for being pestered by farters, snorers, sniffers,throat clearers,loud talkers,noisy eaters, nose pickers,head scratchers,starers and ugly people.
^^
Old May 28, 2012, 3:41 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
I have taken all 3 of my kids on aircraft long haul (kangaroo run) many times and my wife and I ensured that they were well behaved because we too wanted to sleep. I despair at parents who lose control of their children, there is simply no excuse for it.

I have a lot of sympathy for business travellers who pay a premium price on the basis that they will arrive at their destination well rested. Perhaps if the cost of taking children into a premium cabin were increased then parents may be disinclined to seat them there. Personally I feel that this would be unfair on parents that handle their children well and don't disturb others. However I have the distinct impression that such parents are getting thinner on the ground.

Don't expect any compensation, but by all means complain. If BA charged more for children they could put more CC resources into controlling them... a move that seems to be necessary because parents appear to be losing their touch!
Old May 28, 2012, 3:44 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
My best investment in travel gear:

Bose QC15 (or something similar)

No, it's not the airlines fault that children cry. It's a natural behaviour.
Old May 28, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by elwe
You can just hit the champagne, hard. I can sleep through anything after that.
Ah yes, you mean Plan A.

Mine was a back-up solution . . . obviously!
Old May 28, 2012, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX gold
Originally Posted by Anfield
Ah yes, you mean Plan A.

Mine was a back-up solution . . . obviously!
Had my earplugs in, had 6 glasses of good champagne, a glass of red with my veal and a beautiful whiskey with my cheese. How much cane one person drink
Old May 28, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by thomastuyaerts
How much can one person drink
If you know the answer to that, then you haven't really pushed yourself.
Old May 28, 2012, 3:56 pm
Suspended

I do not fully agree with Malaysia airlines to ban kids in business and first class. But i do hope that premier airlines to stop selling kids/infant tickets in Business and First class, or maybe a minimum age to travel in Business/First class (e.g. 6 years old, the school age; better than crying babies). They are welcomed in Economy Plus and Economy class. That would make a lot of difference.
Old May 28, 2012, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by mumblemumble
My 2 year old is already SCH and will probably be GCH before the end of the year. So according to BA policy this toddler has preferential seating rights over most adults. How's that for irony?
^
Old May 28, 2012, 4:24 pm

I too love my Bose, and wouldn't dream of travelling long haul without them. However, while they work a treat on the constant drone of engine noise, they do absolutely nothing to cancel the varying tones of a screaming infant.

Do others have a different experience with noise cancelling headphones?
Old May 28, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
I actually do think this is a BA issue. The whole purpose of premium cabins is rest, and if they willingly sell tickets to families in those cabins then they are complicit in potentially destroying the value proposition.

I think the OP makes a good point, but it always seems to come down to the "With Kids" posters who seem to have no empathy with those who don't see the them as little angels who should be indulged, but out of control noise polluters.

And in fact this the issue on board. 90% of parents respect the fact that, if in the premium cabins, those around don't wish to be entertained by their offspring, just as if they choose to take them into a premium restaurant, they can't treat it like a family pub. If they want a relaxed "anything goes" experience for the brood - then its pub for lunch or the economy cabin.

I had a really annoying F expereince recently, where the couple just let their 3 kids run amok. The attitude was "we / our employer have paid for this, therefore we can do what we like - and damn the other folk who have saved for the experience"

Actually it must have been reported by the crew, as i got some Avios. But I'm not saying how many cause you will all want some...
Old May 28, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Dean Swift was on target with his remedy for the hunger and high childbirth rate among the Irish. The answer to infants in Club World is the roast them to a sizzling turn, and serve them up with Yorkshire puddings and a substantial bowl of spotted dog (or a bit of Wensleydale and a sour apple for the health conscious).

Those trolleys from which DL once carved and served Prime Rib could be re-claimed, rolled up the aisles to pick up the little waifs soon after boarding, and returning a few hours later to provide everyone a well-roasted joint!
Old May 28, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
No, unless for some reason you think BA was at fault!

My 12 month old did BGI LGW 2 weeks ago, overnight, and slept for almost all of it. The other 2 babies in CW also slept well. Luck of the draw. Anyway, since it is clear on the seat map where the babies will be, assuming they have bassinets, you can have a quieter life by avoiding them.

Personally, if mine plays up, I take them to the galley and let them have a crawl. Normally cheers them up.
Strictly speaking BA are at fault, as they position business and first as a premium experience. Part of this experience is arriving at your destination feeling well rested and relaxed. (Especially on a sleeper service). Knowingly selling tickets to babies and small children puts that premium experience at risk.

As for the location of the bassinets - on the upper deck or in first, do you really think it makes a difference what seat they are in? The whole cabin will still be disturbed.

Compensation is unlikely, but if enough people write in then perhaps BA will realise they need to address this issue.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Lobengula
My best investment in travel gear:

Bose QC15 (or something similar)
Do you manage to sleep whilst wearing those? I would find them very uncomfortable (but I do sleep on my side).
Old May 28, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Ah, this thread in another name. I do entirely sympathize with the OP and am not happy either when travelling alone and have a crying baby in the cabin. But, I do think an awful lot comes down to the parents and the surroundings. If one of mine cries, I tend to move to the galley and rock them, but try to deal with it right away and not let them cry. But, I do find that the extra space and calmer atmosphere in CW or F seems to keep the kids much calmer.

For me personally, I find adults talking loudly on a night flight to be the most annoying.

I have even been on an F flight with 3 babies on 2 infants on there (not all mine at all). Was really quiet and the infants played together in one of the seats for most of the flight until falling asleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.