Wiki Posts
Search

Crying baby in club world??

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
If flying with the general public is so difficult, might I suggest you opt for a private jet in the future?
Ah, already at post #30. Usually this original and useful suggestion pops up around post #50.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:13 pm

If you want to sleep on an aircraft no matter what cabin you are in then I can't understand why you wouldn't have a good pair of noise reduction headphones at the very least? That would certainly have made sleeping easier on the flight that you described and the headphones cost a fraction of the price of a CW MCO-LGW ticket.

We have all been on flights were a baby or a child goes wild and it is never a great experience. Sometimes it is certainly fair to 'blame the parents' but other times the parents can be literally pulling their hair out trying to calm down a baby or child and in those instances they almost always feel a hell of a lot worse about the situation than anyone else on board.

Luckily for us our little girl has almost always behaved like an angel when traveling in premium cabins and it is only when we fly economy that she seems to cause trouble! I remember one flight in particular DXB-KUL when she just wouldn't stop crying for the whole 8 hour overnight flight. She'd had her MMR jab the day before and at the end of that ordeal even I felt like putting in a complaint to EK!!
Old May 28, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HHon Diamond, Fairmont Prem
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
If flying with the general public is so difficult, might I suggest you opt for a private jet in the future?
If I could, I would.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX gold
I think we are going slightly off topic. I wanted to know if people had precedents about crying children in premium cabins. And what was said or done about it by the airline. I wanted some stories and have a bit of a discussion about it via this forum.

I never said that crying children are unacceptable in any given circumstance.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:29 pm

Many moons ago I was a TATL FA, with both day and night flights. The airline was a budget/affordable one and we had tons of families.

When we had crying babies at night, we usually offered the mothers to take charge of the infant(s) for a while, so they could get a rest. One or two of us would walk up and own the aisles, babies would often fall asleep, and keep them on our laps in galley. The other FAs looked after the cabins and pax. Come morning, the mothers, surprised at the peace, would race down to the galleys and pick up their babies who were very sleepy & happy to see them. We could then start the breakfast service.

Daytime services weren't much different, in between services, except we did a lot of cooing and playing ~ basically tireing them out. Oh, we had some hollerers in between, but mostly these little ones were just too astonished to fuss much.

Should we FAs have been paid more for more work? I don't think so. Should the OP be compensated for human behaviour ~ I don't think so..........
Old May 28, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by henkybaby
I doubt that will ever happen but out of curiosity, who here would choose the baby friendly one when not traveling with children?

I certainly would not...
I guess it would have limited appeal
Old May 28, 2012, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX gold
Originally Posted by Soames
Many moons ago I was a TATL FA, with both day and night flights. The airline was a budget/affordable one and we had tons of families.

When we had crying babies at night, we usually offered the mothers to take charge of the infant(s) for a while, so they could get a rest. One or two of us would walk up and own the aisles, babies would often fall asleep, and keep them on our laps in galley. The other FAs looked after the cabins and pax. Come morning, the mothers, surprised at the peace, would race down to the galleys and pick up their babies who were very sleepy & happy to see them. We could then start the breakfast service.

Daytime services weren't much different, in between services, except we did a lot of cooing and playing ~ basically tireing them out. Oh, we had some hollerers in between, but mostly these little ones were just too astonished to fuss much.

Should we FAs have been paid more for more work? I don't think so. Should the OP be compensated for human behaviour ~ I don't think so..........
Thank you for your reply, I admire your way you handled little pax in your time as a FA, wanna work for BA ^
Old May 28, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Ah, already at post #30. Usually this original and useful suggestion pops up around post #50.
might as well go all the way!:

http://www.netjets.com/
Old May 28, 2012, 2:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
did you ask the parent[s] to buy you a drink?
Old May 28, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by thomastuyaerts
little quote of the BA website,

Welcome to Club World

Club World longhaul business class is designed around you. From the moment you arrive at the airport to the moment you leave us at your destination we ensure everything is just as you wish.

Whether you’re travelling for business or pleasure, you have the flexibility to sleep, work or relax so you arrive refreshed and ready for the day ahead.

^
Marketing puff (contractually worthless) = that.

Contractually binding promise =/= that.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:51 pm

Crying baby in club world??

I think we would all end up happier to accept that there is always a risk of crying infants near your seat in any cabin, and count ourselves fortunate when it doesn't happen. And I say this as someone who has 3 overnight flights in the next 7 days!
Old May 28, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
You can't really do anything except be prepared with a decent pair of in-ear headphones and some of these . . . the most amazingly comfortable and effective ear-plugs I've used (having tried over a dozen others). @:-)
Old May 28, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
I doubt that will ever happen but out of curiosity, who here would choose the baby friendly one when not traveling with children?

I certainly would not...
You'd be surprised. 9M recently announced they will be not having babies and small children on the upper desk of their 380s which I think is absolutely right thing to do. If one disturbs others, this one had to be segregated to separate cabin. For me, this places 9M above all one world carriers with the credit towards knowing what their customers actually want.
AX

Last edited by AX9465; May 28, 2012 at 3:26 pm
Old May 28, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
If you get compensation for that do let me know.

I shall claim for being pestered by farters, snorers, sniffers,throat clearers,loud talkers,noisy eaters, nose pickers,head scratchers,starers and ugly people.
Brilliant comment, why don't we just get the airlines to bannish children under the age of 5 to fly in CW, if they fly in CW or F they have to be sedated for the whole flight and wear a muzzle !! just in case they wake up mid flight. Irresponsible parents who allow their kids to cry during a flight should have their avios and TP's removed. As Hiddy suggests, where do you draw the line....I would be embarrassed to submit a claim for compensation under these cicumstances

Last edited by mike&co; May 28, 2012 at 3:14 pm
Old May 28, 2012, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by AX9465
You'd be surprised. 9M recently announced they will be not having babies and small children on the upper desk of their 380s which I think is absolutely right thing to do. If one disturbs others, this one had to be segregated to separate cabin.
AX
My 2 year old is already SCH and will probably be GCH before the end of the year. So according to BA policy this toddler has preferential seating rights over most adults. How's that for irony?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.