Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crying baby in club world??

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by janetdoe
The difference is that humans are acutely attuned to the cries of an infant. The purpose of crying is to provoke a reaction from adults, and biology makes it near impossible to ignore the cries of an infant. I would not ask for compensation if snoring kept me awake, instead I would shake the person who was snoring and ask them to change positions. I would probably be arrested if I shook a crying child.
if you shook me, you would be arrested as well as i claimed you assaulted me in a violent manner without provocation. i lie well and am very vindictive...that said, your arguement is feeble. try again.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: I am a lowly ant
I think there are a lot of people saying, "It's not my fault" or "No one can control the situation" when in fact what they mean is "I consider the solutions to these problems to be inconvenient/unacceptable/drastic."
They are only solutions if you consider there to be a problem.

I really do not.

I remember arriving at LHR for a Sri Lankan Airlines flight about 10 years ago, they told me it was full. In the end I was seated next to a Sri Lankan lady with her infant in the bassinet row. Was it a problem to me then, childless?

No.

If you have an entitlement complex about who else you consider should be on 'your' plane, that's your problem. Not mine.

There are two parental examples in this thread that I think are highly instructive. First the gentleman who said that, since 18 months to 3 years is the worst time to take kids on airplanes, they would not be taking their child on any long-haul flights during that time period. He is to be commended for a sensible attitude that surely makes everyone (especially the child) happier. It's not like the toddler is going to benefit from flying across an ocean and having experiences it won't remember.
Er, I don't think anyone is taking toddlers on planes for the toddler's benefit. They take them because THEY want a holiday. If you leave your toddler at home while you fly off somewhere, you WILL be arrested.

Although personally speaking I sometimes take my children on long-haul flights to visit my in-laws (their grandparents), who are unable to visit the UK.

I do have a problem with the opposite attitude: I think it's sad that someone would bring a child into the world with such a selfish attitude. Having children requires either a lifestyle change or sufficient money to hire full-time-staff to care for the child.
Yes there is a lifestyle change. Instead of going on holiday to Las Vegas you go to Orlando. Instead of Siem Reap you visit Phuket. Instead of Venice you go to Tenerife.

It's bizarre that you imagine that people have no lifestyle change with children.

I am not sure how full-time staff are going to help?

This is based on discussions I have had with two different doctors who are parents - they recommend pre-emptive drugging of children on airplanes. But of course you should consult your own physician.
Indeed.

Some other gems that I can't resist commenting on:
The difference is that humans are acutely attuned to the cries of an infant. The purpose of crying is to provoke a reaction from adults, and biology makes it near impossible to ignore the cries of an infant. I would not ask for compensation if snoring kept me awake, instead I would shake the person who was snoring and ask them to change positions. I would probably be arrested if I shook a crying child.
Strawmen, much? If you had someone who was snoring, then shaking them awake would indeed stop them snoring (although I doubt you would), but it might provoke further undesired behaviour.

Shaking a crying child is not going to stop them crying.

There are lots of things that can disturb people. On my last long-haul flight I was sat in economy in the left-hand seat of three, with nobody in front, and a row behind. About 30 minutes before landing I got the passive aggressive treatment from the old woman behind me who told me I was very restless, which was a bit of a useless piece of information at that point, as we were about to land, but anyway I find it difficult to sleep on flights, I'm 6' and 14.5 stone, I have not heard anyone saying that I should stay at home.

How is it out of their control? BA sells the tickets.When I travel with my niece, I bring books and entertainment, and spend a lot of time picking up after her. I understand it's difficult to travel with children, but then again, everything is more difficult with children. Which is why I chose not to have children. <shrug>
Ok?

Best I know the airlines make a commercial decision on children. People might ..... and moan about them, but I don't see people switching airlines because of them. So the airlines really have no incentive to discourage children, who after all help fill the airline and pay for that fuel....
Old May 29, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA Silver, EK Silver, ABP ;)
[JOKE]

[/JOKE]
Old May 29, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mkjr
if you shook me, you would be arrested as well as i claimed you assaulted me in a violent manner without provocation. i lie well and am very vindictive...that said, your arguement is feeble. try again.
Less feeble than your spelling!
Old May 29, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: I am a lowly ant
Originally Posted by CCayley
Less feeble than your spelling!
Or your response.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by meester69
Or your response.
My point is that if someone is going to attack or patronise the poster, rather than respond to the points that were made, they should at least do so competently. Otherwise they open themselves to legitimate retaliation.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
Originally Posted by divemtt:18660485
I don't mean to derail this, and maybe someone can direct me to the thread that complains about smelly people, but ...

I really would love to know what can be done about smelly people. I was stuck on a 15 hour flight next to a peasant-like woman (I don't mean to get involved with the gender-based discussion going on) and her B.O. would waft my way every few minutes. Certainly way more often than even the fartiest seatmate could possibly be. I too have done tissue paper in nose for nosebleeds, but the only defensive tactic I could come up with was to pull my shirt over my nose and huddle the other way. I thought about borrowing perfume from someone to spritz her ...

What is this Olbas oil stuff? And will it pass TSA?
But this is FT - no tangent left untaken....

Olbas oil is a pretty pungent mixture of various natural oils, and it's designed as an alternative to those Vick's inhaler sticks that you poke up your nose and snort if you have a really bad cold and want to clear a blocked nose. The idea being that you drip a couple of drops in a glass of milk or tea and drink it, or just leave in hot water to diffuse around the room. But you can dab some on your upper lip if you prefer, and that will pretty much block out most things. Peppermint oil would probably also work, but I think Olbas has a more pungent blend. Should be TSA safe, since it's in a small bottle, and if they question it you can tell them it's a decongestant and you have it along for a cold... Swiss made, I think, but certainly widely available in the UK.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by mkjr
That is such a load of poppycock... You were asleep. You make a lousy witness.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
This is the thing that annoys me most about some parents. The attitude that because they've got a baby/child that everybody else should bend over backwards for them.
Why? I don't get it.
I agree - this annoys me - people leave their prams in the middle of the aisle on trains and expect people to get around them - unfortunately I'm in the minority of being considerate and making sure I am in the correct carriage for prams.

even though I am a parent there seems to be more inconsiderate parents seems more than considerate ones.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:25 pm

that;s more comfortable than Y! and you get complete darkness as well - so you don't have the person next to you having the light on all the time

Originally Posted by jmpawson
[JOKE]

[/JOKE]
Old May 29, 2012, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by thomastuyaerts

Is a crying baby in club world that is keeping you out of your sleep for most of a overnight flight between MCO and LGW enough to write to customer care?
Not guilty - this time!
Old May 29, 2012, 12:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Mod hat on

It would be much appreciated if some of you who are getting a little heated could calm down please?

I would prefer not to have to deploy an ice bucket full of iced water - sans champagne inside.

Thanks very much for your cooperation.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA Forum

Mod hat off
Old May 29, 2012, 12:29 pm

I
Yes, both of those are tongue-in-cheek suggestions, but as I mentioned above, pre-emptive Benadryl and Tylenol get a ^ from some doctors.
ant-histamines work as well - my brother-in-law (who is a doctor) administered to his daughter - they had a very peaceful flight!
Old May 29, 2012, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This subject has been done to death a hundred times over....yet people still prattle on about it as if it happens on a regular basis.
Honestly.....what percentage of all the long haul flights that you've ever taken has a screaming child affected your comfort for more than say ten minutes?

In my case....none that I recall. I find the PA announcements more of a nuisance.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by HIDDY
what percentage of all the long haul flights that you've ever taken has a screaming child affected your comfort for more than say ten minutes?
On my regular short haul (TLS-AMS) there is (at least one) crying child for the duration of the flight. Always. No exception. No idea why.

On my long haul I had it (more than 50% of the flight a child crying or screaming) once in F (not on BA) and about once or twice a year in J. I can't recall how many times in Y.

That said, I am really not that bothered because I have Etymotic in ear noise canceling headphones. You can put 2 screaming babies on my lap and I still don't hear them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.