Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer Avios (Iberia Plus) to Avios (BA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, Emirates, BA, Virgin Atlantic, US Airways
But some Iberia redemptions have a lot less taxes and fees than BA and since Avios can be used for both, it is a good choice.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by floyd777
But some Iberia redemptions have a lot less taxes and fees than BA and since Avios can be used for both, it is a good choice.
Oh, I agree. If you're coming from the US into Europe anyway its a no-brainer I think, assuming you aren't so desperate to land in the UK first.

Iberia currently has a sale on various routes as well (see my blog last week) with up to 35% off the miles required, which makes it an even more interesting proposition. For a few hundred quid tax saving plus a miles saving, I can take some grumpy staff and a sloping seat.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Raffles
and a sloping seat.
Have they not all been converted to fully horizontal now? I thought they had.

[Genuine question, although I have a sense of dejavu about saying that, I think I've asked the same thing before, again saying that I thought they had now all been converted....]
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Oh, I agree. If you're coming from the US into Europe anyway its a no-brainer I think, assuming you aren't so desperate to land in the UK first.

Iberia currently has a sale on various routes as well (see my blog last week) with up to 35% off the miles required, which makes it an even more interesting proposition. For a few hundred quid tax saving plus a miles saving, I can take some grumpy staff and a sloping seat.
That's a great point. I checked your blog but couldn't find any post that talks about the 35% discount on flights.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:55 am

That's a great point. I checked your blog but couldn't find any post that talks about the 35% discount on flights.
LINK
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:13 pm

Thanks for the link.

This is very good because I do want to travel within a couple of cities within Europe. Problem is, I still not able to transfer Avios points from BAEC to IB+ account. It gives me the standard error message that the account should be 3 months old.

I transferred 1000 Avios successfully from Amex to IB+ but it still has not activated my account.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000

If you want to to avoid tourist crowds, NKC is only 26 000 return in business

http://www.afriquejet.com/tourism-ma...090844543.html
tourist arrivals 173 in 2011
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:43 pm

Avios to Iberia transfer still not going through

It's been several days since I transferred 1000 MR miles to Iberia Plus. Based on other people's experience, the Iberia Plus account should have been active but it seems like it's still is not allowing me to transfer miles from BAEC to Iberia Plus.

Does anyone have advice on how I can expedite this transfer and not have to wait 3 months?

The message it gives when I try to transfer is "Sorry, your selected account has to be three months old to use Combine My Avios. Please try again at this time"

I want to redeem some tickets for December and can see availability right now.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: MUCCI
It's been several days since I transferred 1000 MR miles to Iberia Plus. Based on other people's experience, the Iberia Plus account should have been active but it seems like it's still is not allowing me to transfer miles from BAEC to Iberia Plus.
This is correct behaviour.
Your IB+ account *IS* active now.

However, it remains the case that, as per the T&C, you can not transfer to or from an IB+ account within the first 90 days after opening the IB+ account.

Does anyone have advice on how I can expedite this transfer and not have to wait 3 months?
I can not recall anyone posting any way to get around this requirment.

I want to redeem some tickets for December and can see availability right now.
Can you get yourself Avios into your IB+ account by any other means? Amex/hotel/etc.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 3:38 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
You should be able to book the same flights via BA, if its trying to give you only BA flights, the trick is to search for a date where there is no BA availability, click include partners in order to start showing IB flights then move the dates to the ones you want.

It's a bit long winded and clunky but it should work.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
You should be able to book the same flights via BA, if its trying to give you only BA flights, the trick is to search for a date where there is no BA availability, click include partners in order to start showing IB flights then move the dates to the ones you want.

It's a bit long winded and clunky but it should work.
Thanks PanGalactic but I don't think this is true. I just spent half an hour comparing all the various options between BA and Iberia. There is a lot more availability on Iberia Plus (from New York to MAD, BCN, FCO, MXP and other airports) than is showing on BA.

And on top of that even when I find something on BA that is exactly the same flight, same destination - it shows a much higher fee than on Iberia Plus.

Look at this

23 Dec
John F Kennedy (NY) to (New York)
Madrid IB6250
Iberia
Economy

On BA:

18000 Avios + $ 301.70

On Iberia Plus:

18,000 Avios + $ 204.93
Old Sep 24, 2012, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Iberia Plus shows two levels of economy awards I suspect this is what makes you think they show more availability.....BAEC only shows the Blue Class ones.

You are indeed correct in saying that IB Plus often charge a lot less taxes/charges on award tickets.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Iberia Plus shows two levels of economy awards I suspect this is what makes you think they show more availability.....BAEC only shows the Blue Class ones.

You are indeed correct in saying that IB Plus often charge a lot less taxes/charges on award tickets.
On Iberia - the blue class are usually not available and that's probably why BAEC availability is so bad.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Originally Posted by HIDDY
On Iberia - the blue class are usually not available and that's probably why BAEC availability is so bad.

Who is correct ?

So you can't get ALL IB award seats with Avios even by phoning BAEC?

That makes no sense!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Who is correct ?

So you can't get ALL IB award seats with Avios even by phoning BAEC?

That makes no sense!
IB have two sets of economy awards - Blue Class and Economy.....with the former being the ones that BA use. The IB Economy awards have a premium price....for example 50% more Avios for a EZE-MAD award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.