Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer Avios (Iberia Plus) to Avios (BA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Excellent IB customer service

Originally Posted by alexchang
Thank you guys for your awesome help. Just want to make quick confirmation here.

1. So the exact reason that some people fail to find "Combine My Avios" on IB+ is that our IB+ account is less than 90-day-old?

2. If we fail to find CMA on IB+, have we have an BA HHA, then we have to make this transfer on Avios.com?

3. I just successfully created an Avios account by faking a UK address (haha). But my IB+ and BAEC accounts were registered under my local address (which is different from the UK address). Also the phone numbers are different between my Avios account and IB/BA accounts. Will this be a problem? If it will be in the future, can I change my IB and BA's address and phone numbers?

4. I saw the previous thread that we can also disband BA HHA and then transfer from IB to BA and the re-establish it. I'm curious, do we really have to wait another 6 months to be qualified to re-establish a BA HHA? Disbading and Reestablish BA HHA will cost you any Avios?

^^^
I don't know about moving from IB to BA but I tried the reverse and it did not work. BA customer service threw up their hands and kept saying EVERYTHING on the accounts must be identical, which I verified was true. BA basically said they could do nothing.

I called IB and they said, duh the BA agent should have told you that the IB account needs to have activity (I had already crossed the 3 month threshold). So I did an Amex MR transfer and waited 2 days to try again.

Made multiple attempts, including changing the case on my street address as Iberia had it all caps and BA did not. Got rid of the "1" (US country code) on my phone number. I even made the account PINs the same and tried again. Then BA.com said my account was locked.

I can still login to my BA account, so I figure it was my IB account is locked. The BA.com error message gave a longwinded error code and me to call customer service. Finally in desperation, I called IB customer service (in Spain), because they are open 24hrs whereas BA goes to bed at 8pm Pacific Time.

For all the rants on this site about them, I found the agent to be far more courteous in tone and helpful in deed than I have ever found with BA customer service.

The IB rep told me the account lockout was a new feature and they were supposed to verify personal information via a web form - which was always blank when I loaded it - so he suggested I wait for the time out period (24 hours) and in the meanwhile he offered to help. He did the transfer, made the booking I was planning to make (requiring 25 EU in fees, as opposed to USD 85 that BA wanted), without any telephone ticketing fees whatever.

Not the best way to do it - I'm going to try making the IB pin numeric only and failing that open an Avios.com account. I have zero miles on IB so don't have to worry about the reverse transfer.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:18 am

Would it be possible that your IB+ account was not active so that you failed to transfer IN the avios from BAEC account???

Is your BA account a Household one?

Did you try transferring to Avios.com and then from Avios.com into IB+?

Originally Posted by rj123456
I don't know about moving from IB to BA but I tried the reverse and it did not work. BA customer service threw up their hands and kept saying EVERYTHING on the accounts must be identical, which I verified was true. BA basically said they could do nothing.

I called IB and they said, duh the BA agent should have told you that the IB account needs to have activity (I had already crossed the 3 month threshold). So I did an Amex MR transfer and waited 2 days to try again.

Made multiple attempts, including changing the case on my street address as Iberia had it all caps and BA did not. Got rid of the "1" (US country code) on my phone number. I even made the account PINs the same and tried again. Then BA.com said my account was locked.

I can still login to my BA account, so I figure it was my IB account is locked. The BA.com error message gave a longwinded error code and me to call customer service. Finally in desperation, I called IB customer service (in Spain), because they are open 24hrs whereas BA goes to bed at 8pm Pacific Time.

For all the rants on this site about them, I found the agent to be far more courteous in tone and helpful in deed than I have ever found with BA customer service.

The IB rep told me the account lockout was a new feature and they were supposed to verify personal information via a web form - which was always blank when I loaded it - so he suggested I wait for the time out period (24 hours) and in the meanwhile he offered to help. He did the transfer, made the booking I was planning to make (requiring 25 EU in fees, as opposed to USD 85 that BA wanted), without any telephone ticketing fees whatever.

Not the best way to do it - I'm going to try making the IB pin numeric only and failing that open an Avios.com account. I have zero miles on IB so don't have to worry about the reverse transfer.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 1:17 pm

1/2 of a success story BA to IB

We of course tried the simple BA method, failure; then from the IB side after buying Avios-no go again. So we called the BA # and after changing our IB password to all numbers and then doing a one numeral zip code correction the miles actually went to IB. The rep suggested wait a couple of days to try a test the other direction. He was very helpful and even suggested a place to go in Madrid! He called us back to make sure it worked. For what it is worth I thought I would share as you all helped us.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by rj123456
Not the best way to do it - I'm going to try making the IB pin numeric only and failing that open an Avios.com account.
IB pin MUST be numeric only, nothing works otherwise.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life & Marriott lifetime Platinum
Transfer instantaneously possible from old IB account to newly created BAEC account??

Hi,
I have since many years an IB account which is today active.
I just created a Baec account as I want to book one way awards with my avios (this can't be done on IB that require return awards but works on BA)
Beyond getting the same ID/address,etc, in both accounts, should I also wait 90 days (and/or to have at least a transaction on my BAEC account) in order to be able to make the transfer from IB to BAEC ?

Thank you for the feedback

PS : I got access to the "Combine Avios" screen but transfer won't work
Old Sep 6, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by neuromancer
IB pin MUST be numeric only, nothing works otherwise.
Well, my IB PIN is alphanumeric and works just fine.

Originally Posted by Eddy421
Hi,
I have since many years an IB account which is today active.
I just created a Baec account as I want to book one way awards with my avios (this can't be done on IB that require return awards but works on BA)
Beyond getting the same ID/address,etc, in both accounts, should I also wait 90 days (and/or to have at least a transaction on my BAEC account) in order to be able to make the transfer from IB to BAEC ?

Thank you for the feedback

PS : I got access to the "Combine Avios" screen but transfer won't work
I had my BAEC account working just fine. Although I did transfer some avios into it first from a credit card account, so you may need some way just to get a couple avios in before everything starts working right.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:15 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
I would try Avios account, it worked right away for me and it allows one way bookings.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Phew. What a performance!

Opened an IBERIA Plus account. Transferred my orphaned Melia hotel points to IBERIA Plus. Waited three months for my IBERIA Plus to gestate. Opened an Avios account. Changed my IBERIA password to numbers only. Pulled the IBERIA miles into Avios and then pushed them into BAEC household account.

It feels like I've cracked the final level in some role-playing game on my old Commodore64. Now that I have the holy grail in my hands, it's all a little anti-climactic. Well done Iberia-Avios-BA. You've recreated an interactive experience from the mid 1980s.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Just tried to transfer a small amount of e-rewards Avios from IB to BA, when logging into combine my avios I get the message

You can only move Avios from British Airways to Iberia Plus - you cannot move your Avios back again.

I've normally been able to move out of Iberia Plus without any problems on combine my avios. Does anyone know if this is a permanent change or just a glitch - if so it might affect a few Hilton HHonors people who are getting double dip miles to post 750 to IB instead of 500 to BA.

EDIT: Looks like it might be a glitch, it's saying the same for Avios to BAEC
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: BA OW Silver, Aegean *A Gold, Intercon Ambassador Gold, EY Gold
Iberia to BA

I have logged into BA and Iberia - however they only give the option to move points from BA to Iberia. How can you move from Iberia to BA - have they removed this option?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 9:21 am

Programs: BA OW Silver, Aegean *A Gold, Intercon Ambassador Gold, EY Gold
Just realised I have to go via Avios.com. Successfully done, but slightly silly.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:01 am

Hi,

I am looking to activate my IB Plus account. I would be willing to transfer 1000 SPG points to your account of choice, if you transfer 1000 Amex Membership Reward Points to my IB Plus Account.

PM me if you're interested.
Old Oct 17, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bariummeal
Just realised I have to go via Avios.com. Successfully done, but slightly silly.
Until a month ago I could combine direct from Iberia to BA. Similarly now I can only get them across via Avios.com
Old Dec 17, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by bariummeal
How can you move from Iberia to BA - have they removed this option?
My IB+ account has been open for some years but had zero balance until May this year when I credited some hotel points.

I just logged in to my IB+ account and clicked on "See balance and movements" but I can't find the Combine my Avios link. Has it moved?
Old Dec 17, 2013, 5:25 pm

I know that the "Combine My Avios" function is available on avios.com, if that is any help (I used it just yesterday).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.