Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer Avios (Iberia Plus) to Avios (BA)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:05 am

Programs: BAEC, KOP 305
Originally Posted by lkar
Does anyone know whether the 90-day rule is from account opening or account activation.

For example, I opened an IB account on May 1. I did not know about the "activation" requirement until June 1, at which point I transferred 1,000 Amex to Iberia.
Ahh good idea. I was wondering how I'd get my Iberia account active - just made a 1000 transfer from AMEX as well ^
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by Rome77
Ahh good idea. I was wondering how I'd get my Iberia account active - just made a 1000 transfer from AMEX as well ^
Are you sure that this will make your Iberia Plus account active?

I've been unable to transfer Avios from my BA Exec Club account to my Iberia Plus account because the Iberia account is not considered active. I recently converted points from my Melia Hotels MAS account to Avios in my Iberia account but was still unable to move Avios from my BA account. I phoned Iberia Plus today and was told that transfers from hotel loyalty programmes don't count as activity for Iberia Plus. The agent specifically mentioned that transfers from Amex also don't activate an account. Please let me know if your experience is that he's wrong!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:16 am

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by cvarming
A few days after I transferred 1000 amex points to Iberia my account was deemed active and I was allowed to transfer avios from BA.
Originally Posted by Alvador
As you can read in post 85 there is recent experience suggesting that an Amex transfer suffices.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:05 pm

As you can read in post 85 there is recent experience suggesting that an Amex transfer suffices.
Thanks. Sounds as though the agent I spoke to at Iberia Plus was wrong. I'll wait a few days in case the transfer from Melia hotels is going to activate my account and if not will probably make an Amex MR transfer.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:15 pm

The 1000 Avios have now appeared on my Iberia Plus account, but I'm still a week short of three months since opening the account. So I'll try a transfer in a week's time and will you know how I get on...
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:09 am

Thanks. Sounds as though the agent I spoke to at Iberia Plus was wrong. I'll wait a few days in case the transfer from Melia hotels is going to activate my account and if not will probably make an Amex MR transfer.
Tried to use Combine my Avios again today to transfer Avios from BA to Iberia and this time it worked.
So I conclude:
1. A transfer from hotel points to Avios in an Iberia Plus account does make the account active.
2. It takes a few days after the transfer from the hotel programme is received for the Iberia Plus account to become active.
3. You can't rely on what you're told by the agents at the Iberia Plus call centre.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know transfer from E-Rewards to IB+ would activate the account?

The redemption for $100 E-Reward currency for IB+ is 3000 Avios versus only 2000 for BA.

I dont have an IB+ account now but thinking about opening one. I understand the 90 days period required but also wonder if the 3000 from E-Rewards would activate the IB+ account so later I can go the IB+ > Avios.com > BA route to move the avios to BA account?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:46 pm

Programs: BA IHG
Originally Posted by Happy
The redemption for $100 E-Reward currency for IB+ is 3000 Avios versus only 2000 for BA.

I dont have an IB+ account now but thinking about opening one. I understand the 90 days period required but also wonder if the 3000 from E-Rewards would activate the IB+ account so later I can go the IB+ > Avios.com > BA route to move the avios to BA account?
Yep. Worked for me. A transfer from erewards activated the Iberia account and I was then able to transfer to Avios.com -> BA.

I think it was a couple of weeks after the transfer that the account activated so don't expect it to immediately activate.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Rome77
The 1000 Avios have now appeared on my Iberia Plus account, but I'm still a week short of three months since opening the account. So I'll try a transfer in a week's time and will you know how I get on...
Update on the above: I am now indeed able to move Avios in and out of my Iberia Plus account. (Tried moving from Avios.com to IB and from IB to BAEC, both worked). So it appears that the transfer of 1000 Avios from my AMEX Rewards to my IB account has activated the IB account.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Continental, Emirates, BA, Virgin Atlantic, US Airways
I am trying to transfer 1000 MR points from American Express to Iberia Plus but it gives me this message

"The information needed to link your frequent travel account was either entered incorrectly or is missing. You must select a frequent travel account that is already linked or re-enter the information. If there are no accounts already linked to the Membership Rewards account for the partner(s) below and this information is not available, you will need to remove it from your cart to continue."

I can see Iberia Plus in my linked accounts but for some reason I am unable to transfer. I did read somewhere that it takes a few days for the account to be linked from Iberia Plus to American Express.

Should I just wait or call Amex/Iberia. I am looking to redeem some Avios by transferring from British Airways to Iberia for some award travel between JFK and BCN
Old Sep 9, 2012, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Phone up Amex, I'd say.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by stifle
Phone up Amex, I'd say.
I got the 1000 points showing up in Iberia and as others suggested I will wait for a few weeks before trying to transfer from BAEC to IBeria Plus.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: Cutting down :-(
Originally Posted by floyd777
I got the 1000 points showing up in Iberia and as others suggested I will wait for a few weeks before trying to transfer from BAEC to IBeria Plus.
48 hours should activate your Iberia account.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:01 pm

48 hours should activate your Iberia account.
That would be great. I am liking some of the Iberia redemptions, they seem better than BAEC
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by floyd777
That would be great. I am liking some of the Iberia redemptions, they seem better than BAEC
You pays your taxes and charges and takes your choice!

"Suffering from more customer complaints than any other full-service carrier in Europe, Iberia has developed a negative overall brand image from the general public and a reputation for poor customer service. In 2011, reflecting very low customer satisfaction ratings, Iberia was ranked #10 in a Business Insider poll for "The 10 Worst Airlines in the World."[13] Also, passengers rated Iberia a mere 3.3 out of 10 on Skytrax's website, depicting its services as poor.[14] It is also not a Skytrax Quality Approved airline, especially given that between 2007 and 2012, Skytrax's rating for Iberia's cabin crews has fluctuated between two and three stars, well below the ratings of other European airlines' cabin crews."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.