Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT - Let the banter begin - The World Cup thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT - Let the banter begin - The World Cup thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by flatbedfan
I realise this may open up a can of worms, but just from casual observation of various threads, there does seem to be, in my humble opinion, a somewhat larger proportion of men who are inclined towards, shall we say, enjoying the aesthetics of male footballers than you would expect from a general cross section of society. I'm genuinely not trying to be inflammatory or anything, just have a genuine sociological interest in why this seems to be the case with frequent flyers, or at least BA ones.
I'm old enough to admit that I enjoy more to look at beautiful people regardless of sex than ugly ones

But when it comes to sports, I don't give a damned. I even liked Boris Becker when he was in the top league

Womens beachball? There's only one reason I watch this "sports" and it's not the skill level of the players.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I do find the objectification of men in this thread most distressing.

Anyone watched any womens beach volleyball lately?
Well, I'm sorry, but you did tell us that this was the only thread for any football commentrary

I realise this may open up a can of worms, but just from casual observation of various threads, there does seem to be, in my humble opinion, a somewhat larger proportion of men who are inclined towards, shall we say, enjoying the aesthetics of male footballers than you would expect from a general cross section of society. I'm genuinely not trying to be inflammatory or anything, just have a genuine sociological interest in why this seems to be the case with frequent flyers, or at least BA ones.
The GLBT board has been described as the second most gay friendly board on FT - after the BA board
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Speaking as a card carrying member of the club of those who are so inclined, I agree with you. I have genuinely no idea why. Doe anyone have any ideas?

PS Note to husband should he be reading this: I would only enjoy said aesthetics at a range of not less than ten feet
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've always wondered the same.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
there does seem to be, in my humble opinion, a somewhat larger proportion of men who are inclined towards, shall we say, enjoying the aesthetics of male footballers than you would expect from a general cross section of society...just have a genuine sociological interest in why this seems to be the case with frequent flyers, or at least BA ones.
Remind me to double-lock the door next time I'm taking a leak at T5 GF.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 2:26 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Remind me to double-lock the door next time I'm taking a leak at T5 GF.
Oh don't worry, you wouldn't catch me in there! I'll be in the CCR - much more spacious; even art from the BA collection on the walls. Now here is a point though, why is the lavatory paper so much nicer in the CCR than in the F lavatories aboard the aeroplane? Surely BA can affors CRR paper on the flight too.

Now, back to Torres
Old Jun 4, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
Now here is a point though, why is the lavatory paper so much nicer in the CCR than in the F lavatories aboard the aeroplane? Surely BA can affors CRR paper on the flight too.
Errm, having posted here you then start a completely separate thread on the same subject 9 minutes later.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ory-paper.html
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: BA bronze
Well it seems that Ferdinand is out of the World Cup..but don't worry England have the Greco Roman wrestling champion, Carragher, to stand in.

Place your bets, how soon into a game before Carragher gets a yellow card.. 2 mins?

Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird218
Well it seems that Ferdinand is out of the World Cup..but don't worry England have the Greco Roman wrestling champion, Carragher, to stand in.
According to 'sources at Sky News' Ferdinand is OUT of the World Cup and Capello has Michael Dawson of Tottenham Hotspur on standby to join the squad as a replacement. The way they've both been playing this season I would view this as an improvement!

PS - Apparently Ferdinand's injury was caused by 'The Donkey' (Heskey). At least he's done something useful for the England squad!

Last edited by Phil the Flyer; Jun 4, 2010 at 8:55 am
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
According to 'sources at Sky News' Ferdinand is OUT of the World Cup and Capello has Michael Dawson of Tottenham Hotspur on standby to join the squad (didn't realise this was allowed) as a replacement. The way they've both been playing this season I would view this as an improvement!

PS - Apparently Ferdinand's injury was caused by The Donkey (Heskey). At least he's done something useful for the England squad!
You can replace players who are genuinely injured before the tournament starts. After that, tough.

If Ferdinand is out I assume that Gerrard takes over as Captain?

Last edited by baggageinhall; Jun 4, 2010 at 9:02 am Reason: Thought it was confirmed by a proper source, but now realise it is a Sky Source from their resident expert 'Dr Conjecture'
Old Jun 4, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: BA bronze
" Sky sources".....have you ever seen transfer deadline day on SSN? With that muppet sitting there with 132 mobile phones making out all the agents are phoning him.

As for the leaking of the England Squad, drip by drip...very poor.

Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: East Enders, Corie and Emmerdale'
Really looking forward to this Friday and then obviously the England game the day after.

Reminds me, for England's second group game versus Algeria, I'm in Guildford -- Any recomended pubs anyone? I'll even share it with a Chelsea fan if they put on an England top!

Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:53 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Anyone watched any womens beach volleyball lately?
YES

Yesterday in Amsterdam for the weekend with three mates. We had a leisurely stroll up to one of the squares (opposite end of Damrak to the station) about 11:00 and stumbled across........a womens beach volleyball competition. YES!!!

Now I can't say I had been a fan before but I definitely am now ^^ An amazing sport played by two 6 foot, scantily clad very, very fit beauties per team. Any blokes perfect sport

As a side issue, our Amsterdam weekend was memorable for one of our party who went missing for about 20 hours from midnight on Friday. We found him in a pub early evening on Saturday, wearing a black shell suit - that he does not own and did not bring with him from the UK. His own clothes are missing, but he still had his wallet and passport with him.

He had no recollection of why he was wearing a black shell suit or how he got it....but he does recall having an arm wrestle competition in a pub with a German bloke - who was wearing a blonde wig, lots of lipstick and many body piercings He also recalls this German chap was dressed in black....

It all remains a mystery to him (and us). On return to the UK his girlfriend was not amused at the story and actually slightly concerned over the 20 hours he can't account for
Old Jun 8, 2010, 5:07 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by matthewuk

It's got plenty to do with BA - both Lobengula and I are flying out to the finals in 62K. A seat many revere as one of the best on the upper deck.
That may be - but it's going to be pretty cosy with both of you in it!

Originally Posted by BA_Blade
Make that three of us (well the flying out to the finals bit - I'm not sat in 62K )
Just as well! That would be way too cosy!
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue.
Finally the day has come...

Prepare to be deafended by the sound of the vuvuzelas - have you heard them!! Sound like a swarm of bees.

The ref for the England / USA game has apparently swotted up on his English swear words - so he can understand what Mr. Rooney is saying to him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.