Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT - Let the banter begin - The World Cup thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT - Let the banter begin - The World Cup thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 8:35 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by kryten22uk
Quite funny when Spain passed the ball back to the Dutch keeper, after Holland had kicked it out to let player get treatment. Bounced over the keepers head just wide of goal. What would have happened if Spain had scored? Would they let a goal in to even the scoreline? This ever happened before?
It happened in a game in England a couple of years ago. Somebody passed it back to the keeper from about the half way line, and it bounced over his head and into the goal.

Most of the players were rolling around laughing.

The other team stood aside and let the offended team score

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by arcticfox
To see the ref being harangued by half a dozen players on nearly every decision with them arguing the toss 6 inches from his face was quite sickening, not to mention the blatent diving and professional fouls.
Yes, I agree with this. The anguish on the face of each Spanish player as his leg is brushed against with a feather would put the star of a Sophoclean tragedy to shame. I've never seen so much pounding of the grass in mock-agony in my life.

If this is what pumping silly amounts of money into the game does
FIFA is a corporation, just like any other.

EDIT - have just read this back and think I'm turning into a Daily Mail reader. Noooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Aren't we all, mate, aren't we all...
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by ajax
Yes, I agree with this. The anguish on the face of each Spanish player as his leg is brushed against with a feather would put the star of a Sophoclean tragedy to shame. I've never seen so much pounding of the grass in mock-agony in my life.
Alonso still has stud marks on his chest from that Donkey De Jong tackle

And how you can accuse Spain of play acting when Holland have Robben in their team is completely beyond me.

I'm usually very pro Holland in tournaments (Ruud van Nistelrooy was one of my favourite players ever). But, they turned the 'beautiful football' into on pitch thuggary during this tournament.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by BOH
Yep that was it. Holland scored a goal before West Germany had even touched the ball
Was it not also the case that Holland's first goal was also the first penalty awarded in a Final?

Don't understand all the flak that Webb is taking from the Dutch; Holland could very easily have been a man down at half time. If anything, Spain had more to complain about as he tried his best to keep the game together. Sorry, but if one team turns up hell bent on preventing another better team from playing their game there isn't much the referee can do about that.

Bottom line here is that the best team won and Holland disgraced themselves.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

And how you can accuse Spain of play acting when Holland have Robben in their team is completely beyond me.

I'm usually very pro Holland in tournaments (Ruud van Nistelrooy was one of my favourite players ever). But, they turned the 'beautiful football' into on pitch thuggary during this tournament.

Cheers,
Rick
Johan agrees with you

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...cruyff-holland

Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
When all is said and done I don't doubt that Spain was the better team - but what an unsatisfactory way to win a match.
What? By scoring a good goal against a team of thugs?

Webb was trying his best to keep all 22 players on the pitch - but van Bommel, De Jong and Schneider should have all been sent off in the first half. If he'd sent van Bommel off early on, I think the game would have been a lot better as the Dutch would have had to star concentrating on playing football rather than hacking down the Spanish.

Disappointing World Cup (again!).

Cheers,
Rick
Glad you agree with me.

So 14 Yellow Cards, 1 Red and 46 Fouls. Nice clean game then....

In fairness to the ref, I think he was in a no win situation last night - If he had sent 3 or four players off (as I think he could have easily done) he would have been castigated for ruining the final. He tried hard to keep 22 players on the pitch, but the Dutch (and, lets be fair, the Spanish to an extent) took the p!ss. Yes, there were a few ropey decisions - we only really know that thanks to ultra-slow motion replays from half a dozen angles - but I think they balanced each other out.

I have to say, though, I'm glad the arctic cubs didn't see the match. If that is supposed to be the pinnacle of footballing talent, played by those who would make out they are "role models", then it is a sad reflection on how low the game has gone. To see the ref being harangued by half a dozen players on nearly every decision with them arguing the toss 6 inches from his face was quite sickening, not to mention the blatent diving and professional fouls. If this is what pumping silly amounts of money into the game does, I only hope Rugby doesn't follow suit too quick. What was the quote about the difference beween Rugby & Football again - "one is a gentleman's game played by hooligans and the other a hooligan's game played by gentleman"?
^ Fully support this assessment.

Truly embarrassing.

I will repeat what I have said before: Holland was way out of line in the thuggery stakes. But that does not mean that Spain were not diving for everything they were worth. In fact, it looked to me like they saw how badly the Dutch were going to annoy the ref and then played every "foul" for what it was worth. There were occasions when the cameras caught Iniesta "doubled over" in agony and then grinning when he looked up and saw they got the free kick. (No Ocars for him - should have stayed in character until the cameras were off him.)
Old Jul 12, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: GGL
Agreed
Old Jul 13, 2010, 1:56 am

Oh, it was a sickening foul. But just because some of the Dutch players committed atrociously bad fouls some of the time does not mean that all of the Dutch players committed atrociously bad fouls all of the time.

See above.

Yes, I agree. The severity of some of the fouls committed by some of the Dutch players was appalling, no doubt. But that doesn't mean that every time the wind blew in a certain direction it should have caused the untold agony to the Spanish players which it appeared to have done.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:21 am

Programs: BA BD SA
My favourite moment was when a Spanish player, in a fit of pique at not getting a free kick for his diving efforts, just gratuitously tripped up his opponent - when neither were even involved in play at that moment and he thought the refs weren't watching.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
My favourite moment was when a Spanish player, in a fit of pique at not getting a free kick for his diving efforts, just gratuitously tripped up his opponent - when neither were even involved in play at that moment and he thought the refs weren't watching.
Perhaps the refs weren't watching, but if there's one game where everyone else, and every camera in the world, is going to be watching everything, it's the bloomin' World Cup final.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.