Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT - Let the banter begin - The World Cup thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT - Let the banter begin - The World Cup thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:41 pm

Programs: BAEC, HH, PC
Congratulations Spain, worthy winners.

For me the other winner tonight was South Africa. They have proved everyone wrong by hosting a well organised, safe and memorable tournament. I spent a fantastic 2 weeks out there and I really hope that they have a lasting legacy from the games.

As a world cup the football has not been memorable but maybe I'm just a bitter Englishman
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by Marwanie
Wow, terrible referee! Should have been a corner first of all and then a foul before the goal.
Woeful.

Originally Posted by henkybaby
Yeah... I am somewhat shamed by the karate tactics...
They did rather play like thugs for a while. On the other hand Iniesta must be a contender for an Olympic medal - in diving! You can just blow that chap just over with a sneeze, it seems.

When all is said and done I don't doubt that Spain was the better team - but what an unsatisfactory way to win a match. The losers' match yesterday was infinitely more entertaining.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:44 pm

I was rooting for Holland, so congratulations to New Zealand it is.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 3:58 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by phillipas
Yes, a future quiz question if there was ever one. Along with what was so unusual about the first Holland goal in the 1974 WCF? We had this one in our monthly pub quiz last week.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
SPAIN and PAUL the OCTOPUS

for World Champion!!

and thanks for the British (England, Scottland, Wales, Northern Ireland, IoM, Jersey, Guernsey, Gibraltar) hospitality. I really enjoyed being a guest here!!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
SPAIN and PAUL the OCTOPUS

for World Champion!!

and thanks for the British (England, Scottland, Wales, Northern Ireland, IoM, Jersey, Guernsey, Gibraltar) hospitality. I really enjoyed being a guest here!!
Hi,

Yes, Well done to Paul!^

8 for 8 picks in the world cup^

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 11, 2010, 4:16 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
hen all is said and done I don't doubt that Spain was the better team - but what an unsatisfactory way to win a match.
What? By scoring a good goal against a team of thugs?

Webb was trying his best to keep all 22 players on the pitch - but van Bommel, De Jong and Schneider should have all been sent off in the first half. If he'd sent van Bommel off early on, I think the game would have been a lot better as the Dutch would have had to star concentrating on playing football rather than hacking down the Spanish.

Disappointing World Cup (again!).

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jul 11, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by BA or bust
So what do you call Harry Kewell of Australia then Lobengula? He had a red card for handball (against Ghana) in this World Cup as well.

Why are you not calling Harry Kewell and all the Australians cheaters?

IMO it was a football incident. It should not detract from the fact that Uruguay came out the best of the South American teams despite being a tiny little country. And I hope that Forlan gets player of the tourament since he was THE major reason for Uruguay's success this year. ^

All I can say is roll on 2014... where I would love to see Uruguay repeat 1950 and beat Brazil again in the final.

P.S. I agree with you about Holland, I will be supporting them tonight.
Got my wish!

World Cup 2010: Diego Forlan collects Golden Ball award

Forlan put in some tremendous displays for Uruguay

Uruguay striker Diego Forlan was named the winner of the Golden Ball as the best player of the World Cup.

The Atletico Madrid forward, 31, scored five goals and was a major influence as his team unexpectedly reached the semi-finals in South Africa.

Thomas Mueller, who also scored five times, won the Golden Boot for most goals - as he provided three assists.

The German thus beat Forlan, Spain's David Villa and Wesley Sneijder of the Netherlands to the coveted prize.

Rising star Mueller, 20, was also named by Fifa as the best young player of the tournament.

The Bayern Munich ace saw off Mexico's Giovani Dos Santos and Ghana's Andre Ayew for the prize.

Forlan finished top of a Fifa shortlist for his award following a vote by international media.

The former Manchester United player polled 23.4% of the vote, narrowly beating Dutch playmaker Wesley Sneijder - second with 21.8% - while Villa was third.

Source BBC News

Well done to Spain and tsk tsk to Holland who sadly played in a rather unsportsmanlike way...
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by henkybaby
People who blow f.u.f.u.zelas should be imprisoned. Parents who give their children f.u.f.u.zelas (like my next door neighbours) should be shot.

Personally I think they are great. No need to guess whether a TV has the world cup on, even from a reasonable distance - hearing the drone means yes, absence means no.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 7:57 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by phillipas
Woohoo only undefeated team.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Goodbye from the Dutch squad....

Old Jul 12, 2010, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue.
Originally Posted by BOH
Yes, a future quiz question if there was ever one. Along with what was so unusual about the first Holland goal in the 1974 WCF? We had this one in our monthly pub quiz last week.

Was is Germany did not touch the ball?

Surely one quiz question for the future is about the Boateng brothers - first time two brothers have playing for two different countries in a world cup.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:15 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by blawson
Was is Germany did not touch the ball?

Surely one quiz question for the future is about the Boateng brothers - first time two brothers have playing for two different countries in a world cup.
Yep that was it. Holland scored a goal before West Germany had even touched the ball
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:43 am

Quite funny when Spain passed the ball back to the Dutch keeper, after Holland had kicked it out to let player get treatment. Bounced over the keepers head just wide of goal. What would have happened if Spain had scored? Would they let a goal in to even the scoreline? This ever happened before?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:51 am

Location: Wales (Home base), Germany (Work base) & around the world!
Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, Priority Club Gold
So 14 Yellow Cards, 1 Red and 46 Fouls. Nice clean game then....

In fairness to the ref, I think he was in a no win situation last night - If he had sent 3 or four players off (as I think he could have easily done) he would have been castigated for ruining the final. He tried hard to keep 22 players on the pitch, but the Dutch (and, lets be fair, the Spanish to an extent) took the p!ss. Yes, there were a few ropey decisions - we only really know that thanks to ultra-slow motion replays from half a dozen angles - but I think they balanced each other out.

I have to say, though, I'm glad the arctic cubs didn't see the match. If that is supposed to be the pinnacle of footballing talent, played by those who would make out they are "role models", then it is a sad reflection on how low the game has gone. To see the ref being harangued by half a dozen players on nearly every decision with them arguing the toss 6 inches from his face was quite sickening, not to mention the blatent diving and professional fouls. If this is what pumping silly amounts of money into the game does, I only hope Rugby doesn't follow suit too quick. What was the quote about the difference beween Rugby & Football again - "one is a gentleman's game played by hooligans and the other a hooligan's game played by gentleman"?

EDIT - have just read this back and think I'm turning into a Daily Mail reader. Noooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.