Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT - Let the banter begin - The World Cup thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT - Let the banter begin - The World Cup thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 5:49 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
So when does the plane leave taking the Scotland team to South Africa?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Ok, since we have to have a thread on it, let's discuss the only thing of interest in the World Cup.

Who has the cutest team this year? Any teams I should be looking at? No Beckham and Shrek present means it certainly isn't England!
Sounds like your interest in football is the same as mine!

The Brazilians usually have some hunks so I may just look in when they're playing. I'll miss Beckham too - those strong, muscular thighs ....... yummy!! And no Shrek doesn't do it for me either, what does Colleen see in him. Saw her at LGW recently and she's really pretty

Let me know if you see any legs worth looking at
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:09 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Is there a web site that lists when the individual teams are playing? For example I want to know when Spain is playing.

Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by auh2o
Is there a web site that lists when the individual teams are playing? For example I want to know when Spain is playing.

Thanks.
World Cup Group G

Wikipedia is your friend. Spain are in Group G. The link has the details of all of the games in that group.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 7:13 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
World Cup Group G

Wikipedia is your friend. Spain are in Group G. The link has the details of all of the games in that group.
Sweet! I get my first BA First Class Transatlantic flights and get to watch Chile vs Spain from Sitges.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by auh2o
Sweet! I get my first BA First Class Transatlantic flights and get to watch Chile vs Spain from Sitges.
Chile are the team that could surprise everyone. ^
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:00 pm

North vs South

Of course, the "draw" has been cunningly arranged so that the only way North and South Korea can meet each other is if they both make the final.
Could make for an interesting game, though. Or the start of WWIII
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:50 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Gold, Accor Gold
I was surprised that Benson & Hedges didn't make the final squad.

P.S. don't follow the link if you are offended by swearing - there's some very strong bad language further down the page....

Last edited by flyingbee; Jun 3, 2010 at 12:10 am Reason: To add parental advisory warning!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:53 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Gold, Accor Gold
Now that I have booked to be on holiday without a TV on the day of the final, by the theory of sod's law, the chances of England reaching the final are now infinitely higher than they were, despite the 'quality' squad we've sent out there.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:24 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by flyingbee
Now that I have booked to be on holiday without a TV on the day of the final, by the theory of sod's law, the chances of England reaching the final are now infinitely higher than they were, despite the 'quality' squad we've sent out there.
Thanks to a friend getting married in Costa Rica, I will be flying from SJO-MIA during the final.

My own poor planning meant that I missed England v Portugal in 2006. We lost on penalties as I stood in a queue at immigration at JFK. There was a TV in the immigration hall but it was tuned to CNN who seemed blissfully ignorant as to the World Cup. I risked the 'no phones in the immigration hall' rule and received news of each penalty by text.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:31 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by flatbedfan
Zamora instead of Crouch.
Despite him being on crutches after his operation? I didn't realise Crouch was that bad.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Speedbird218
Will be great to see one of the African teams do well.
Ivory Coast or Ghana possibly? Agree it would be good to see them progress.

My England prediction. First in group with a didgy first match against US. Easy second round match and then out on penalties in the quarters. In other words the same-old same-old.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue.
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
And no Shrek doesn't do it for me either, what does Colleen see in him. Saw her at LGW recently and she's really pretty

A very impressive sized wallet perhaps ;-)

My prediction for world cup shock - Argentina out in the group stages.

The US and Australian will to win should result in them getting further than expected. At least one African team to reach the semi finals.

Germany always perform when it matters.

England - who knows - depends which team turn up - in theory they have the players to do it - but they blow so hot and cold I doubt they can do it when it really matters. I was watching the 1990 clips on the BBC - that is when England had a really good team - the likes of Gazza, Butcher, Platt, Lineker, Pearce, Shilton, Robson - what would they not do for any one of these players now.

I am predicting a win for Spain.

Going by past experience at my predictions - Spain will go out in the 1st stage and Argentina will be taking the trophy home....
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by blawson
I was watching the 1990 clips on the BBC - that is when England had a really good team - the likes of Gazza, Butcher, Platt, Lineker, Pearce, Shilton, Robson - what would they not do for any one of these players now.
Everyone forgets how bad England were in 1990!! Sure they turned up against West Germany in the semi-final, and for spells against Cameroon. But as for the Belguim match, they were played off the park, and dont even get me started on the group stage matches! In addition the media (and most of the country) was desperate to get rid of Bobby Robson!

RIP Uncle Bob.

As for the squad, Im struggling to 'like' this bunch of players and relate to them in anyway, unlike the 1990 team which had it's characters and players of true world class quality. I am no longer in awe...I must be getting old. Hmmph.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:51 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
England team board VS

What a shame this is, not flying out on BA any more

Its like the PM using VS as well. Wonder if Cameron will change back to BA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.