Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seating Queries: Euro Traveller/UK Domestic

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seating Queries: Euro Traveller/UK Domestic

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 5:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by nobbyclark
Depends how quickly you want to get off and how much you value leg room. Row 27 has loads of room, especially on the wing sides. Row 1 will probably allow you to exit the plane quicker when it lands. Unless, as happened to me a couple of weeks ago, the main door gets stuck closed and you have to exit via the rear door, in which case my choice of Row 27 gave me double prizes.
Thank you for that nobbyclark. I think I may just stay in the front cabin for a quick exit and fingers crossed when the full seatmap opens up for all there will be a window seat available which I much prefer. I believe this cabin also has a 34 inch seat pitch (I think) which is more than ample but if not the 31" will be fine for such a short trip.

Cheers.

Pete
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:02 pm
Formerly known as Tim Farrell

Exit Row/Best Seat on A319 (Domestic)

Hi - new poster here but frequent lurker

I'm flying GLA-LHR in June (and back later that month) to connect to a flight to SFO and have pre-selected seats in row 9 on both flights.

According to the BA Seat Map, both flights are on A319s so I have checked Seat Guru & Seat Expert, as well as researching previous posts on here - and so the general consensus seems to be that rows 8 & 9 are pretty good, esp row 9.

However, the seat selection page seems to differ from this. On the outward flight the exit rows are 10 & 11 whereas on the return flight, row 9 is described as the exit row (with 9D looking particularly attractive as there seems to be no 8D??)

I'd be really grateful for any advice on the best seats to select to maximise legroom. If I'm misreading or misunderstanding any of the info too it would be great to be corrected...

I've uploaded screenshots below so you can see what I'm seeing...

Outbound:-

Inbound:-

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
~ I would guess that the return journey is on an ex BMI bird. Outbound config looks more like an A320 even though it says A319......

I would just book a seat as far forward as possible. YMMV.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Tim Farrell
I'd be really grateful for any advice on the best seats to select to maximise legroom. If I'm misreading or misunderstanding any of the info too it would be great to be corrected...
I would try to get a seat as far forward as possible, but a row or 2 behind the first row (to guarantee overhead baggage space, as the crew tend to take the space above row 1 for themselves). On Domestics, I always try to get 3C everytime (I get it most of the time) as it is the best balance of being far forward, having overhead baggage space and an aisle seat.

For only an hours flight, I don't think seat choice is much of an issue, but as I idle away many hours a month on Domestic services, I have had the opportunity to overthink my strategy to seating choice

I would never go so far back as row 8/9, as its to far away to make a swift exit
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome Tim

Originally Posted by Tim Farrell
Hi - new poster here but frequent lurker
Greetings Tim Farrell, welcome to FlyerTalk and to the BAEC forum. May you continue to participate in this font on knowledge, it is good to see new faces, so welcome on board. If this is your real name you may want to consider changing your screen name (or indeed your real name).

Now I agree that MMB shows these as Airbus 319, but according to the current timetable they are both Airbus 320s. The first plan matches the A320 more than A319, the second, just to confuse everyone, looks like a A321.

Row 9 has more space on A319 (but only a bit). Row 8s are great on A321, row 11 is what you want for A320. There is extra space on all of these, but the A320 "extra" is not that massive. More to do with row 10 not being able to recline, though that's a little unlikely on GLA day time sectors.

Now the trouble is that on that route the equipment change potential is huge, including on the day, and since it's a very short flight I wouldn't worry too much about any of this. Life is too short. In your shoes I would get as near to the front as possible, row 1 has the most chance of not being changed and having a bit of leg room!
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
On A319, A320 and A321 domestics I always go for row 1, 2, 3, seats D or F.

Row 1 has a bit more leg space but if you like to stretch your legs under the seat in front or have two carry on bags it might not be for you. I have also had two rather embarrassing incidents involving a plastic cup of beer and an arm rest on hinges in row 1.

Row 2 and 3 also has a bit more leg space and the ability to put a small bag under the seat in front. They also have the benefit of being at the front of the plane for a quick escape. You will find extra leg space up to row 8 / 9 which are convertible ET and CE seats when the plane is in a European short haul config.

I tend to find seats A & C rows 1 - 9 a bit hit and miss as they are sometimes not adjusted properly from the previous flight and you may get strange gaps between seats or misaligned arm rests.

If you have to choose a middle seat, 1D is best. Never choose a B seat between rows 1 to 9 as these, not properly adjusted from CE configuration can be quite narrow.

I wouldn't choose the exit seats unless the front of the plane is mainly full on a domestic. There is no curtain moving issue with these and they flights are short enough to negate benefits such as easy exit for the toilets.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
We are currently assigned seats 4A/C in CE on a A319 LHR-BRU. In MMB, seats 3D/F are now available. There seem to be differences of opinion here.

Should we move to 3D/F or stay where we are in 4A/C?

Or, in the bigger scheme of things does it really not matter?

Cheers
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I don't think there's much difference in CE seating. Slightly more room in rows 1 and 2 if bassinet/wall in front of you and sometimes they don't compress the middle seats.

As for ET or Domestic, I'm not generally in a rush, so if an exit row is available, I'll go for that even though at 5ft7, the extra legroom over the other rows and most of CE doesn't really make too much difference. Most people seem to wait for the row in front before moving forward as well although I'm sure it's a free-for-all on some flights!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
I don't think there's much difference in CE seating. Slightly more room in rows 1 and 2 if bassinet/wall in front of you and sometimes they don't compress the middle seats.

As for ET or Domestic, I'm not generally in a rush, so if an exit row is available, I'll go for that even though at 5ft7, the extra legroom over the other rows and most of CE doesn't really make too much difference. Most people seem to wait for the row in front before moving forward as well although I'm sure it's a free-for-all on some flights!
Ok thanks xenole. Some people seem to favour the left hand side and others the right hand side and I just wasn't sure whether there was any real difference (e.g. width etc).
Old Jan 25, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
On my LHR-AMS on a 767 today, lots of sun hitting the left hand side of the plane for a while so that might mean blinds down.
The return on a smaller plane (Airbus A319?) seemed a little more cramped in the exit rows and it could be me, but the seats seat less "chunky".

Some people prefer a side because of the position of the sun - I pick on what may give the best views.

The width seems to be dependent on whether the seats are usually in CE positions i.e. narrow centre or they've just increased the cabin.
I've had narrow seats in ET in exits rows yet the last couple of flights have been fulled size.

Last edited by xenole; Jan 25, 2013 at 6:56 am
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
What's the deal with seat blocking on domestics? I booked LHR-EDI for June; on the outbound A320 the furthest forward I could get is a middle seat in row 6 and on the return on a 767, row 9. I've never had trouble booking the front few rows before, but not sure I've flown domestic since dropping to silver. Are they blocked for silver but not gold or have they just been selected?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
What's the deal with seat blocking on domestics? I booked LHR-EDI for June; on the outbound A320 the furthest forward I could get is a middle seat in row 6 and on the return on a 767, row 9. I've never had trouble booking the front few rows before, but not sure I've flown domestic since dropping to silver. Are they blocked for silver but not gold or have they just been selected?
Goldies get access to all seats on Domestics, with rows 1-5 being unavailable to Silvers (until T-3days). Silvers can choose from row 6 back. That being said, I have seen on occasion (rarely) only rows 1-4 blocked for Golds only. On the 767, it is as you say blocked to Row 9.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Great - thanks for the info. Has that always been the case? I seem to remember selecting rows 1-4 in advance in the past (before I was gold), but that's going back 4 years or so.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by gustavmahler
Great - thanks for the info. Has that always been the case? I seem to remember selecting rows 1-4 in advance in the past (before I was gold), but that's going back 4 years or so.
It certainly has been the case for at least 2-3 years, I'm sure someone with a better memory than me will be along to confirm
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I'm in 3E for a flight to EDI tomorrow night. Not my normal seat but it looks like the flight is being operated by a 3-class 767. Anyone on BA1435 on Friday morning will also get the same plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.