Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Erikderek_SWE
Sorry my bad, I'll be picking up the car at MCO.

EK
It’ll be 7 seats. 2-3-2 arrangement, and that last row of two are better for kids or small adults. Usually an Explorer, or maybe a Ford Flex.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:03 am

Quick review on a 2019 Kia Optima LX base model that I got for a mini-lease.

Interior: Very well laid out with high quality screens, materials, and switchgear. Good amount of space. Car feels well put together and refined.
Powertrain: No complaints here. Responsive and quick (0-60 in 7.5s) but the engine is quite rough sounding.
Safety/Tech: Android Auto/Carplay standard. Lane keeping assist and blind spot standard BUT beware! adaptive cruise is not.
Ride: Good steering, but body roll is high and you feel the imperfections in the road. VERY high road noise from the tires (Nexen NPriz AH8) at highway speeds

Overall: Happy with the car, would take it over a Malibu or Passat because of the better interior and powertrain. Would probably go with the Camry next time for adaptive cruise, better ride quality, and lower road noise despite it lacking Android Auto/Carplay.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars
Original Poster

Was trying to use the app for a swap last week and found that they categorize the Passat as Premium () and Fusion Hybrid as Full-Size. Before I update the sticky post at the top, I'll wait to see if anyone else experiences that or if it was a one-off by a rogue location.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Was trying to use the app for a swap last week and found that they categorize the Passat as Premium () and Fusion Hybrid as Full-Size. Before I update the sticky post at the top, I'll wait to see if anyone else experiences that or if it was a one-off by a rogue location.
Not sure about other locations, but all the Passats at SEA were R-Line trim with adaptive cruise, handsfree trunk, moonroof, big wheels, and LED headlights. Perhaps the equipment load is why they've considered it premium?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was surprised to get a Ford Flex Limited on a FCAR reservation this week. I had no idea rental car companies still had these things, or that they ever had actually. It had 37,000 miles on it and was thoroughly unpleasant to drive.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
A little confused and hoping someone can help me out. Trying to book a car at YVR for a ski trip with the family (me, wife, 2 early teen/tween girls + 1 board/3 skis + luggage).

Avis page with car options shows Full Size Class E example of Impala, rather than standard class E Malibu. Also shows Class L Full Size SUV example of Acadia. In the wiki, Acadia is Class S Standard Elite SUV and L is premium SUV (e.g. Suburban).

Not sure how frequently Avis changes categories and how consistent it is from airport to airport. Anyone have experiences at YVR?

Side question: Any experiences with full size sedans vs. SUVs? I am not averse to paying more for the SUV, as I can use points to blunt the cost, but experiences would be helpful in making the decision. Thanks.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:35 pm

Hi
I have a group H car booked for Tampa in April.
Being a Brit I have a very limited knowledge of the US cars in that category.
Am I likely to get a choice, and if so, what would people recommend?

There are only 2 of us so space isn’t important.
I’d like something as comfortable/luxury as possible, and a decent sound system would be a bonus.

Thanks
Joonydell likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:03 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
I just reserved a Malibu at an off airport location. What are some possible cars I could receive?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:47 am

Avis Boston

Hi everyone!
I'm planning to rent with Avis in Boston in August (Avis Preferred). I will stay for a few days days in Charlestown before taking the car. I wanted to know if I would have a better choice of cars at the Logan Center or if I would be better off going to a center downtown (Backbay most likely) knowing that I would take the car in the morning. Thanks for your advice.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chonchon35
Hi everyone!
I'm planning to rent with Avis in Boston in August (Avis Preferred). I will stay for a few days days in Charlestown before taking the car. I wanted to know if I would have a better choice of cars at the Logan Center or if I would be better off going to a center downtown (Backbay most likely) knowing that I would take the car in the morning. Thanks for your advice.
An airport would have much better selection as they should have significantly more cars.

Originally Posted by jackvogt
I just reserved a Malibu at an off airport location. What are some possible cars I could receive?
Have a look at Class E in the Wiki post.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Marriott, Wyndham, Choice Rewards, IHG One, SWA RR, JetBlue TB, Enterprise +, Alamo Insider, Avis PC
I just reserved an Intermediate SUV with Avis at JFK. I also included the GPS in the rental. Even though the website says it is a Ford Escape or similar, what SUV normally is available in that class at JFK?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Ejog
Hi
I have a group H car booked for Tampa in April.
Being a Brit I have a very limited knowledge of the US cars in that category.
Am I likely to get a choice, and if so, what would people recommend?

There are only 2 of us so space isn’t important.
I’d like something as comfortable/luxury as possible, and a decent sound system would be a bonus.

Thanks
Bump
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Bump
Group H is "Luxury". In my market (San Francisco) that usually means either a Volvo S90 or a Chrysler 300. I quite like the 300s (I'm also a Brit, but I've lived here for 14 years now) as they are rear wheel drive and unusually for rentals come nicely specified usually in "S" trim. The S90s are comfortable and most of the ones I've had from Hertz have had the semi autonomous Pilot Assist that makes freeway driving a breeze.

I've never seen either car with the upgraded audio on the Hertz lot which is a shame, especially with the S90 as the Bowers & Wilkins is one of the finest audio systems I've ever heard in a car. That said the standard fit systems on both cars seemed decent.
Ejog likes this.

Last edited by tony2x; Mar 19, 2019 at 3:44 am Reason: Adding more detail.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:30 am

Thanks.
I’ve heard the B&W system in the S90 is spectacular.
I think it’s a pretty costly option though, so probably unlikely to find it on a rental.
I did hear the Kia 900 is a better car than people expect, but I guess I’ll have to wait & see what’s there.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks.
I’ve heard the B&W system in the S90 is spectacular.
I think it’s a pretty costly option though, so probably unlikely to find it on a rental.
I did hear the Kia 900 is a better car than people expect, but I guess I’ll have to wait & see what’s there.
Unfortunately, I've only seen 1 S90 on an Avis lot (and I took it). The XC90 is relatively common, though, and a nice ride. Not as fun as the S but still no complaints if you can land one.

For the K900: When it first came to the US in ~2014, Avis had a handful and it's one of the best cars I've ever driven. I took it every time I could find it. I didn't push it to it's full potential, but I'd take that over a 7 Series, E Class, or anything else that's seen on Avis lots without thinking twice. I'm hopeful to see one of the new ones on a rental lot soon.
Ejog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.