FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak-420/)
-   -   Avis Discount Codes - Put AWD codes in this thread only (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/avis-preferred-budget-fastbreak/344152-avis-discount-codes-put-awd-codes-thread-only.html)

Auto Enthusiast Jul 28, 2021 4:23 pm

I guess you can't wait to do ex-MCO until a future year when the FL driveout may return?

chris_grr Jul 28, 2021 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast (Post 33446027)
I guess you can't wait to do ex-MCO until a future year when the FL driveout may return?

This is actually a Jan 2022 rental. I guess I need to just keep checking.
At these prices i'd rather buy a used Avis car in Florida and sell it for more in Michigan. I was just playing around today with numbers and I was getting some quotes from Carmax that were about equal or higher than the cost of the Avis used cars in Florida.

IAHtraveler Jul 28, 2021 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by chris_grr (Post 33446110)
At these prices i'd rather buy a used Avis car in Florida and sell it for more in Michigan.

For an $800 rental, you'd rather go through the hassle of buying/insuring/registering/paying tax on a car, then re-selling it? Even under today's circumstances, I think it'd be hard to guarantee you'd be able to break even on that, let alone make a profit.

DELee Jul 28, 2021 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by chris_grr (Post 33446110)
This is actually a Jan 2022 rental. I guess I need to just keep checking.
At these prices i'd rather buy a used Avis car in Florida and sell it for more in Michigan. I was just playing around today with numbers and I was getting some quotes from Carmax that were about equal or higher than the cost of the Avis used cars in Florida.

Even importing cars into MI, you can make money? Wow, they used to build them there...

David

chris_grr Jul 29, 2021 6:05 am

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler (Post 33446673)
For an $800 rental, you'd rather go through the hassle of buying/insuring/registering/paying tax on a car, then re-selling it? Even under today's circumstances, I think it'd be hard to guarantee you'd be able to break even on that, let alone make a profit.

Yeah its more of a theoretical exercise. I will be in the market for at least one new car in the next year or so, and buying a rust-free Florida car is definitely an option for us. I am sure by January the used car market will be different than it is now anyways so flipping cars for profit is probably not a sustainable enterprise.

strickerj Jul 29, 2021 7:59 am

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 33446689)
Even importing cars into MI, you can make money? Wow, they used to build them there...

David

Yeah but in 3 years in the Midwest, they turn to rust. ;)

JCFans Jul 29, 2021 9:45 pm

Hey guys Avis newb here. I'm a member of Avis Preferred. How do I go "drive and go" at airport locations? Thank you.

AutoSlash Jul 30, 2021 6:00 am

Originally Posted by JCFans (Post 33449627)
Hey guys Avis newb here. I'm a member of Avis Preferred. How do I go "drive and go" at airport locations? Thank you.

To use Avis Select and Go you need 3 things:
  • Be enrolled at an Avis Preferred member (sounds like you're good there)
  • Rent from one of the 50 airport locations in the US/CA that supports the service
  • Reserve an intermediate car or better
Avis will typically assign you a vehicle, but you can use their app to select an alternate. Some locations have a Select & Go area where you can grab anything from there, but the service overall (both app choices and physical S&G section) at most locations is very meh and pales in comparison to both National Emerald Aisle (the best) and Hertz Ultimate Choice (not as good as National but still far better than Avis in most cases).

M B Jul 30, 2021 6:07 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash (Post 33450209)
To use Avis Select and Go you need 3 things:
  • Be enrolled at an Avis Preferred member (sounds like you're good there)
  • Rent from one of the 50 airport locations in the US/CA that supports the service
  • Reserve an intermediate car or better
Avis will typically assign you a vehicle, but you can use their app to select an alternate. Some locations have a Select & Go area where you can grab anything from there, but the service overall (both app choices and physical S&G section) at most locations is very meh and pales in comparison to both National Emerald Aisle (the best) and Hertz Ultimate Choice (not as good as National but still far better than Avis in most cases).

Just an FYI, because there has been shortage of cars across most rental companies/locations the select and go may or may not be available. The reason I mention this because last week I had to pick up a car at Calgary which had select and go, but the app was not letting me do that. Kept giving me an error that there are no cars available. I had to go to the counter and when I asked the agent he said that there were not enough cars to allow preferred (preferred plus in my case) to select any car they want. This could be a possibility across locations.

JCFans Jul 30, 2021 7:48 am

Originally Posted by M B (Post 33450223)
Just an FYI, because there has been shortage of cars across most rental companies/locations the select and go may or may not be available. The reason I mention this because last week I had to pick up a car at Calgary which had select and go, but the app was not letting me do that. Kept giving me an error that there are no cars available. I had to go to the counter and when I asked the agent he said that there were not enough cars to allow preferred (preferred plus in my case) to select any car they want. This could be a possibility across locations.

Thanks, AutoSlash and MB. And I will just happen to pickup the car at YYC!!!! So I assume YYC is one of the Select&Go locations. My rental will be in October and I selected standard SUV to go up and down the mountains with ease. MB, did you use a corp AWD and did they verify ID? My first time using a corp AWD at YYC so I need some data points. Thank you.

M B Jul 30, 2021 8:07 am

Originally Posted by JCFans (Post 33450473)
Thanks, AutoSlash and MB. And I will just happen to pickup the car at YYC!!!! So I assume YYC is one of the Select&Go locations. My rental will be in October and I selected standard SUV to go up and down the mountains with ease. MB, did you use a corp AWD and did they verify ID? My first time using a corp AWD at YYC so I need some data points. Thank you.

In my case, They did not verify my ID. YMMV. Hopefully in October, the car shortages are sorted out.

JCFans Jul 30, 2021 8:16 am

Originally Posted by M B (Post 33450526)
In my case, They did not verify my ID. YMMV. Hopefully in October, the car shortages are sorted out.

May I ask what corp AWD you used? Also how do I activate this Select&Go -- is there a checkbox from the app or the website? Or something else? Drawing a blank at my first time doing this.

SudOvest Jul 30, 2021 8:56 am

Is it possible to remove deloitte collision coverage after the rental has started? I had one rental earlier this month and they allowed me to remove the coverage-it was a small location and it was a paper contract. I prefer using my Chase sapphire insurance. I just picked up a car yesterday at an airport and the contract was digital and I was told I couldn't remove the included Deloitte coverage, but I was able to do so earlier this month on the paper contract by just putting an x on refuse even though there was a prefilled x on accept. Any advice?

JCFans Aug 1, 2021 6:25 am

Any experience / data points at YQB airport? If they verify ID. Thank you.

chips5 Aug 4, 2021 8:59 am

Avis Fail

Hi all,

I used the code B270XXX to rent a car in Spain. When making the reservation, I was very surprised by the very low price, and the Avis website showed that the amount to pay in case of damage or stealing was 0€.

At the counter, everything was great, no questions about the AWD, until I see that the rate did not include any insurance at all! On the contract, it is written that I was fully responsible for…72,580€…the entire value of the car ! I asked for the price of the insurance, and it was more than 120€/day!

So be aware, B270XXX does not work in Spain…