Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SingaporeDon
Originally Posted by Moderator2
Every forum on Flyertalk has a personality. A forum gains a personality through user input over time, and Lifemiles is a very definitive example of how users have developed a unique community.

While Flyertalk boards actively encourage sharing of info, the Lifemiles community has developed and thrived via obscuring of certain data elements. It may not be easy for new participants to break through the codes and gain knowledge of the program's quirks, but the overall board community has adopted this unique approach. And frankly, that is not going to change overnight.

If a FT member wants to participate on this board, then they will need to respect other users. Hence, posts that run counter to this community's standards, will be removed.
Region definitions
C1 North America
C1.5 Caribbean, Bermuda
C2 Europe
C2.5 Middle East
C3 Asia
C4 South America
C5 Africa
C6 Oceania

2X, 3X: in the context of this LifeMiles thread, 2X and 3X refer to any 2nd and 3rd legs of a one-way award ticket.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

LifeMiles' old Star Alliance Award Chart (before Oct 15 2014) // Table of changes

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An easily-seen example is travel on Copa from LAX to SJU (via PTY).

Understand Cabotage: Departing country 1, transiting country 2, returning to country 1 (no stopping) *is* cabotage (example: depart JFK, connect in YYZ to return to ORD, or depart Miami, connect in Bogota, return to San Francisco). On the other hand, departing country 1, going to completely unrelated country 2, and ending up in country 3, is not cabotage. So if you fly JFK-JNB-ZRH, for instance, this is completely not cabotage.

Availability: Seeing availability for *A award seats elsewhere is no guarantee they are accessible on Lifemiles. For instance award space shown on ANA often is not accessible on Lifemiles. Similarly, finding award space on single legs doesn't mean you'll get award space on the combined itinerary. And no, there is no way to overcome that.

Screenshot Method
Send email to [email protected] with attached screenshots on Lifemiles website of each individual leg showing availability. Also, screenshot showing no availability as one booking. Include passenger names, gender and DOB and copy of passenger passport. They will either call you for payment or email the itinerary and give you 3 days to call up and make payment by CC.

NOTE: This previous thread has been closed; it can be read here LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it)
Print Wikipost

LM F and J routes (and the occasional trick-it) Rebooted v2.0

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Reading between the lines you can book a mixed class via screenshot if you use points for the higher (highest) class on all legs.
What you can't do is a screenshot booking with mixed class and pay mixed class points as per the booking engine functionality.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 11:51 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by jmoorfoot
I had 3 attempts to get a MEL-RNO award with the screenshot message in the last week. I finally got the following (which is the 1st response I could understand):
Greetings Mr. jmoorfoot.

We can assist you with a manual booking procedure but only when you send us screenshots of the flights available on the same cabin. Additionally, it will be required that you send us the color scanned image of the passengers' passports.

We appreciate your valuable time and look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

I was able to get the redemption when I dropped the LAX-RNO leg as it was only available in Y.
Did you attempt to book the Y class as a J redemption or a Y redemption?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:31 pm

Did they decided to start blocking OZ F and J as well???
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Guvner067
Did you attempt to book the Y class as a J redemption or a Y redemption?
J. The leg from ICN-RNO showed as mixed on the website, and it was only the final section (LAX-RNO) which was in Y. It appears that as is typical with LifeMiles, that the response depends on which agent you get. All my responses for this redemption came from the same person.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:45 am
wdc

is it possible to book from C1 to C6 and transit through both South Asia and North Asia? The website wont display the flights I want no matter what I try
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by wdc
is it possible to book from C1 to C6 and transit through both South Asia and North Asia? The website wont display the flights I want no matter what I try
Yes.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:21 pm
wdc

emailed in a screenshot of the individual legs only to be told that they wont book mixed class itineraries unless the website displays it. This definitely was not the case a couple of weeks ago. any idea what changed?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:28 pm

I had the same issue. The last leg I wanted is flown by a Y only plane, so I had to drop it from my itinerary. It's a real PITA, as I can book a separate ticket for that leg, but then get hit with baggage charges.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 6:57 am

No tricks, straightforward. I am searching for very simple itineraries in C on TK, from USA to continental Europe. LM rarely will seem to put a route together of two segments transiting in IST, even if all segments are available.

It will show me a few dates if I search, say, ATL-TXL. But most dates show as sold out even though there is plenty of availability on the individual ATL-IST and IST-TXL segments. I used to be able to pull these up easily by specifying TK, but I guess something has changed and it won't put them together.

Just SOL if it won't display?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by lkar
No tricks, straightforward. I am searching for very simple itineraries in C on TK, from USA to continental Europe. LM rarely will seem to put a route together of two segments transiting in IST, even if all segments are available.

It will show me a few dates if I search, say, ATL-TXL. But most dates show as sold out even though there is plenty of availability on the individual ATL-IST and IST-TXL segments. I used to be able to pull these up easily by specifying TK, but I guess something has changed and it won't put them together.

Just SOL if it won't display?
If individual sectors are available but the connection is not, you can use the screen-shot method to ask LM to manually book the ticket for you.

You'll need to send an email to the lifemiles support email address. Attached to the email you'll need three screenshots, one for each sector (showing 'available') and a third for the end-to-end showing 'sold out'.

Send that with all your details (lifemiles number, name, DOB, telephone contact etc etc) and ask them to manually book.

They'll usually get back to you next day asking you to either call them, or they will call you, to take payment.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:08 am

Thanks. I will give that a try.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:40 am

Yeah- got for that advise. Fresh data point- just redeemed one award with the screenshot method. The date I requested had segments available individually- the agents couldnt Find those dates and gave me a booking reference for one day before my intended travel date.
Since it was not much of a hassle, I accepted it and called them to make CC payment.

Format of email:

Hi Support Team,

I am trying to book a flight from AAA-IST-BBB, but the flight is not showing up on the website.
On searching for individual segments, both flights are available. Please kindly refer to the screenshots.

Passenger details:
Passenger Name

Could you please kindly make the booking using miles plus taxes.

Flight 1: LAX-IST
Date
TK76 17:50 to 16:00
Business Class

Flight 2: IST-Blah
Date
TK-blah
Business Class

I am based in Singapore and my phone number is +65 xxxxxxxx

Thank you!

Regards,
ExSin
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:42 am

And - not sure if it applies to all but they mailed back to ask for a copy (scan) of my passport. Sent it through and they immediately responded back with a booking reference.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by ExSin
I am trying to book a flight from AAA-IST-BBB, but the flight is not showing up on the website.
On searching for individual segments, both flights are available. Please kindly refer to the screenshots.

Passenger details:
Passenger Name

Could you please kindly make the booking using miles plus taxes.

Flight 1: LAX-IST
Date
TK76 17:50 to 16:00
Business Class

Flight 2: IST-Blah
Date
TK-blah
Business Class
So, AAA = LAX, BBB = Blah

Where is Blah?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
So, AAA = LAX, BBB = Blah

Where is Blah?
I believe it's the Franz Joseph II Liechtenstein International Airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.