Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by landingpoint
May I know how long it normally takes for a Lifemiles redemption to be ticketed?
Thanks in advance for your kind help!
I found SQ to ticket within 24hrs. If not done by within that time frame then I would call them as SQ are masters at auto cancelling.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
I'm very new to LM, but this ongoing 1+1 promo seems interesting.

How good is in general J award availability from Europe to BKK/SIN or maybe HKG? I don't specifically prefer any *A partner and am rather flexible on the departure airport, too LH, LX, OS, SK, TG, SQ, TK - bring it on!
Award availability can be checked via various online methods or through KVS. See the route you want and what *A is offering you. I find that LM offers you what the rest of *A can get. (more or less)

Unfortunately availability is quite bad IMHO.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I found SQ to ticket within 24hrs. If not done by within that time frame then I would call them as SQ are masters at auto cancelling.
Not in my case, took like 30 hrs.

They still wait 72 hours. I would worry after the 48h mark and not waste my time before that.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlqsko
Not in my case, took like 30 hrs.

They still wait 72 hours. I would worry after the 48h mark and not waste my time before that.
YMMV I guess as SQ cancelled my reward seat after 24hrs last year. It depends on how eager one is to get that particular seat.

I assume calling up LM and trying to get it added back in won't be easy either.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
SQ is not 24 hour auto cancel these days. More like 3 days.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Thanks for your replies, I called Avianca 6 hours after booking my SQ redemption, and was told it was going to be "another 2 hours", and voila... the SQ ticket appeared in my email 8 hours after booking. Phew...
I called SQ to double confirm this, and I was offered a cake as a goodwill gesture (did not expect that at all - it's not my birthday).
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, CX MPO DM
Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
SQ is not 24 hour auto cancel these days. More like 3 days.
Yes sir indeed, the SQ lady said that it's 72 hours.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by landingpoint
I called SQ to double confirm this, and I was offered a cake as a goodwill gesture (did not expect that at all - it's not my birthday).
Haha. That's class.

Thing with award seats is that there no guarantee's that once they drop you will get them added in. SQ or LM did cancel mine last year so I am always vary.

DL holds AF tickets for days but I have found there is no guarantee. Some times they stick around till the deadline sometime they drop within a few hours.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:53 am

LM online award availability issue

In the LM award search engine, how come I can see availability (all in business class) from both BKK-CPH/ARN and CPH/ARN-OSL on Jan 5th, but can't see availability when I try to search from BKK-OSL? Can this be booked anyway by calling them, even if it doesn't show up online in the award search engine, when I know availability is there (I also checked the connection times, and they are good)?

Snacky
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Snacky
In the LM award search engine, how come I can see availability (all in business class) from both BKK-CPH/ARN and CPH/ARN-OSL on Jan 5th, but can't see availability when I try to search from BKK-OSL? Can this be booked anyway by calling them, even if it doesn't show up online in the award search engine, when I know availability is there (I also checked the connection times, and they are good)?

Snacky
No you can't call it in. Are the seats available in the same cabin as you can't mix cabins on a redemption through LM.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:00 am

No you can't call it in. Are the seats available in the same cabin as you can't mix cabins on a redemption through LM.
Yes, all seats are in the same cabin (as they are named "business" seats for all legs in the LM booking engine). Maybe the new SAS Go and Plus classes intra-Europe are making trouble (SAS just discontinued business class intra-Europe), so they are technically not business-seats anymore in the SAS-system. But they still report as business-seats in the LM booking engine, so I don't understand why LM won't let them show up when I search flights to my final destination.

Snacky

EDIT: SAS Go/SAS Plus classes are not the culprit, as I can see other flights in the search engine, where this also would have been an issue if that was the reason.

Last edited by Snacky; Aug 3, 2013 at 12:26 pm
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, all seats are in the same cabin (as they are named "business" seats for all legs in the LM booking engine). Maybe the new SAS Go and Plus classes intra-Europe are making trouble (SAS just discontinued business class intra-Europe), as they are not technically business-seats anymore in the SAS-system. But they still report as business-seats in the LM booking engine, so I don't understand why LM won't let them show up when I search flights to my final destination.

Snacky
Unfortunately LM system is not the best when it comes to complex or even straight forward flights. I had a problem last month similar to yours but just could not get the call center to book the flights unless the system showed them up under a search.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:54 am

I had a problem last month similar to yours but just could not get the call center to book the flights unless the system showed them up under a search.
But the last leg do show up in a search, I just have to do an extra search for it. Wouldn't the call center be able to confirm that the leg CPH/ARN-OSL indeed is a business class seat (which it is according to their own search engine), and then book all the legs together manually from their side (against a manual booking fee perhaps)?

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Aug 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the last leg do show up in a search, I just have to do an extra search for it. Wouldn't the call center be able to confirm that the leg CPH/ARN-OSL indeed is a business class seat (which it is according to their own search engine), and then book the all the legs together manually from their side (against a manual booking fee perhaps)?

Snacky
That's what I tried to do last month and I tried a lot as it would have saved me almost 6hrs travel time if they would have done it. Spoke with managers and team leaders on 4 different calls and they all said their system was not capable of doing that.

Frustrating to say the least as the award is available and most other *A members will be able to do it.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:13 am

So the LM search engine is useless then. I wonder if it is a deliberate limitation. Anyway, maybe an alternative routing will open up by the end of the month, as I will not purchase points without being able to book my award ticket immediately. I'll make sure to keep looking frequently. If I indeed can't find anything, then LM has lost a potential returning points-buying customer (LM, are you reading this? )

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Aug 3, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.