Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Snacky
So the LM search engine is useless then.
More or less yes.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:23 am

I sent them an email, telling them to get their act together.
Who knows, maybe they will listen ...

Snacky
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Maybe it's time to stop with the whining.... The program has been this way for a while so you knew what you were getting and miles are still cheap and there are some usefull redemptions.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 12:20 pm

Remember, this is supposed to be the newbie thread (I'm quite the newbie to LM), so I reserve the right to let out a little bit of my frustrations over something easily rectifiable by the professional part involved here.

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Aug 5, 2013 at 1:34 am Reason: Possible insulting remark, which has been deleted to be on the safe side.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold
In the LM award search engine, how come I can see availability (all in business class) from both BKK-CPH/ARN and CPH/ARN-OSL on Jan 5th, but can't see availability when I try to search from BKK-OSL? Can this be booked anyway by calling them, even if it doesn't show up online in the award search engine, when I know availability is there (I also checked the connection times, and they are good)?

Snacky
Same issue. Trying to book JFK-FRA-ACC-JNB. All legs show up individually in the system. So does JFK-FRA-ACC or FRA-ACC-JNB, but just not all three flights together.

Called them up and asked if they would request the flights individually to build the itinerary. They said no. It has to appear online from start to finish for them to be able to book. Acknowledged that even if individual flights show up, if they entire routing doesn't then they can't book. Annoying.

Now if only USAir would let me book JFK-FRA on LH I'd just book this using the 100% bonus mile promo they are having.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 3:04 pm

Clearly they are having issues. Issues that eventually will hurt them. I call it unprofessional, as this is the only Star Alliance airline I know that cannot perform a simple task like this for their customers. I feel sorry for people that have earned their miles with Avianca, only to find that attempts at redeeming them will render a negative result in many cases. For those of us that want to buy miles, at least we have the choice to check the lack of availability first, get annoyed, and then decide against the deal. I wonder what they are trying to achieve with these promos, as they are quite useless to a lot of potential customers. This is really too bad in this time and age.

Snacky

Last edited by Snacky; Aug 3, 2013 at 3:11 pm
Old Aug 3, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Clearly they are having issues. Issues that eventually will hurt them. I call it unprofessional, as this is the only Star Alliance airline I know that cannot perform a simple task like this for their customers. I feel sorry for people that have earned their miles with Avianca, only to find that attempts at redeeming them will render a negative result in many cases. For those of us that want to buy miles, at least we have the choice to check the lack of availability first, get annoyed, and then decide against the deal. I wonder what they are trying to achieve with these promos, as they are quite useless to a lot of potential customers. This is really too bad in this time and age.

Snacky
So move on then. Many of us have been thrilled with the LM program as it has offered many fantastic opportunities.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by Aussie_flyer
So move on then. Many of us have been thrilled with the LM program as it has offered many fantastic opportunities.
I have, don't you worry. I too have been thrilled, on trying to outwit the search engine ...

Snacky

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 4, 2013 at 6:19 pm Reason: removed deleted post
Old Aug 4, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
I have, don't you worry.

Snacky
You clearly haven't but keep telling yourself that
Old Aug 4, 2013, 4:51 am

Thanks for caring, but I assure you I have adjusted to LM's somewhat lesser standards of customer service by now. And seriously, a forum actually exists for people (and slightly annoyed newbies) to exchange opinions and seek advice, which is what I have done. If you can't handle that, simply just stop reading the thread for a while, and I'll make sure to not elaborate more, just to be on the safe side.

Snacky
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
¡Basta! Enough! Claiming a post is snark free does not make it so, and personal exchanges that are snarky or flamey will be deleted; further such exchanges will subject the poster(s) to possible sanctions, in accordance with the TOS.

If you don't feel you can be civil, move on without saying anything; if you do not wish to read someone else's posts, go to My FlyerTalk, Edit Ignore List and add the member to your Ignore list - and then ignore him / her. Please.

¡Gracias! / Thank you.

JDiver
senior moderator
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:33 am

I'd like to thank the moderator for interfering. Clearly this got out of hand, and I didn't exactly contribute to keep the thread within the rules myself either, although I tried my best to close the issue politely.

Snacky
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:28 pm

Sorry if this is a silly question and/or in the wrong place (mods pls move if that's the case).

I'm looking to book an award flight with UA miles, however I'm searching on the LM website to find their availability so I can call UA and request the specific flights that are available.

When searching on LM, I see 3 categories for Y redemptions:
- "Seats on Sale"
- "Limited Seats"
- "All Seats"

"All seats" clearly does not mean all seats as on many days there is no availability in this category.

However my question is which of the above categories are available to partners for booking? I.e. which category should I be looking for availability in, so I can call UA and ask them to book me that seat?

Many thanks in advance
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by flood
However my question is which of the above categories are available to partners for booking? I.e. which category should I be looking for availability in, so I can call UA and ask them to book me that seat?
You should be looking at award availability on UA website.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by echino
You should be looking at award availability on UA website.
Sure, I am, and while the UA tool is very good, even they don't have 100% of the partner flights that are actually available as searchable...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.