Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Coronawiki (March 2020)
Does anyone know if Lifemiles will waive cancellation fees for an award ticket due to COVID-19 concerns?
Unfortunately, barring an outright flight cancellation, Lifemiles will not waive cancel fees.
Just pay the $200 as a "self caution fee". (nobody is actually preventing you the passenger from flying as you booked).
In the future, it would be wise to invest in travel insurance.
=====
Transferring Amex MR points will extend expiration of LM. Post #906 confirms this. Expiration date updates overnight, so wait 24 hours after the transferred miles have posted to LM.

LifeMiles' Star Alliance Award Chart

Cash & Miles redemptions: the price per mile purchased during award booking varies significantly depending on how many miles are purchased. The "sweet spots" are between 38% and 58% of the total mileage required, where miles are purchased for 1.5 cents. See here for some examples.

Beware of Cabotage: LifeMiles has been known to issue tickets that constitute Cabotage, and at least one instance of denied boarding has been reported, stranding the passenger. An example is travel on Avianca from LAX to SJU (via SAL/BOG). For additional information see the WIKI of this thread.

https://www.lifemiles.com/eng/abo/wnb/wnbtercond.aspx
Miles Expiration Policy valid from April 15th , 2018.
  1. Any miles accrual transaction in a member´s account in the Program extends the validity of the miles in the account of such member for a term of twelve (12) months from the date of such accrual of miles. Other transactions that may affect the balance of miles in a member’s account, including redemption transactions, will have no effect on them and will not extend the validity of the miles in such account. This general rule will have the following exceptions that extend the validity of such miles in the account of such member for twenty-four (24) months from the date of such accrual: (i) any accrual of miles in a member´s account with an Elite Status at the time of the accrual; (ii) any accrual of miles derived from a cobranded credit or debit cards under the LifeMiles brand.
  2. ......the following accrual activities do not extend the validity of the miles in the member´s account: 1) the birthday bonus or any other miles bonus that may be given by the LifeMiles Program and LifeMiles LTD so establishes.; 2) the migration of points or miles from other loyalty programs to the LifeMiles Program made as a consequence of the union of both loyalty programs or the migration of one member from another loyalty program to the LifeMiles Program; and 3) the merger of accounts of the LifeMiles Program, including those derived from a member´s duplicate accounts.
Print Wikipost

LM Newbie Lounge: Ask your Questions Here (Flame Free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2013, 2:36 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by flood
Sure, I am, and while the UA tool is very good, even they don't have 100% of the partner flights that are actually available as searchable...
But the UA website is quite good at showing what is available when you book with UA miles. It's quite pointless to use the LM site to see what's they availability for their members, award availability as *A partner awards can be quite different from what FFP's offer their own members on their own metal.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta
Newbie question - I'm looking at YYZ to MAA and returning from DEL. Realize I have to break the journey into one way purchases. When I search for J for 1 seat there is availability, but not for 2 seats (anytime - as far as I can see). Is there only 1 J class per flight available for redemption?

TIA
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ElizabethS
Newbie question - I'm looking at YYZ to MAA and returning from DEL. Realize I have to break the journey into one way purchases. When I search for J for 1 seat there is availability, but not for 2 seats (anytime - as far as I can see). Is there only 1 J class per flight available for redemption?

TIA
No, but it does depend on the airline. For example Lufthansa and Swiss offer 5-6 per flight. What airline and routing is it offering you?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta
Originally Posted by onlysuites
No, but it does depend on the airline. For example Lufthansa and Swiss offer 5-6 per flight. What airline and routing is it offering you?
YYZ - IAD United
IAD - FRA - LH
FRA - MAA - LH

1 J seat for January 13

I just did some more searching and I think maybe I just hit one seat on one day........5 days either sold is sold out even for a single.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ElizabethS
YYZ - IAD United
IAD - FRA - LH
FRA - MAA - LH

1 J seat for January 13

I just did some more searching and I think maybe I just hit one seat on one day........5 days either sold is sold out even for a single.
Yeah Lufthansa seem's to be strictly offering just the one seat on this route for most of this year. It does change from next year you can see that 5th Feb has two seats.

In my experience LH withholds seats until t-21 days for business. Look at 28th August it is showing as 4+ seats as available.

I know this may not be ideal but you may need to start trying 21-28 days out.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:34 am

I can find availability for an SQ J class ticket on lifemiles, but the same one is not available on united.com Any idea if it would help to call united to book this using MP miles. I have some miles on united, but no status.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by stanguy
I can find availability for an SQ J class ticket on lifemiles, but the same one is not available on united.com Any idea if it would help to call united to book this using MP miles. I have some miles on united, but no status.
No it wouldn't. LifeMiles for unknown reasons enjoys special access to SQ J.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
adding segment by segment. hoping someone can help

Trying to book Washington to Kayseri (Turkey) via Istanbul. lifemiles.com shows availability when I search for Washington to Istanbul and Istanbul to Kayseri separately. However there is no availability if I search from Washington to kayseri.

Called the service center 9 times. Apparently they can't add flights segment by segment! What is the use of the call center then! Is there a way around the problem? Is there a trick to getting lifemiles.com to display the award space?
Old Aug 29, 2013, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyunbit
Trying to book Washington to Kayseri (Turkey) via Istanbul. lifemiles.com shows availability when I search for Washington to Istanbul and Istanbul to Kayseri separately. However there is no availability if I search from Washington to kayseri.

Called the service center 9 times. Apparently they can't add flights segment by segment! What is the use of the call center then! Is there a way around the problem? Is there a trick to getting lifemiles.com to display the award space?
Nope, no & no. I know this is not what you want to hear but that is one of the bugs in LM. You can only book what the system shows you.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 4:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kyunbit
As allready mentioned. What you can find through the website is what you get. Something that is mentioned in this forum almost every day.

So you can stop calling :-). It's not going to get better. Complaining about it here doesn't work either...

If you really want to book segments you can either book through the multi-city option (with it's restrictions) or book separate tickets (with other problems like connections that aren't guaranteed). It's also going to cost you extra miles.....

It is what it is. And it's not always a LM problem, there is a restriction called maried segments where each segment is available but not the combination. Rules for those and availability are determined by the operating airline.

The LM website refuses to book long connections. That's probably the case here.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:52 pm

Are Avianca and Avianca Brazil different entities? And more importantly are they both in *A? I am taking an intra-Brazil flight next week on Avianca and would like to know if I can credit to UA.

Thanks
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:42 am

I think stopovers are not allowed but how you go about booking LHR-SIN-HKG in one one-way booking on SQ ? Would it have to be via the call centre ? Unfortunately all I'm getting is EVA Air to BKK and Thai International to HKG.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You could try using the booking engine just searching for SQ flights (you can choose your preferred airline) and even use a departure time, but if no flights show up you're out of luck.

Might have something to do with connection times or there could be simply no availability. I sometime see Y seats available for a route but nothing in C.

You could also search from ZRH or FRA.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
You could try using the booking engine just searching for SQ flights (you can choose your preferred airline) and even use a departure time, but if no flights show up you're out of luck.
Thanks for that. How silly of me not to try that in the first place !
Old Aug 31, 2013, 3:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It mostly gets you no other results, but sometimes it does. At least it's easier to see if there's any availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.