Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles 100% promo - reactivated through 30 Sept 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifemiles 100% promo - reactivated through 30 Sept 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:25 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by @ORD
I am looking at PNH => ORD on July 19th/20th.
You were doing well to even get to sold out...the LM website typically goes into meltdown when ORD is selected as one of the cities! Maybe Firefox is your browser of choice already?
Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:34 pm

All the options shown on united.com for the 19th July are mixed class itineraries. LifeMiles does not offer these, either online, or over the phone.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
All the options shown on united.com for the 19th July are mixed class itineraries. LifeMiles does not offer these, either online, or over the phone.
Hmm... This one on 20JUL should meet all LM rules I think:
OZ740
OZ333
UA850
All J with no stop that is more than 6 hours.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
You were doing well to even get to sold out...the LM website typically goes into meltdown when ORD is selected as one of the cities! Maybe Firefox is your browser of choice already?
Yes, it is. Tried Chrome, IE and Torch.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), AA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat.
I see. Quite severe restrictions...
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
Hmm... This one on 20JUL should meet all LM rules I think:
OZ740
OZ333
UA850
All J with no stop that is more than 6 hours.
I tried tinkering with the departure time but still no joy.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 10:44 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
I tried tinkering with the departure time but still no joy.
I verified each segment is available on LM, but no, the route does not come up as a whole.

I see OP has the choice of booking as two separate awards:
PNH-TPE in Y for 17.5K
TPE-LAX-ORD in BR-J + UA-J for 62.5K

total is 80K. If it can be booked in one award, it would cost 65K.
Or OP can just use 80K of UA miles.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Obviously not the case here, but worthy of mention again due to the length of this thread. "Sold out" doesn't always mean sold out. I have many times gone back the next day or more later to find previously sold out routes available on LM.

Part of it is normal airline release changes, but another part is that a failed transaction (very common on the payment page) blocks the seat as if it was purchased until a certain amount of time has passed. I know this for sure, as I have had a payment failure, gone back to try again only to find no availability. 24 hours later, the seats come back.

Lifemiles has its quirks, but it sure provides some great values if used correctly. It's a personal decision, but I find it worth a little frustration when I am not in a big hurry to book a ticket. As others have mentioned, I also use OALs to book reward tix that can be canceled if seats become available on LM. They often do as the departure gets closer.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
Obviously not the case here, but worthy of mention again due to the length of this thread. "Sold out" doesn't always mean sold out. I have many times gone back the next day or more later to find previously sold out routes available on LM.

Part of it is normal airline release changes, but another part is that a failed transaction (very common on the payment page) blocks the seat as if it was purchased until a certain amount of time has passed. I know this for sure, as I have had a payment failure, gone back to try again only to find no availability. 24 hours later, the seats come back.

Lifemiles has its quirks, but it sure provides some great values if used correctly. It's a personal decision, but I find it worth a little frustration when I am not in a big hurry to book a ticket. As others have mentioned, I also use OALs to book reward tix that can be canceled if seats become available on LM. They often do as the departure gets closer.
What are OAL's
Old Jul 8, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
What are OAL's
Other Airlines

I think what OP means is book, say, SQ KF using SQ KF miles as back up, if Lifemiles opens up T-14, book using Lifemiles, cancel and redeposit SQ KF mile for mininal dollar cost
Old Jul 8, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Is Firefox the best browser to usefor LifeMiles? Is there any way to get it to remember the password?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingExplorer
Is Firefox the best browser to usefor LifeMiles? Is there any way to get it to remember the password?
I am a Mac user, and I find that Firefox works far better than Chrome or Safari when dealing with Lifemiles. I'm also a Laspass user, and the Lifemiles page is one of those that doesn't seem to work well with the Lastpass autofill feature, but it will "sometimes" fill either the account number or the password, but never both. No browser I use will fill the fields automatically.

For those unfamiliar with Lastpass, it has a free version that I have used flawlessly for years. It will generate super strong passwords and remember them. For an extra $1 per month, they also have a mobile add-on, but I have not tried that one. I'm still not comfortable with entering my primary password via mobile, as Laspass contains every account I access online, including all the financial ones. On the desktop, however, it's a lifesaver!
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Where does one go to do a dummy booking using LM?.

oops found it.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
I am a Mac user, and I find that Firefox works far better than Chrome or Safari when dealing with Lifemiles. I'm also a Laspass user, and the Lifemiles page is one of those that doesn't seem to work well with the Lastpass autofill feature, but it will "sometimes" fill either the account number or the password, but never both. No browser I use will fill the fields automatically.

For those unfamiliar with Lastpass, it has a free version that I have used flawlessly for years. It will generate super strong passwords and remember them. For an extra $1 per month, they also have a mobile add-on, but I have not tried that one. I'm still not comfortable with entering my primary password via mobile, as Laspass contains every account I access online, including all the financial ones. On the desktop, however, it's a lifesaver!
Does anyone know of a password manager that autofills LM properly?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Please forgive my relative newbishness with LM. My impression is that with the current promo one could buy 1,000 miles at full price into account A, with a dummy account B with 0 miles. Then one can transfer this amount successfully back and forth between accounts A and B until some constraint is reached...

There's a 75K transfer limit per account.

There's a 150K receiving limit per account.

There's no lower bound on account age at transfer, so you could transfer to/from a newly opened account.

So if you transfer A-B-A-B, you'll get to a point where you have 64,000 miles in A, 0 miles in B, and A has cumulatively transferred 21,000 miles to B, and B has cumulatively transferred 42,000 miles back to A.

At this point, what A sends to B is constrained by what B can send back to A and still stay w/in the 75K limit. In this case, that's about 32K miles (42K+32K = 74K).

So A sends B 16K, B sends back 32K, and A ends up with 64,000-16,000+64,000 = 112,000 miles, and you've tapped out the transfer limit.

On the other hand, you could have several accounts and send in a circle, getting to a maximum of 128,000 miles in one particular account.

All this assumes that one doesn't want to leave a small stray balance in another account, which would then make getting near the max easier.

And of course, the actual optimal # of miles needed isn't necessarily 150K or 112K or 128K, but whatever yields the best value at time of redemption since the remaining miles can be bought for ~1.5cpm.

Am I making sense?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.