Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Avianca | LifeMiles and Amigo
Reload this Page >

Lifemiles 100% promo - reactivated through 30 Sept 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lifemiles 100% promo - reactivated through 30 Sept 2014

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by walterj
So it looks like Lifemiles is can be a way to get cheaper flights on short notice, if you have the nerves.
I am a Lifemiles fan, but there is enough evidence in this thread alone to indicate that it can be pretty dangerous to rely on them, even when availability is shown.

Having had nothing but good luck with my bookings, I have no personal experience to rely on, but I can say that when other issues have arisen, the local Avianca office has always been able to resolve for me that which could not be resolved online. Living in San Jose, Costa Rica gives me an advantage, of course, as there are Avianca offices all over town.
Old May 28, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
I am a Lifemiles fan, but there is enough evidence in this thread alone to indicate that it can be pretty dangerous to rely on them, even when availability is shown.

Having had nothing but good luck with my bookings, I have no personal experience to rely on, but I can say that when other issues have arisen, the local Avianca office has always been able to resolve for me that which could not be resolved online. Living in San Jose, Costa Rica gives me an advantage, of course, as there are Avianca offices all over town.
Not to mention IT fixes owing to DOT complaints...
Old May 28, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
understatement of the century! glad it worked out for you!!

Originally Posted by walterj
So it looks like Lifemiles is a way to get cheaper flights on short notice, if you have the nerves.
Old May 28, 2014, 9:09 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Not last-minute, but I got late summer flights from ORF to EDI on UA that have been running on almost all airlines for no less than $1600 (EI's been cheaper but with departures from IAD or JFK and an overnight stay required in DUB, incurring a charge for a hotel) for $1089 for my two sisters, including purchase of miles and all fees.

No tricks, just an honest-to-goodness savings of $500 per ticket because the 2-4-1 mileage promotion and the unusually high coach prices (I've paid less than $1000 for similar tickets the last couple of summers) worked in my favor.

Obviously, a classic YMMV, and my sisters won't earn any miles for their trip, but for that kind of savings, they're happy.
Old May 31, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: TK Elite
Well, May 31st has come and I'm still able to buy 2x1
Old May 31, 2014, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Wilko Pali Sedef
Well, May 31st has come and I'm still able to buy 2x1
A blogger should call this in and get it fixed!
Old May 31, 2014, 2:32 pm

But claim/demand a compensation first
Old May 31, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I cannot seem to get it to take any of my credit cards! It keeps coming back with helpful page "Please enter other credit card number"

Any ideas? I've gone through 5 cards...
Old May 31, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by stephem
I cannot seem to get it to take any of my credit cards! It keeps coming back with helpful page "Please enter other credit card number"

Trying calling your card companies until you can find one who will approve your purchase in San Salvador. Many of them have that country blocked without prior authorization from you. Apparently it is known for CC fraud, and that is where LM online transactions are processed.

May be where they are processed for the phone center, too, but that could be in Bogotá now. I'm not sure. If you have to call in (be careful what you say!), be sure to ask them.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
Trying calling your card companies until you can find one who will approve your purchase in San Salvador. Many of them have that country blocked without prior authorization from you. Apparently it is known for CC fraud, and that is where LM online transactions are processed.

May be where they are processed for the phone center, too, but that could be in Bogotá now. I'm not sure. If you have to call in (be careful what you say!), be sure to ask them.
I thought that they processed in Panama?
Old May 31, 2014, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
SAL was Taca's home base, and unless they have changed, that is where they still process LM online payments. I know this, as I had the same problem when first starting to buy the miles. I'm a little less clear on where AV is now based. I thought it was BOG, but it seems that I have recently read something about it now being in Brazil.

AV still has a major call center at BOG, so I'm sure they still process a lot of transactions there, but YMMV depending on how your call is routed. Either way, even Colombia, as much as it has been cleaned up (really remarkable and under-reported story), still has a big problem with card cloning operations there. They are fighting them hard, but it wouldn't surprise me if US banks were gun shy about accepting transactions from there without prior notice.

Panama is Copa's home base, but the way AV/TA is so spread out, it could be that they have some operations in various locations. It would not shock me to see a transaction show up on AV (Lifemiles) from Panama or any other Latin American country.

FWIW, Chase is the one card that I've never had to call to authorize before buying LM, so that's the one I always use these days. It could be, however, because I live in Latin America. They don't see transactions on my account from this region as being unusual. Other banks don't seem to notice, but I use my Chase UC Club card more because it has no foreign transaction fees.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I bought some miles just last week - my c/c transaction shows as "Avianca Lifemiles MC Panama PAN"

When I first bought miles (and then started transferring them under the 2x1 offer back in March), my c/c company phoned me to satisfy itself they weren't fraudulent transactions - there was a whole sequence of low-value transactions, starting from $30

This time, the much larger value single transaction was not queried.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by stephem

I was having great difficulty too with different VISA CC's,I switched to a Mastercard and boom went right through.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:02 am

My Visa transaction was processed by AVIANCA LIFEMILES VI PANAMA and the country code is PA, so it does look like they process Visas through Panama as well.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by pandaperth
I bought some miles just last week - my c/c transaction shows as "Avianca Lifemiles MC Panama PAN"
Originally Posted by claurianta2
My Visa transaction was processed by AVIANCA LIFEMILES VI PANAMA and the country code is PA, so it does look like they process Visas through Panama as well.
I stand corrected, then. My purchase last month was done in person at the AV office here in San Jose, CR, as I had an ecert to apply which paid for more than half of it.

Things are certainly changing at AV, so I guess this is yet another. It may have been in place longer, and I just didn't notice.

I'm surprised that Panama would be a flag for so many US banks, but it obviously is from what I'm reading here. Again, a call to one's bank advising that a foreign transaction is coming should resolve it. If available, a card with no foreign transaction fee will reduce the cost of the purchase, or at least keep it from being inflated by one's bank.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.