Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Just register an EIN for your existing business outside the US if they must have a tax ID. I believe that should also do the trick.
Old May 6, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Just register an EIN for your existing business outside the US if they must have a tax ID. I believe that should also do the trick.
The thing is I don't have any business at all outside the US. There's also a canadian Amex for Business so will do some research which one is easiest to get through a GT
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...business-card/
The american Brilliant card is still very tempting though for personal use for future US trips so it could be useful to get them both.
Old May 6, 2020, 8:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
....Amex will want to know about the existence of a business.
This is not true for domestic Business card applicants, but it could be in a Global Transfers context.
Old May 9, 2020, 2:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mia
This is not true for domestic Business card applicants, but it could be in a Global Transfers context.
US applicants for a business charge card do not need to provide evidence of an actual registered business?
Old May 9, 2020, 2:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
No, because as a sole proprietor (like someone selling stuff on eBay from time to time) doesn’t have to register a business. They would just declare the profits on their personal tax return using their SSN.
But for that reason Chase told me you can’t get a business credit card without a SSN. An ITIN doesn’t allow you to work in the US, so you can’t use that to apply for a business credit card.
Artemio and joakgarp like this.
Old May 9, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Hi, I don't know if this will be the thread but the other one is too old and I don't want to bump it.

Does anyone know if IDC/IEC are compatible with Apple Pay? , are they contactless (physical card)?

Thanks!, that may be a deal breaker for me if the UK serviced ICC don't have all the tech advances as the US counterpart. Aka, intuitive app, working website.
Old May 9, 2020, 3:37 pm
mia

You can see the contactless logo on the cards on the ICC website: https://www.americanexpress.com/laci...ds/index.shtml

Old May 9, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by mvtm
Hi, I don't know if this will be the thread but the other one is too old and I don't want to bump it.

Does anyone know if IDC/IEC are compatible with Apple Pay? , are they contactless (physical card)?

Thanks!, that may be a deal breaker for me if the UK serviced ICC don't have all the tech advances as the US counterpart. Aka, intuitive app, working website.
I can confirm mia's post. Mine has the contactless option, but haven't tried it with apple pay though.

Last edited by Artemio; May 9, 2020 at 4:03 pm Reason: .
Old May 9, 2020, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by mia
You can see the contactless logo on the cards on the ICC website: https://www.americanexpress.com/laci...ds/index.shtml
Yes, but I am not exactly thinking of getting a regular one.... *cough**cough* the Basic IEC is the one that enticed me. To get a taste how the ICC cards are handled, build some history outside USA, and if the service is good or it's worth the hassle ... might pick one proper one if it makes any sense in the future. Given that i'm spending more and more time in Europe , might be a good way to build a credit history here. That's why I worry that I don't have Apple Pay or contactless... because the card is basically the no rewards , MR card which everyone neglects. hehe.

Edit: This one : https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/...ency-card.html

Originally Posted by Artemio
I can confirm mia's post. Mine has the contactless option, but haven't tried it with apple pay though.
Thanks Artemio! That's very handy of you. I appreciate it, If someday you try it with Apple Pay or any of these wallets let me know.

Last edited by mvtm; May 9, 2020 at 4:25 pm Reason: Add link
Old May 9, 2020, 4:28 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mvtm
....spending more and more time in Europe....
I looked at the Latin America ICC site because your profile shows Caracas. The image of the Basic card does not show the Contactless logo, but the actual cards may have the feature. In which country are your current American Express cards issued?
Old May 9, 2020, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I looked at the Latin America ICC site because your profile shows Caracas. The image of the Basic card does not show the Contactless logo, but the actual cards may have the feature. In which country are your current American Express cards issued?
Well the most important thing is that these cards can be uploaded to Apple Pay. Ah I see why, my current cards are US issued, but I do not have residency in the US, I applied through Global Transfer from latin america and now I'm looking forward to apply for a card in Euro. It doesn't matter much as I don't pay foreign transaction fees but I would like to have currency flexibility and also expanding my credit history to Europe would be nice.
Old May 10, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
No, because as a sole proprietor (like someone selling stuff on eBay from time to time) doesn’t have to register a business. They would just declare the profits on their personal tax return using their SSN.
But for that reason Chase told me you can’t get a business credit card without a SSN. An ITIN doesn’t allow you to work in the US, so you can’t use that to apply for a business credit card.
Have you tried getting a business card from Chase with an Ein number instead? https://www.fundera.com/blog/busines...ecurity-number
​​​​​
Old May 10, 2020, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Have you tried getting a business card from Chase with an Ein number instead? https://www.fundera.com/blog/busines...ecurity-number
​​​​​
No, not yet. As far as I know, they usually still require you to co-sign (so they can go after you if the company goes bust) - would be interesting to see if they accept an ITIN for that, or if they still require a SSN.
Old May 10, 2020, 9:46 am
mia

In the USA, so-called Business cards are issued to individuals, not to companies. The individual is always responsible for the debt. If the business has an EIN, the owner(s)' Social Security number(s) are still required. (Corporate cards are issued to companies. The Business/Corporate distinction is based on size, not legal structure.)

There are regulatory differences between personal and business cards which make it attractive to issue business cards, even if there is no company and no business, BUT the issuers still need to satisfy their regulators, and Chase is stricter than American Express in verifying that there really is a business. Chase apparently further tightened requirements in March 2020. This is not the phase to be applying for cards just to earn bonuses. Underwriting standards are changing, and dormant accounts will be closed without discussion, because credit lines represent risk.
Old May 10, 2020, 10:27 am

This is really beginning to go off-topic, but US entities (even with an office and employees) can have non-resident managers and owners.
For example, a friend of mine runs a US company that sells Chinese products to American consumers through Amazon and he has a US employee who takes care of all customer service.
But he himself is a nonresident alien and lives in Europe. He doesn't have a SSN. But the company pays its taxes in the US (it's taxed as a corporation).
Would be interesting if he could get a business credit card for his business. He did get a personal Platinum card using his ITIN.
joakgarp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.