Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Why would Wise issue you a bank statement showing a US address if you don't live in the US?
Old Aug 18, 2023, 1:16 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

The following has been posted on the AwardWallet blog:

The days of applying for a U.S. credit card without supplying a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) when moving from overseas are ending. A new policy change means that, from August 23, 2023, you must provide a U.S. Social Security Number or ITIN when applying for a credit card and want your overseas credit history to be considered in the application process.

The change mainly affects Nova credit, which allows you to apply for U.S. American Express Cards and have your overseas credit history from select countries to be considered.
Our Take

If you are moving to the U.S. (or recently moved) and were planning on applying for a credit card, the ability to do so without an SSN or ITIN was very convenient. It meant you could start immediately building your U.S. credit history. Unfortunately, the new policy means you will now have to wait until you have your SSN or ITIN number before applying for a credit card in the U.S.

Fortunately, there is still a window of opportunity through August 23, 2023, where you can apply without needing an SSN or ITIN. If applying for a US card is important or something you intended to do soon, you may want to do so now before the change.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Avios, Hilton, Amex MR (CAD)
Welp I think I possibly fckd up and got instant decline for my global transfer application from Canda to US (personal plat). I had just few days back successfully applied using the Nova credit for Hilton no-fee card (wanted to use nova before the SSN requirement change took place). Because of that my global transfer is getting declined.
I remember reading in multiple places that if you then applied using global transfer within a short window, it could still be considered a "first-time move". Seems either I messed up something or its no more the case as I haven't even received my Hilton card yet.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, OWE
Transfer MR UK to US

Hi all I've recently relocated to the US from the UK. I was able to open an American Express card in the US but have almost no points. I have several thousand in the UK that I'd like to transfer over. Does anyone have experience doing this? I've searched it and some threads seem to imply it is possible, but I can't figure it out. I chatted to an agent who wasn't very helpful.....

Thank you!
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Please read this post from 2019: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30709769-post451.html
Old Jan 18, 2024, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jonr405
Hi all I've recently relocated to the US from the UK. I was able to open an American Express card in the US but have almost no points. I have several thousand in the UK that I'd like to transfer over. Does anyone have experience doing this? I've searched it and some threads seem to imply it is possible, but I can't figure it out. I chatted to an agent who wasn't very helpful.....

Thank you!
As well as reading the post that mia linked to, I would recommend speaking to an agent on the UK side (and ideally during UK business hours so you have a greater chance of speaking to someone in Brighton). I've done this UK-to-US transfer a few times and never had a problem, and it's always been someone on the UK side who's taken care of it.
mia, Ellice and jonr405 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.