Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
You took my post out of context. I didn't say it's technically impossible. I meant that I don't think any US bank would willingly offer a line of credit to non-resident aliens with no tangible assets in the US.
The Amex T&C state that you must be a US resident. They would never have given you that card if you had told them you live in Europe and aren't a US person. You simply successfully deceived Amex.
This is not true, that language is boilerplate. I personally know multiple individuals that have nothing more than a U.S. bank account (e.g. no ITIN, no SS#, no U.S. source income/employment, no U.S. home/address, etc.).

They did not deceive Amex about residency and told the truth when calling in to apply (since no SS/ITIN). Amex approved them and all is well.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 12:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
LOL! The callcenter agents live off commissions. Of course they’re not going to stop you.
When I opened my BofA account and explained that I’m self-employed, the bank employee suggested to write that I’m employed by my most important client because that would increase my chances of being approved for a credit card (I still wasn’t). They care about their commissions. They’re not responsible if you lie on your application.
And you can’t even apply without a US address.

And calling contract terms “boilerplate”... “Your honor, I know I signed this. But I thought we all agreed that my signature would only apply to the parts I liked!”

I don’t have a problem with that, as long as you all pay your bills on time. But it surely isn’t intended this way by any US bank.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
You took my post out of context. I didn't say it's technically impossible. I meant that I don't think any US bank would willingly offer a line of credit to non-resident aliens with no tangible assets in the US.
The Amex T&C state that you must be a US resident. They would never have given you that card if you had told them you live in Europe and aren't a US person. You simply successfully deceived Amex.
I did not lie. They need just an address in the USA. They know I live in Europe, have my passport and sent even all things to Europe.

You need indeed assets in the USA ( BOFA needed to confirm I had an account and my address) and then they take the credit history with you.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
They don’t need any address in the US. It’s the address where you are supposed to live.
I know that what you described works. But it also violates Amex’ T&C.
Try emailing them: “I just gave you my friend’s address. I don’t actually live at that address. I live in Europe. But I can keep my card, right?”
See how far that gets you. Since they’re fine with that, right? ;-)
Old Jul 5, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
They don’t need any address in the US. It’s the address where you are supposed to live.
I know that what you described works. But it also violates Amex’ T&C.
Try emailing them: “I just gave you my friend’s address. I don’t actually live at that address. I live in Europe. But I can keep my card, right?”
See how far that gets you. Since they’re fine with that, right? ;-)
Like I said, I know people (non-U.S. persons) who literally called in to apply and candidly explained their situation. They obviously have a U.S. bank account to pay the bill, but that is it. They live and work abroad. They were approved and the cards were even sent to the foreign address.

I don't know what the laws dictate, but I would imagine that, if Amex wishes to expand its client base and assume the inherent risk in dealing with such non-U.S. clients, they have probably done their homework.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 5:44 am

Again, the agents get paid a commission. They know that if they just enter a US address and the customer uploads a bank statement as proof of residency, it’ll go through. The callcenter agents don’t approve the applications. And for the system (or people) approving the applications, they can’t see what the customer told the callcenter agent.
But as a customer, you receive the T&C, which clearly state you must be a US resident.

Anyway, I don’t think this debate is adding a lot of value to the thread. ;-)
We both agree it is possible to get US cards in practice, which is what matters. ;-)
Old Jul 5, 2020, 9:34 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This offer is available to US Residents does not mean that the card is only available to residents of the USA. The card product is not the "offer", and there is other language in the terms which explicitly acknowledges that some cardholds are not US residents.

Last edited by mia; Jul 22, 2020 at 10:28 pm
Old Jul 22, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: SQ Gold, QR Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
Correct.
Trying to wrap my head around this.
1 AUD is approximately 53 INR. Does that mean 1 AU MR gets me 53 MR points in India? Will be too good to be true. The AU and and Indian cards are different but based on the MR points.

Last edited by paag; Jul 22, 2020 at 8:51 pm
Old Jul 22, 2020, 9:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by paag
Trying to wrap my head around this.
1 AUD is approximately 53 INR. Does that mean 1 AU MR gets me 53 MR points in India? Will be too good to be true. The AU and and Indian cards are different but based on the MR points.
https://www.americanexpress.com/in/c...rewards-cards/

1 membership reward point per 50 INR spent. They would convert points at approximately the prevailing exchange rate between AUD and INR.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:04 pm

And then they would probably transfer to airline miles at a 50:1 ratio.
So you’ll want to check that first.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
https://www.americanexpress.com/in/c...rewards-cards/

1 membership reward point per 50 INR spent. They would convert points at approximately the prevailing exchange rate between AUD and INR.
Sorry, but not sure if I understand this correctly. How would say 10000 AU MR points be converted to Indian MR points?
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:08 pm

And then they would probably transfer to airline miles at a 50:1 ratio.
So you’ll want to check that first.
Lol, I hope that's not the case. The card I hold converts 2:1
Tried getting in touch and a couple of agents seem to be unaware of this. Waiting to hear back from them
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:10 pm

Wow, if that worked, it would be amazing.
paag likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 10:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by paag
Sorry, but not sure if I understand this correctly. How would say 10000 AU MR points be converted to Indian MR points?
10,000 AU MR was earned with $10,000, right? Let's say the exchange rate today is 1 AU$ to 40 INR, but you only earn 1 MR for each 50 INR. What they would do is say OK, $10K spend in INR = 400,000 INR, but that's only 8,000 MR in India, so you will get 8,000 MR.

Generally speaking, Global Transfer MR rates are fairly well linked, and their earning is fairly close to $1 USD = 1 MR (converted to local currency), so absent any radical currency devaluations / forex movements, the MR points will, within ~10%, be worth about the same everywhere. Where your advantage would be is in finding award programs that are either absent elsewhere, or have poor ratios. For example, Japan does not have great MR-Avios transfers, so converting a Japanese Amex to a US / Canadian one would give one a better transfer rate to those points (I'm leaving aside the card eligibility criteria etc, obviously).

[edit] if you have a 2-for-1 earning card, I'm not sure how that works, but I think they still consider it as $1:1 MR in that case.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 5:40 pm

The best position would be transfer from MR points earned in a currency that is worth more than USD. For example UK MR points are 1 per £ but when transferred over to the US your get an extra 26ish percent based on recent exchange rate. So in the UK 1000 MR points gets 1000 BA Avios but when transferred to the US you'd get ~1257 MR points and 1257 BA Avios. The only downside is you lose value when transfering to US then Marriott. UK MR points transfer 2:3 to Marriott Bonvoy vs 1:1 in the US. Win some lose some.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.