Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Can’t speak to the UK, but with US Amex cards, you can choose paperless statements. They will ship replacement cards internationally. The first card of each product will always be sent to your US address, but you never have to activate it. Instead, you can ask for a replacement card to be mailed wherever you are.
barracuda93, joakgarp and DC9 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC
Pushing it a bit - but has anyone had experience for transferring (from UK, but I'll take anywhere!) to Finland?
Banking seems a bit conservative over here for a newcomer, but Amex in general seems established. Obviously I'm employed and have all the necessary legal paperwork, local banking etc etc sorted...

Cheers!
Old Feb 15, 2020, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Alibarber
Pushing it a bit - but has anyone had experience for transferring (from UK, but I'll take anywhere!) to Finland?
Banking seems a bit conservative over here for a newcomer, but Amex in general seems established. Obviously I'm employed and have all the necessary legal paperwork, local banking etc etc sorted...

Cheers!
I don’t think it’s any different from anywhere else. As I have said in this thread, my transfer experience out of the UK was very positive.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don’t think it’s any different from anywhere else. As I have said in this thread, my transfer experience out of the UK was very positive.
Great - thanks. I sent the application last night, will see what happens. I was just concerned that as it appeared under ‘other countries’ on the website it might not actually have an official Global Transfer process - but I think that was the wrong assumption.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:23 am

Hi, long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I have a few questions. I'm moving from the UK to the US sometime this year but don't have a fixed date yet. I will be staying with my brother so I already have an address. I have good standing with Amex here in the UK and wish to do a Global Transfer before I move. Will I need a US bank account for the application?

I know I don't need a SSN or ITIN for the application process but I'm keen to start building credit in the US and perhaps apply for other cards in the future. I think an ITIN will suffice here? With that in mind, how do I get a ITIN before I'm in the US? And once I get it, how do I ensure it is attached to my Amex account and/or credit report?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes, you will need a US bank account. The bank statement also works as a proof of address.
I think you should be building credit without an ITIN as well. As soon as you have the ITIN, just ask Amex to add it to your account.
And ITIN works for many cards, but not for all. For example, you can't get Chase business cards without a SSN.
There are different ways to get an ITIN, but if you're going to move there anyway, I probably wouldn't want to bother with the paperwork. It would probably just create confusion.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Waddle
I know I don't need...
Here are American Express' published requirements for Global Transfers to USA:

Must haves for a USA move:

• Your American Express account number
• U.S. home address
• U.S. home phone number
U.S. bank account details
• Passport details, U.S.-issued Social Security Number, or U.S.-issued Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
Employment details

https://www.americanexpress.com/glob...ed-states.html
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:12 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by mia
Here are American Express' published requirements for Global Transfers to USA:

Must haves for a USA move:

• U.S. home address
• U.S. home phone number
• Passport details, U.S.-issued Social Security Number, or U.S.-issued Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
Employment details

https://www.americanexpress.com/glob...ed-states.html
I just did the Global Transfer a couple weeks ago and here is what was asked for:

• U.S. home address
• U.S. home phone number
• Passport details, U.S.-issued Social Security Number, or U.S.-issued Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) (had to fax the proof of it, since I had no history on it)
Employment details
mia likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: A3*, HH, club carlson: all gold and bonvoy plat
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Can’t speak to the UK, but with US Amex cards, you can choose paperless statements. They will ship replacement cards internationally. The first card of each product will always be sent to your US address, but you never have to activate it. Instead, you can ask for a replacement card to be mailed wherever you are.
Unfortunately, the international shipment gets denied if it is your very first US-card (i.e. with no credit history on a new ITIN).
Old Feb 18, 2020, 3:52 pm

Thanks everyone. Seems a mixed bag but I'll get me a bank account anyway. Looks like HSBC UK provides a service to open a US account with them. What ways are there to obtain an ITIN before moving? I would be keen to look into it even if it might get complicated.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:33 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by Waddle
Thanks everyone. Seems a mixed bag but I'll get me a bank account anyway. Looks like HSBC UK provides a service to open a US account with them. What ways are there to obtain an ITIN before moving? I would be keen to look into it even if it might get complicated.
Won't happen. Getting an ITIN is actually pretty annoying unless you are 1) simultaneously filing taxes or 2) have a good (read: government services) reason.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 3:49 am

Not sure if this is a new program:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c.../us-newcomers/

"For the first time ever, we can access your credit history in select countries outside the U.S. through Nova Credit, which could help you get approved for an American Express Card."

"Which countries does the Credit Passport(R), powered by Nova Credit, currently support for American Express?
United Kingdom, India, Mexico, Canada, and Australia. Don’t see your home country listed? Don’t worry, Nova Credit and American Express are looking into supporting more countries in the future."

"Do I need a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to apply?
If you’ve moved to the U.S., we realize that you may not have a SSN or ITIN number. We can process your application without it, if you use the Credit Passport(R), powered by Nova Credit, during the application process."
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Not sure if this is a new program:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c.../us-newcomers/

"For the first time ever, we can access your credit history in select countries outside the U.S. through Nova Credit, which could help you get approved for an American Express Card."

"Which countries does the Credit Passport(R), powered by Nova Credit, currently support for American Express?
United Kingdom, India, Mexico, Canada, and Australia. Don’t see your home country listed? Don’t worry, Nova Credit and American Express are looking into supporting more countries in the future."

"Do I need a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to apply?
If you’ve moved to the U.S., we realize that you may not have a SSN or ITIN number. We can process your application without it, if you use the Credit Passport(R), powered by Nova Credit, during the application process."
I think there is already a thread on this.
ChocolateFactory likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:22 am

Datapoint if anyone finds themselves in the Nordics... (Finland)

UK citizen, holding a UK PRG Card - applied for a green one here, no special procedure apart from putting in the exsiting gold card number. Got an email saying they're checking my credit and I'll hear from then in 10 days. 8 days later, have heard absolutely nothing, but arrive home to find a letter from the UK. Open it up and there's the card! Well played Amex - seriously impressed!

Some advice:
It is essential that you have a bank account here set up with full online 'id codes' (which you use to log in to things like gov. services), in order to apply. It is not even possible to do without it (and it's the last stage). These are the hardest things to get as banks are very strict about the ID requirements for getting them, and of course to get that you need to be fully registered here with the authorities, municipality etc, so bear this in mind.

Also everything on the Amex website, the application, and the letter that comes with the card, is in Finnish. I wasn't able to add it to my UK online account. I do not speak Finnish. I had help from my Finnish partner for the application, but the online servicing layout is completely identical to the UK one.

Have not yet tried to transfer MR points across, I'm not sure what my long term plan for that is. My main objective here is to be able to collect points in Euros without a 3% fee!
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Alibarber
Have not yet tried to transfer MR points across, I'm not sure what my long term plan for that is.
Bear in mind that you can transfer only once per 12 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.