Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2020, 9:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by joakgarp
​​​​​​.... Chase rep started to ask tons of questions of his business with revenue, income, employees etc lol like an interview for 10 minutes so it very much depends who you are talking to.
Chase has recently changed their criteria for approving business card applications. Discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...20-onward.html
joakgarp likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Chase has recently changed their criteria for approving business card applications. Discussion here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...20-onward.html
Very interesting. Amex Biz will probably follow as well (hopefully not).
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by discoseal
US -> Canada

I have a credit score of roughly 760 and am looking to build credit in Canada. My main concern is that I have little history with Amex in the more "premium" side of personal cards with only a regular Everyday card that dates back to 2015. I've dabbled a bit on the business card end though with a BBP and a Delta Gold. I'd ideally like to get a Canadian Amex Gold as my first Canadian card.

A few questions I do have though:
Is an Everyday card sufficient to take advantage of Amex GT?
Would I be eligible to apply for any Canadian Amex card?
Thought I'd pop in with a quick update regarding timelines after a few PM's.

24.05: Submitted application
25.05: Identity verification request (bank account and utilities), link valid for 90 days from application submission
12.06: Documents submitted
18.06: Card arrival

Overall, quite pleased with how hassle free this was.
For utilities, I just bought a $15 payg mobile phone plan here that I plan on cancelling after one month.
James91 and Global Adventurer like this.
Old Jun 22, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by discoseal
Thought I'd pop in with a quick update regarding timelines after a few PM's.

24.05: Submitted application
25.05: Identity verification request (bank account and utilities), link valid for 90 days from application submission
12.06: Documents submitted
18.06: Card arrival

Overall, quite pleased with how hassle free this was.
For utilities, I just bought a $15 payg mobile phone plan here that I plan on cancelling after one month.
When you opened the bank account in Canada did they ask for utilities and proof of address?
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
When you opened the bank account in Canada did they ask for utilities and proof of address?
They did not. They just needed to verify that I was a resident. In fact, I hadn't even found a place to live yet when I opened a bank account.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by mvtm
Go with Citibank they have a "Global Client" program. You have to go in-branch and speak to your RM after holding a Citi acct for more than 3 months.
Here is the documentation i got in the bank about a year ago: https://i.imgur.com/jnWMUys.jpg
Wonder if it worked for anyone with Citi in Asia (Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand).
Old Jun 29, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Wonder if it worked for anyone with Citi in Asia (Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand).
Well i am not sure but i would give it a try being Citi such a global bank.
I get the feeling it would work as long as you sit down in person with a banker in the USA, but it's all luck! There's so few data about this in the internet that i don't know if it would work. It worked for me, smoothly... the banker seemed informed and he just gave me that piece of paper straightaway and told me it was possible.

Last edited by mvtm; Jun 29, 2020 at 1:17 am
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93
I did a Citi "Global" card application earlier this year - Citi Premier Miles cardholder in HK, with Citi Gold - approved instantly with a whopping USD2K credit limit (HK limit is USD43K....). Had to wait until 3 months after opening our bank accounts here. During the application process, in discussions with the credit check team, my banker had to repeat on multiple occasions that the application needed to be processed via the "global" process instead of the standard credit check.

Separately did an Amex Global transfer - cleared straight away for a USD10K limit.
mvtm and barracuda93 like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
I did a Citi "Global" card application earlier this year - Citi Premier Miles cardholder in HK, with Citi Gold - approved instantly with a whopping USD2K credit limit (HK limit is USD43K....). Had to wait until 3 months after opening our bank accounts here. During the application process, in discussions with the credit check team, my banker had to repeat on multiple occasions that the application needed to be processed via the "global" process instead of the standard credit check.

Separately did an Amex Global transfer - cleared straight away for a USD10K limit.
Yes, this clicks with my experience. Same, and they also told me about the 3 months bank account open time prior to applying. Nice to hear someone got it also! And congrats on the 2 cards.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Would it be enough to have a US bank account with Citi for 3 months? Because that’s what the banker told me, but it didn’t make a lot of sense for me. He said that if I had a US account for 3 months, I could apply through the Global program and then they’d somehow pull my overseas credit. But I would assume you’d need to have an account with Citi in a different country for at least 3 months, in order to get a US credit card?
I have 2.5 years of US credit history and a US credit score of ~740, so maybe I could just apply the regular way... He just said that Citi is extremely strict and I’d need several years of credit history in order to get any of the premium cards...
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Would it be enough to have a US bank account with Citi for 3 months? Because that’s what the banker told me, but it didn’t make a lot of sense for me. He said that if I had a US account for 3 months, I could apply through the Global program and then they’d somehow pull my overseas credit. But I would assume you’d need to have an account with Citi in a different country for at least 3 months, in order to get a US credit card?
I have 2.5 years of US credit history and a US credit score of ~740, so maybe I could just apply the regular way... He just said that Citi is extremely strict and I’d need several years of credit history in order to get any of the premium cards...
Choco, I'm gonna tell you my experience.
I didn't have ANY bank account anywhere before applying for the card.US Citi was my first and at that time only current account. I was just a girl who lived under my parent's before, so Citi was my first own bank account.

I don't know how they pulled the data or from where because i didn't have anything to pull/transfer. I believe i was a glitch..
I think it's better you apply under this "Global" program because if you go the normal way even with your credit history they might ask you SSN, US Driver's License physical copies.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Thanks. I already have a Citi checking account, so I don’t know if I’d have to go via the Global program, as I also have some US credit history (Amex, Chase). But I guess it wouldn’t hurt either. But you have to apply in person?
Old Jul 3, 2020, 1:34 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
Sure, you can build credit with a secured credit card. But even with positive credit history, I doubt that any bank would offer you an unsecured line of credit.
If they give you a $10k CL and you take that money and run, how would they ever get a hold of you?
Incorrect.

I have amex with a 9K creditline on Hilton aspire. And a green amex.

Build history for 4 years with BOFA.
Asked for an amex on same address and passport number.

Somehow they matched this info and I Evan have a Fico score on amex app of 720. But I cannot look for myself as I don't have SSN, itin or ein. Live in Europe.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 4:43 am

Sign in for a service called credit secure from Amex, it gave me my 3 Fico8 scores and some other detailed info for $1. I don't have the social security but they could match, also credit.com gives a TransUnion (the one that is not Fico) without SSN.

And for chocolatefactory, yes in person that'sthe only way. The only card i didn't need to be in person was with Amex of course. Bank of America, HSBC, Citi can open you cards but in person.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by mgo72
Incorrect.

I have amex with a 9K creditline on Hilton aspire. And a green amex.

Build history for 4 years with BOFA.
Asked for an amex on same address and passport number.

Somehow they matched this info and I Evan have a Fico score on amex app of 720. But I cannot look for myself as I don't have SSN, itin or ein. Live in Europe.
You took my post out of context. I didn't say it's technically impossible. I meant that I don't think any US bank would willingly offer a line of credit to non-resident aliens with no tangible assets in the US.
The Amex T&C state that you must be a US resident. They would never have given you that card if you had told them you live in Europe and aren't a US person. You simply successfully deceived Amex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.