Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 4:35 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by merlin90
....Platinum card is a bad move because in, say, a year's time it won't have had the beneficial effect on your credit score that using one of Amex's credit cards would have done.
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
.... credit cards, a credit limit is reported, ...
This is the essential difference, but it can cut the other way if the limit is low.

If you have a UK-issued Platinum Card now you might keep it for another year, use it primarily for benefits, and put your spending on a USA-issued credit card.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:43 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by LondonElite
How strange, all of my country moves have maintained my initial joint date. Almost every call I make to Amex brings up a 'we appreciate yo being a member for over 30 years...'
Not strange at all, Amex in Switzerland isn't proper American Express. They are issued by Swisscard AECS, AECS JV = American Express Credit Suisse. So in that sense, they aren't actually issued by American Express.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by merlin90
I've read on this thread that opting for the Platinum card is a bad move because in, say, a year's time it won't have had the beneficial effect on your credit score that using one of Amex's credit cards would have done. Can anyone explain technically why this is the case? What is it about a charge card that the credit agencies don't like?

My girlfriend (a US citizen) has several US credit cards; my understanding is that she can add me as an authorised user on those and then even if I never use them, her spending and paying off balances in full reflects well on my credit score. If this is the case—more research to be done, but any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated—then I may take the Platinum card anyway.

Friend of mine who works in private lending mentioned to me that charge cards show up in credit look ups as open and rolling balance monthly commitments (as charge cards don't show credit limits on the report). The advice I received is if you are interested to apply for a line of credit, then pay off the open balance on the charge card first. The credit report will show you have a charge card and the balance will be zero..Put simply, a credit card actually shows up much more details on your credit report.

As for linking with someone who has an established credit history, it will show up linked accounts and addresses when you add an authorised user. I believe if that person defaults it also impacts your score as well
Old Nov 19, 2019, 1:48 pm

Being an authorized user should help as well, but I don't know if it's the same as having your "own" card.
Actually it is better than than an "own" card for the credit score. You get all the upsides in the report (no of accounts, credit limit/usage) but without any hard pull which affects the score in a negative way. My wife's score is a lot better than mine without opening an account herself
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by LondonElite
How strange, all of my country moves have maintained my initial joint date. Almost every call I make to Amex brings up a 'we appreciate yo being a member for over 30 years...'
Mine wasn't maintained uk to usa. My USA one shows the date I opened the account, some 5 years after my uk one.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by aceman
Mine wasn't maintained uk to usa. My USA one shows the date I opened the account, some 5 years after my uk one.
Ditto in Australia.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:02 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aceman
Mine wasn't maintained uk to usa.
My membership date was also reset when I 'transferred' from the US to Germany.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Just a quick heads up to everyone who wants to do it: They can easily fix the "member since" date, I requested it via chat. HOWEVER, that will trigger all your cards to be reissued.
As I'm happy with my cards (easy to remember security codes etc.) and have the details saved at a dozen merchants, I decided to keep the incorrect "member since" date for the time being.
Happened to me as well and caused a real pain because they sent out the Platinum card via express for which my UPS shop charges if I don't pick it up within 2 weeks. The rep didn't tell me that. When I called and stated my case the CSR offered to reimburse me for the storage fee or mail forwarding ($75) which was pretty generous of them.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Any recommendations for a mail forwarder to use for the global transfer in order to obtain a US address?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
Any recommendations for a mail forwarder to use for the global transfer in order to obtain a US address?
I opened my account with a mail forwarder, and would highly recommend you get a friend with a residential address. After opening my account, I kept getting threatening emails/letters about the address being marked as a mail forwarder and told I have a few months to change or they would close my account (something to do with US law). If you still want to try, the one that I opened it with was usglobalmail.com, who I recall providing decent service.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You would need to find one that isn’t listed as a mail forwarder on the USPS website (ZIP lookup tool).
Shipito used to work, but there have been reports that they no longer forward credit cards.
Check out this guide: https://princeoftravel.com/blog/gett...-for-canadians
Generally the best option would be to use a friend’s address.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Generally the best option would be to use a friend’s address.
This
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Any recommendations for a mail forwarder in the UK that works? Write here or pm me.
I assume future invoices from Amex UK can be sent to an international address (within the EU) after sign up is completed.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Any recommendations for a mail forwarder in the UK that works? Write here or pm me.
I assume future invoices from Amex UK can be sent to an international address (within the EU) after sign up is completed.
Royal Mail. But cannot use indefinitely...

tb
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Or you could choose to go electronic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.