Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Good to know - thanks for the heads up!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:56 am

Amex Centurion Global Transfer

Hi all

Has anyone had any luck transferring an overseas Centurion to Japan in recent years? I've seen a few posts from over 10 years ago mentioning they had to apply for a platinum card and then got upgraded a few months later, but I was curious if anyone has had experience in recent years as Amex Japan seem to have had a rather large restructuring since (i.e. the Platinum card being invitation-only until last year!)

If so how did you do the transfer? Did you contact Amex Japan directly or do it through your RM?

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:45 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread, as it's about the Nova Credit Passport option to utilise overseas credit history from select countries - let me know if not?

In any case, I've had something puzzling happen the other day, I'm curious if anyone knows how all of this works: I moved to the US a few months ago and was able to get an Amex Delta card on day one, using my UK credit history. That was without linking to my UK Amex account. I have one, but I didn't log in, I just ticked the "I don't have US credit history" box when applying for the US card and provided my UK national insurance number and a few other details. They then pulled my UK credit history and approved the card.

Now, a while later I hit the threshold for the welcome offer, and thought, okay, let's get another card for another welcome offer. I did the same again, used my UK credit history and got approved for a second Amex card. I didn't provide a US SSN with my application. Up until today neither of the Amex cards showed up on my US Experian credit report.

Then, a few days ago, I applied for a third card, and within seconds I get an email from Experian, and a notification from the Experian app on my phone, and now the first Amex card shows up on my credit report (with the correct opening date a few months ago), as well as two inquiries - Amex from a few days ago and Amex from the second card a while ago. The thing is, I never gave Amex my SSN. I had been meaning to so I can start building credit history, but I hadn't gotten around to it. So I'm a bit puzzled: How does Amex have my SSN? And how did all of this happen now just as I was applying for the card? My US credit report previously was completely empty.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I don't know exactly but when my girlfriend (US citizen) added me (recently moved to the US from the UK) as an authorised user on her Southwest Airlines Visa, she seemingly needed very little information about me. She certainly didn't ask me for my SSN and she 100% did not know it. The card wasn't even sent to our apartment; it was sent to her parents' house which is where her card is still registered. Nevertheless, I can see that card reflected on my credit report.

Another data point for the global-transfer-to-the-US crowd. I've lived here since November 2019, got an Amex Platinum via global transfer at that point, and was added as an authorised user on that Southwest card under two months ago. The biggest balance on my Platinum card has probably been around $6,000 and I've used the Southwest card for two small transactions. Nonetheless, my credit rating was good enough to get approved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred last week. I'm not sure how much of this is a reflection of the Platinum (as a charge card) not being as bad for your short-term credit prospects as people suggest, or whether it's simply a case of successfully piggybacking on my girlfriend's credit score, but I was surprised at being able to open another (good) card so quickly.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I was told by Bank of America that even without SSN/ITIN, the credit bureaus will try to build a profile for you based on the information that’s available to them.
DC9 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:24 pm

Hm, makes sense that they might try to collect data on you even without an SSN. And maybe when I applied for the card the other day, when Amex sent their inquiry they included information about the account I already had with them. I wasn't logged in, but I was using the same browser and computer I usually use to log into my online account with them. When I applied for the second card a while ago, I used a different browser I think, maybe that's why back then nothing happened. Or maybe I wasn't in the SSN system at all yet. I'm curious to see now if my second card will eventually also show up on my credit report. So far it hasn't.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:57 pm

I did this process last July (Amex were super helpful), already have a credit score of 750. I've been apartment hunting and landlords seem to want a credit report - extremely grateful that I was able to do this. Just some musings.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:15 am

US -> Canada

I have a credit score of roughly 760 and am looking to build credit in Canada. My main concern is that I have little history with Amex in the more "premium" side of personal cards with only a regular Everyday card that dates back to 2015. I've dabbled a bit on the business card end though with a BBP and a Delta Gold. I'd ideally like to get a Canadian Amex Gold as my first Canadian card.

A few questions I do have though:
Is an Everyday card sufficient to take advantage of Amex GT?
Would I be eligible to apply for any Canadian Amex card?
Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Yes to both questions (generally speaking, I have no experience with Amex Canada).
Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:37 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by discoseal

I have a credit score of roughly 760
Is that a USA or Canadian score? (I know nothing about Canadian credit scores, just seeking clarification.)

Global transfer allows American Express Canada to use your experience with American Express USA to process an application, It does not "transfer" your USA-issued card to Canada. The specific card that you hold in the USA should have no bearing on which card you can choose in Canada. Read more here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...-CMS-GCRcanada
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:19 am

Global Transfer

Hi everyone!

I moved from Canada to Japan over a year ago. I have an Amex Plat card and it’s still active with a Canadian address. How hard it is to move the credit history through Global transfer to Japan ? Is it easy to get an Amex card in Japan or it’s harder than elsewhere ?

Many thanks in advance
Old May 6, 2020, 12:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Anyone done a global transfer to a Amex business card without having a company? Is it possible?
There's a field for federal tax id on Amex.com
Old May 6, 2020, 12:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Anyone done a global transfer to a Amex business card without having a company? Is it possible?
There's a field for federal tax id on Amex.com
I don't think it's possible. For starters, Amex will want to know about the existence of a business.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:52 am

I doubt it would work. But I have been pre-approved for business cards now, so I’m quite optimistic I could get one now if I wanted.
Old May 6, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
I hope it works. Those extra 15 Bonvoy nights for just having a business card is tempting... Basically it's possible to get 30 nights/year with 15 elite nights from a regular personal Amex marriott card and another 15 elite nights with the business card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.