Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Mackle

I am sure I saw somewhere on the Amex DE site that you can pay monthly instead of annually?
You can. It's €50 pm.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
So how straightforward was a global transfer to Germany?

Did you have to do any of this Post ident stuff that German companies seem to love, and visit a post office with lots of documentation?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:30 am
Suspended

So how straightforward was a global transfer to Germany?

Did you have to do any of this Post ident stuff that German companies seem to love, and visit a post office with lots of documentation?
It was so easy I don't even remember it. I think I called Amex UK who sent me a form from Amex DE. I filled this out using my existing Amex information, my German address, and a few weeks later I had the account set up.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Cool, thanks!

And any particular differences between the cards? I’m guessing that Apple Pay won’t work with the DE one?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:15 am
Suspended

I think overall the MR transfers are a bit weaker, but that’s not a big deal to me. The rest is pretty much the same. I get loads of offers emailed to me. Insurance is very good, which is the principal reason I hold the card. If you can read German I can email you the user guide.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:12 pm

I called Amex UK and they said the process was to apply for a DE card online, but to answer yes to being an existing card holder and put my UK card number in when requested.

After doing this, I had to then do a Post Ident verification with the post office to verify my ID, but have not received anything from American Express confirming that the application is being processed.

Will see how the process goes.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 1:19 pm
Suspended

That sounds vaguely familiar!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
I generally agree that the German rewards credit card market is pretty dire.

I have Amex and the DKB Hilton card, which I think are about the best options there are.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I generally agree that the German rewards credit card market is pretty dire.

I have Amex and the DKB Hilton card, which I think are about the best options there are.
The DKB Hilton card really stands out, the benefits it comes with for that price makes my BA Amex card look overpriced!

There is also the Lufthansa miles and More card, which if you already hold status with Lufthansa looks okay.

Other then this and Amex, it’s a totally dire market. But then most of the people in front of me in shopping queues at places like Rewe and Galleria Kaufhof are still paying with cash. People are so cash-centric here, even Rewards might not tempt them.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:58 am
Suspended

One thing to keep in mind with the German Amex card is that you cannot pay through the Amex app, you have to transfer from your bank to Amex DB account. Another (big) shortcoming if you need this for expense purposes is that you cannot export your statement as an Excel file.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
But who knows maybe next year AMEX DE might partner with LH, as it stands they are experementing together to get give AMEX Plat & Cent LH Lounge access in Munich and Frankfurt.
Problem with that is that MasterCard is a lot more accepted in Germany than Amex is. I’m a little surprised that despite being a member of Payback, there are a lot of Payback partners who don’t take Amex.

I find the Amex/LH lounge thing curious; it’s only a specific business and senator lounge in the non-schengan departure area at Frankfurt (can’t speak about Munich as used the airport) from what I can remember, and even that seems to have upset LH status holders greatly.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
One thing to keep in mind with the German Amex card is that you cannot pay through the Amex app, you have to transfer from your bank to Amex DB account. Another (big) shortcoming if you need this for expense purposes is that you cannot export your statement as an Excel file.
How much correspondence did you get from Amex?

I haven’t received anything to tell me that my application has been submitted following on from the Post Ident video call. At least when you submit a UK application you either get instant decision on screen or else a message that it’s being looked in to - I just got redirected to Post Ident for proof of identity instead.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:21 am
Suspended

Virtually none.

I just looked back in my emails...I applied on Day 1, on Day 3 I received the following email:

Dear LondonElite,

We have received your request to transfer your existing United Kingdom American Express Card to a German Platinum American Express Card.

We thank you for your interest in our products and services and look forward to welcoming you as a German card member soon.

In order to process your application we would like to ask you to complete the following steps; please:

• print/save and study carefully the product specifications as well as our insurance terms and conditions which you find enclosed.
• print the document „Bestätigung & Ident“ which you also find enclosed.
• sign the document at the bottom of the first page and note that the supplementary applicant (if requested) also has to sign these Terms & Conditions.
• use the Ident-Verification-Form together with your valid passport or ID card and have it validated in a German Post Office or your local bank branch.
• return the signed Terms & Conditions and the validated Ident-Verification-Form to

American Express Services Europe Limited
Zweigniederlassung Frankfurt am Main
Theodor-Heuss-Allee 112
60486 Frankfurt
Fax Number: 0049 (0) 69 9797 2230

Upon receipt of the above mentioned documents we will process and finalise your card application. Thank you very much for your help. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Yours sincerely,

Global Transfers Germany
American Express Services Europe Limited
Zweigniederlassung Frankfurt am Main
Theodor-Heuss-Allee 112, 60486 Frankfurt
Tel.: +49 (0) 69 9797 1000
Fax: +49 (0) 69 9797 2230
On Day 13, I received the following email:

Sehr geehrter Platinum Card Inhaber,

wir freuen uns, Ihnen Ihre Platinum Card zu bestätigen. Sie erhalten diese in den nächsten Tagen per Post.

So schnell ist Ihre Karte einsatzbereit:1.Sie erhalten Ihre Karte und die dazugehörige PIN* separat per Post, sofern Sie diese bei der Online-Kartenbeantragung nicht bereits selbst ausgewählt haben.2.Aktivieren Sie Ihre Platinum Card einfach online oder unter +49 69 9797-3030 (Option „Card Services“ auswählen).3.Anschließend können Sie bargeldlos bezahlen, Membership Rewards® Punkte sammeln und alle Kartenleistungen nutzen.
Wir wünschen Ihnen viel Freude mit Ihrer Platinum Card.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ihr American Express® Kundenservice
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
use the Ident-Verification-Form together with your valid passport or ID card and have it validated in a German Post Office or your local bank branch.
I had to do Post Ident in order to actually complete the application. Did you have to do Post Ident twice as part of a Global Transfer, or wasn’t it part of the initial application process?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:46 am
Suspended

I had to do Post Ident in order to actually complete the application. Did you have to do Post Ident twice as part of a Global Transfer, or wasn’t it part of the initial application process?
Neither. I did a kind of face time ident with my ID.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.