Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Card Relationship (fka Global Transfers) experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
To be honest, I'd prefer a plastic card with chip and NFC over the US metal card which you always have to sign for...
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
To be honest, I'd prefer a plastic card with chip and NFC over the US metal card which you always have to sign for...
USA Platinum metal card is available with contactless -and- all USA card networks eliminated the signature requirement this year, although some merchants still expect one.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:15 am
mia

Originally Posted by muhanna
I am planning to transfear to ICC. ...do we get the same credit limit as we were offered or?
Global Transfers does not move an account from one country to another, it simply gives American Express in the destination country access to your history. You still must comply with the regulatory requirements in the new jurisdiction, and the credit limit would be based on their criteria.
Mackle likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
USA Platinum metal card is available with contactless -and- all USA card networks eliminated the signature requirement this year, although some merchants still expect one.
Nice. Why don't they send out contactless cards by default? Also my card has a chip of course, but I meant PIN...
I'm usually not in the US (I got my card through Global Transfer) and most other places, merchants still expect signatures (and in Europe most cards have a PIN, so they often need to find a pen first, etc.).
Old Sep 2, 2018, 7:53 pm

AMex GloBal Transfer

Looking for some guidance
I am in Canada
I have 2 Amex cards and a ITIN
I have Areoplan and Platuim Amex cards booth in good standing
Can I transfer booth cards using Global Transfer to the USA ?

I am planning to do this in the next couple of days
Do you just ask for the what card you want ?

Also do you need to provide proof of address ?

Last edited by Fabian 1027; Sep 2, 2018 at 7:54 pm Reason: update
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by Fabian 1027
I am in Canada

You will have to comply with whatever the local Amex identification policies are. So for example, in Germany I had to submit to Postident to check my passport, which I guess in turn was checked against my Schufa (German credit scoring system).

I think it also depends on the county you are moving to; so for Germany I selected the card I wanted, filled out a new application, and then put my UK card number as an existing card, which then meant that it was handled as a global transfer. Took exactly two weeks from application to receiving card. Other operating countries have their own global transfer pages.

Your card/account doesn't transfer over exactly. You get a new card issued by the country that you have moved to and have the option of cancelling the old card.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:23 pm

I am in Canada

You just apply online with whichever card you wanna apply, with your ITIN put in the SSN section. They might ask you to give them a copy of your ITIN.
Sometimes they do ask for proof of address, this can be done by providing a copy of your drivers license or utility bills etc.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:37 pm
mia

Can I transfer both cards using Global Transfer to the USA ?

Global Transfers does not move your Canadian accounts to another country. It simply allows American Express to use your Amex Canada history to evaluate your application in the USA.

Start here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/glob...ed-states.html

• Process takes 7-10 working days
• You may only apply for one Card in the U.S. at this time. You may apply for additional Cards when you have built up a local credit history.
• If you have a credit file in the United States, it will be taken into account when processing your application.
• We may request documents for ID purposes and address verification.
• Membership Rewards® points can be transferred to your new Card if it is enrolled in the Membership Rewards program. Otherwise, please redeem the points before you cancel your existing Card.
• If you wish to keep your existing Card, you will continue to be billed any annual fees you are currently paying.
• The balance, if any, from your existing Card cannot be transferred over to the new Card, if approved.
• To be eligible for a new Card in the U.S., your existing Card must be issued by American Express, you must be the primary Cardholder, and have held the Card for at least 3 months. Your Card Account must be open and in good standing at the time you apply for a new Card in the U.S. If the Card was previously cancelled by you, it must have been cancelled within the last 3 months. American Express Corporate Cards and American Express Cards issued by Banks other than an American Express Bank are not eligible through this Card application process
Must haves for a USA move:
• Your American Express account number
• U.S. home address
• U.S. home phone number
• U.S. bank account details
• Passport details, U.S.-issued Social Security Number, or U.S.-issued Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
• Employment details
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:22 am

Hi All!

Great news to share from personal experience - U.S.A. to U.K. Global Transfer.

Had a USA Amex Platinum for a few months, met the 3 month requirement.

I did a Global Transfer to open a U.K. Amex Gold which was approved with an easy proof of address (bank statement, bill) and a scanned picture of my passport.

You can easily utilise this global transfer opportunity via a referral... All you need to make sure you do after using a referral link is put your existing amex card number down (no matter which country it's from).

Last edited by mia; Sep 29, 2018 at 12:07 pm
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
While I am pretty sure the answer is negative, still curious: has anyone succeeded using Russia-issued Amex for global transfer? Wonder if that may help me to apply in Taiwan.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:27 pm

Anyone succeeded in Germany to USA using Global Transfer? The German Amex hotline said they can help with the transfer to other countries, but US doesnt accept Global Transfer from Germany!?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:35 pm

I successfully did Germany->USA through their US hotline. No issues whatsoever, but be aware that you can only do this once. So choose wisely which card you want.

Amex used to use third-party banks for their SAS credit cards in Scandinavia. They have now canceled those contracts and will start offering similar cards themselves. Does anyone know if that means Global Transfer will become available there?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:34 pm

Quick question folks,
I have a great credit score in USA and one of the card is Hilton AMEX Card.

I would be moving to Canada soon, so to get a card in Canada, thinking of using global transfer to get a new card based on my hilton AMEX card in US.

Question is : would AMEX canada be able to use my Hilton AMEX card or do they need a AMEX only card (or a card by AMEX and not with a partner) ?

Appreciate your responses.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by usa2can
Quick question folks,
I have a great credit score in USA and one of the card is Hilton AMEX Card.

I would be moving to Canada soon, so to get a card in Canada, thinking of using global transfer to get a new card based on my hilton AMEX card in US.

Question is : would AMEX canada be able to use my Hilton AMEX card or do they need a AMEX only card (or a card by AMEX and not with a partner) ?

Appreciate your responses.
I think it depends on whether the Hilton Amex is issued directly by American Express (so you apply for it on the Amex website) or if it's issued by another institution. For example, my UK BA Amex is something that I could use on a global transfer as far as I know because it was applied for on the Amex UK website, but if instead I had the Lloyds Avios Amex card which was issued by Lloyds, then I could not use that for a transfer.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:44 pm

Thanks Mackle for quick response.
I had the exact scenario you described. I was in UK a decade back, and had a Lloyds issues AMEX card.

Was disappointed when I could not get a global transfer done on moving to USA due to my AMEX being issued by Lloyds.

I don't exactly remember how i applied for my Hilton AMEX (hilton or amex website), but that won't be hard to find out. I will also try to email AMEX support to confirm this. But still looking for some real example which would definitely help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.