Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2009, 5:13 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by flashware
The only thing I think they could consider is spending pattern, e.g. before the promo it was X, during the promo it was Y, now after the promo it has gone back to X.
But the whole reason for Amex starting this promo was to try to get people to change the way they used their card. So noting a change in card usage before, during and even after the promo should be expected and should confirm to Amex that their promo was in fact successful .

And for the record, my spending habits did change during this promo. However, I only managed about one seventh of windfall noted by the OP. I wish I had thought of the beer world tour aspect .
Old Mar 15, 2009, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by vbroucek
I personally have never ever accused you of anything.
So what did you mean when you wrote "you gave AMEX very good proof that you have indeed acquired your points fradulently"
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
While I do not have unamed little birdies for information sources, I do have a recent letter individually addressed to me that was written to me by a senior Amex Executive (Director XXXX XXXXX XXXXXX ANZ) acknowledging that they after careful review of my submission to them and of their own records, that they they would pay in full all bonus points earnt by me in this promotion to my account.

True to their word Amex subsequently posted the bonii owed to my MR account just prior to the OP being written.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Mar 15, 2009 at 7:17 am
Old Mar 16, 2009, 3:29 am

A thoroughly enjoyable read lovetravellingoz!
I wish it were me but since it isn't I hope you enjoy your (four? five?) European holiday! Well earned. Let's face it, anyone who says otherwise is just jealous!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Smile Applause

Right. Back to regular programming...

1) Brilliant story and read. In particular, loved the wit -- especially re the socks and the cashier getting in the groove after a few training runs. Also, what I think I perceived in the beer review...

2) Mrp Alert, you might refer lovetravellingoz to Inside Flyer.

3) I have one question of lovetravellingoz: Why didn't your wife participate in the earning? Since the constraint for you was time, and she'll likely participate in the fruits. Seems that if she just used the card for her normal things, you'd have a lot more fruits (and, admittedly, probably a lot of other things).

Anyway, bravo!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 3:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firewind

3) I have one question of lovetravellingoz: Why didn't your wife participate in the earning? Since the constraint for you was time, and she'll likely participate in the fruits. Seems that if she just used the card for her normal things, you'd have a lot more fruits (and, admittedly, probably a lot of other things).
She did.

However my wife generally speaking wanted to make "considered" purchases...whereas I was more focused on max tx per hour and by and large would know what I would buy before I entered the store.

So I quickly learnt to rather stand there pulling out my hair and risking both baldness and divorce, to instead have my wife take her time to "identify" what she wanted while I whizzed about a number of other stores for rapid tx and then would return to pay for her selections. To optimise this my wife might go into several stores and find what she wanted putting it aside for payment when I returned.

Result happy hubby with max tx....and happy wife with her considered purchases.....and a happy wife is a happy life

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Mar 18, 2009 at 4:21 am
Old Mar 18, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
^

I hope you'll treat us to a Book II - the utilization - pursued with similar relish, plotting, skill and wit.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

^

I hope you'll treat us to a Book II - the utilization - pursued with similar relish, plotting, skill and wit.

Well travel has long been one of my passions...or as a photo-journalist neighbour once said "Travel is food for the soul".

Once in my early twenties when on a 4WD trip out into the Simpson Desert a wizened old-bushman said to me as we shared a campfire at Dalhousie Springs (http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/par...a/natural.html ), which is a long long way from anywhere, under a night sky with a Millky Way so bright that it took your breath away:

"You know son, you are a long time-dead"

So Carpe Diem.

Such moments are why I travel...and LOL are why I do Point Runs to ensure that such moments are in fullsome supply.....and so yes I fully intend to use the points from this Point rum for more travel...more food for the soul.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 2:27 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Wink

1) Brilliant story and read. In particular, loved the wit -- especially re the socks and the cashier getting in the groove after a few training runs. Also, what I think I perceived in the beer review...

2) Mrp Alert, you might refer lovetravellingoz to Inside Flyer.

Anyway, bravo!

lovetravellingoz is definitely one of the more dedicated person on this promo.

A lot of people in Australia (including me) have benefited from this "most generous promotion ever". So I think whoever going to do the interview, need to read the AFF thread on this promotion. It has more than 5000 posts (which is easily a record for AFF forum) and you can have all the stories of initial excitment, then the sadness, then the anger, the persistence and finally victory for all these people. In fact, it almost sounds like a movie to me .....

Imagine Amex did this in USA, even Obama would not be able to save Amex ....... Oh well you guys already have a lot of regular generous offers from many credit card companies anyway

NOTE: I have already started to use these points .... 2 * J tix on NZ SYD-AKL-PPT on 70K Amex points (1:1 to SQ)
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:12 am

What/where is the AFF forum? Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:19 am

What/where is the AFF forum? Thanks.
Available here: http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...per-14628.html
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:19 am

AFF = Australian Frequent Flyer Forum
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lovetravellingoz
It was there from the start....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nsactions.html ...but has so far less than twenty posts in it.

I guess with most on Flyertalk not being resident in Australia that there was not much interest here.

The link in that thread takes you to a MONSTER Aussie thread though....so far has over 5000 posts in it!!!!

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...per-14628.html
...where there was a LOT of interest.

If you have about a week of free time you can read it.

I just thought with the promo at last concluded for me that some on Flyertalk might be interested to read my Points Run Report.

Cheers
Here you go Firewind..I had put the link up on Page 2 of this thread for both the AFF and Flyertalk Threads on this Promo.

You can go direct to the AFF thread via

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...per-14628.html

It is still going strong.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Mar 19, 2009 at 5:57 am
Old Mar 19, 2009, 4:28 am

Thank you. I was about 15 pages up the Amex forum when I noticed your replies.

Mercy. 5200 posts, 520 pages. Makes a piker of the Continental => ... => ... => Southwest alchemy fiasco, and the more recent Delta fiascos.

See @ #411 here for a little comic relief...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-budget-2.html

What's FOS? It's probably way up the FAA thread, but maybe someone here can short cut it. Thanks.

Last edited by Firewind; Mar 19, 2009 at 5:26 am
Old Mar 19, 2009, 5:34 am
Original Poster

What's FOS? It's probably way up the FAA thread, but maybe someone here can short cut it. Thanks.
The Financial Ombudsman Service

http://www.fos.org.au/centric/home_page.jsp

If you have a problem with a financial product or service, the best place to start is to talk to your financial services provider. If you are unable to resolve the problem with your provider, the Financial Ombudsman Service provides accessible, fair and independent dispute resolution services as an alternative to taking your dispute to court. The service is free to consumers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.