Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Well let the flying begin!!!

I have actually now redeemed for a couple of journeys.

But today is the first of these to actually be flown. So I am sitting here in the Melbourne Raffles Krisflyer Lounge enjoying a beer while waiting for my family of 4 to board the SQ A380 which I managed to get 4 Saver J's on. Off to Singapore and then Vietnam.

It is nice to start in style with many more trips to go

Cheers
Old Dec 10, 2009, 1:00 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Originally Posted by lovetravellingoz
Well let the flying begin!!!

I have actually now redeemed for a couple of journeys.

But today is the first of these to actually be flown. So I am sitting here in the Melbourne Raffles Krisflyer Lounge enjoying a beer while waiting for my family of 4 to board the SQ A380 which I managed to get 4 Saver J's on. Off to Singapore and then Vietnam.

It is nice to start in style with many more trips to go

Cheers
Hi,

I am really happy for you.. Have fun on your vacationS .. Pls do share your experiences with us..
Old Dec 10, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by zaf
Hi,

I am really happy for you.. Have fun on your vacationS .. Pls do share your experiences with us..
+1
Old Dec 10, 2009, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Well J in the A380 is like WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when you first board.

The space is quite amazing and having redeemed early we were in Row 14 in the upstairs small cabin...so nice and private and quiet.

Speaking of space the forward WC continues the theme of SPACE. Talk about plenty of room. Ralph Fiens must have his eye on this one

Can there be too much space though? The J seats in the A380 are W I D E. They are seats you sit on rather than in almost reminscent of a bench rather than a comfy chair. They are for me too wide as I would like to rest both arms on arm-rests. Mind you due to width one can leave the pop-up dining table in place as one gets in and out of the seat and so this was a handy benefit.

Personally I found the seat quite hard..no doubt due it's folding bed design that you flip over for the mattress. The bed function shines though and even though I was not overnighting I folded it out to try it out. My two daughters and wife loved the bed though and all three spent alrge part of the flight reclined back with the couple of comfy pillows that come with every seat.

We had taken advantage og SQ's "Book The Cook" to order our mains. The food and other courses were all good though...............and yes the Cocktail List was a great way to enjoy the flight too.

As we were on SQ one had to start with the Singapore Sling...or two!! Quite a nice wine list for the meals and yes a cleansing ale afterwards.

All in all a very nice experience. One interesting part of this trip is that we fly 3 different planes and so it will be interesting to compare the J in each even if two of planes area bit older.

The Krisflyer lounge in Singapore on arrival (about 10.30PM) was very crowded and so I was glad that we had booked two rooms in the airside Transit Hotel for a 6 hour block before returning back to the lounge for breakfast.

Now onto Vietnam....
Old Dec 11, 2009, 9:10 am

Does AmEx, or any other card for that matter, still have program where points are given per transaction?

lovetravellingoz, have fun on your trips!
Old Dec 12, 2009, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by r.ndwrld
Does AmEx, or any other card for that matter, still have program where points are given per transaction?
There are so many programs and cards it is hard to be definitive as deals are always coming and going. Most are per $ rather than per transaction on CC.

However airlines, shops, hotels etc often have per tx bonus points. However unlike what was in this OP the points are not usually worth more than what the tx cost which is why this promotion was so attractive. However deals come and go. For example a while back in the USA some people could hire cars for less that the points gained. Occasionally I have down this as well in Australia by awarding points to BMI, but only when I could rent a car on an extremely cheap rate..
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Well have arrived in Ho Chi Minh City aftera short but pleasnt flight in J, but a lot less opulent than on the A380.

One of the main things that strikes you on first arrival in Ho Chi Minh City is crossing the road.

Basically at most interections the traffic NEVER stops. So if you want to walk anywhere further than around the block one has to just take a "leap of faith" and walk through the traffic no matter how heave it is.

At first this is quite daunting for to do this in the west would instantly convert one in roadkill.

However here all the drivers, whom are mainly on moped or small motorcycles simply swerve around you.

The trick is to just walk out and continue slow and steady.

Standing still will increase the chances of being hit and running would be charged with danger.
Old Dec 13, 2009, 12:47 am

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
Well have arrived in Ho Chi Minh City aftera short but pleasnt flight in J, but a lot less opulent than on the A380.

One of the main things that strikes you on first arrival in Ho Chi Minh City is crossing the road.

Basically at most interections the traffic NEVER stops. So if you want to walk anywhere further than around the block one has to just take a "leap of faith" and walk through the traffic no matter how heave it is.

At first this is quite daunting for to do this in the west would instantly convert one in roadkill.

However here all the drivers, whom are mainly on moped or small motorcycles simply swerve around you.

The trick is to just walk out and continue slow and steady.

Standing still will increase the chances of being hit and running would be charged with danger.
This is OFFICIALLY, my favorite thread on FT! Please keep your trip reports coming! Someday, a US CC will offer something so insane and my OCD will kick in overdrive!

Have a blast!

John
Old Dec 18, 2009, 3:38 am
Original Poster

ONE DAY IN NHA TRANG

We arrived very in the morning from Ho Chi Minh City on a sleeper train. 5.30am!!! Ouch...

Fronting the taxis, unlike the airport at Ho Chi Minh City, this was more akin to boiling mass of Piranhas. Not the drivers but rather the other passengers from the train who all flooded out to a mesh of taxis which you just had to grab rather than queue for.

I was just about to lift the back tailgate of one taxi when a more wise local just slid into the backseat to secure "my" taxi!!!

Still there were more taxi than passengers and so we were soon off.

Nha Trang was a relief after millions of Ho Chi Minh City. At this time of the moring the streets were all empty in stark contrast with the 24 hour activity of HCM.

Too early even for the multitude of restaurnts and cafes to have opened and too early for our hotel room.

So we dumped our bags and went to beach and to have breakfast at the Lousina Beach Club once it opened. More a 5 star resort than simple cafe it came complete with swimming pool and beach cabanas with lounges with thick matresses all on what is reputedly Vietnam's best beach.

Certainly the coffee was the best I had to date in Vietnam. After the town becoming alive around us we drifted back to our hotel for showers and checking in before returning to the club for a lazy day.

Another big plus of this location was it came with it's own brewery!!!!!!!!!!!

So after lunch it was time for a very pleasant beer tasting of it's main wares. As each "sample" was 200ml it made for "glowing" afternoon. Many asian beers are quite similar but here we had a broad range including wheat beers and dark ales.

Dinner saw us off hailing a taxi to reportedly the best BBQ meat in Vietnam. In a back street after a maze of turns we were deposited at a casual local cafe with plastic chairs and bbq clay pots that you share between 4 people to cook your own choice of meat, chicken or fish...all marinated to perfection.

Cleansed with a San Miguel ale...or two it was then off Sailing Club to continue the evening.

Wicked cocktails abounded followed by a few games of pool before hitting the dance floor. All by a floodlit beach looking glorious.

Midnight ticked by and it was now officially my birthday. The fact of which had been tipped off to the manager and so soon to my surprise "It's your birtday" was being pumped out over the dancefloor to a club beat with my also being presented with a free cocktail...all multi-layered and very alcaholic.

A bit more dancing and then an easy amble back to our hotel.

A perfect end to a perfect travel day. One day in Nha Trang.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Dec 18, 2009 at 9:39 pm
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Well good news for me this morning for my flight to Europe next June.

My 4 Saver Js on the SIN-MAN have now had the plane substituted to the 77W Have also manged to selectseats in row 11 to gain the extra legroom-space and also greatr priacy of the smaller cabin shared with first class.

This follows he earlier substitition of the A380 on the MEL-SIN leg.

So the entire MEL-MAN trip will now be on new SQ metal at Saver J rates

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Dec 22, 2009 at 10:36 pm
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:53 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Certainly the coffee was the best I had to date in Vietnam.
Do you happen to know if the coffee was locally grown? Vietnam has been credited/blamed for contributing to an oversupply of coffee, but I've not heard much about the quality.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Do you happen to know if the coffee was locally grown? Vietnam has been credited/blamed for contributing to an oversupply of coffee, but I've not heard much about the quality.
Well as to that particular cup I suspect not.

Most of the local brew which is often all that one can get has strong chocolatey overtones which my wife is quite partial too, but which I am not a fan of. I believe that the local brew is made from local beans.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Truly amazing post, a great read!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:33 pm
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
With all that shopping, I'm betting the OP did not have children to take in and out of car seats.
PBQ
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PBQ
With all that shopping, I'm betting the OP did not have children to take in and out of car seats.
PBQ
My youngest is 13 and so all 3 off-spring our now self-loading car-pax.

However as per the OP I quickly learnt that max tx per hour were gained when I shopped alone.
But at times were integrated in.

ie a trip to movies for two daughters.

Take one movie ticket voucher purchased on-line previously. Buy another at the cinema on the day. Buy popcorn from the grocers and drinks from another store..and so several tx soon racked up and while the kids took in the movie dad was off "working' on another shopping run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.