Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: all
The way you got these points, you deserve the champagne and the rose petals..not to mention possible entry into the MHC )
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Originally Posted by pantanal
..not to mention possible entry into the MHC )
I had to think about what that was for a minute...

.......but maybe I am already a member

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Mar 11, 2014 at 7:18 am
Old Mar 11, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: all
Originally Posted by lovetravellingoz
I had to think about what that was for a minute...

.......but maybe I am already a member

who said membership is a one time entry )
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Often the contrarian, I have just booked the return leg in J on Malaysian, from Paris as part of my eldest daughters European July trip to Paris, Croatia and Bosnia. I had pre-disappearance already booked the flight over. Their great availabilty in J at short notice combined with a MR point cost of 51,000 one way is hard to resist.

Points courtesy of Bank Of Dad. An interest free loan....

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Mar 20, 2014 at 3:21 am
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Time for a stocktake.

Down to 2,232,363 points in various programs. From the high 3's that I was for a while.

Though that is with two F and 1 J return flights to Europe from MEL, along with a bunch of inter-Europe redemptions, already booked.

So despite redeeming millions in flights I am keeping my head above water However this last year has been tight, and was the first for a while where I have not ticked over a million in a year. Still there have been opportunities to keep things ticking over, but no real point runs of any notable size.

On a more cheerful note, time to start thinking about the next redemption. Africa beckons....an overland Safari. Perhaps J-berg to Zanzibar during the migrations, detouring through as many wildlife reserves as possible?? Time to start researching....
Old Mar 27, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Wow, there's a blast from the past! Nice to hear from you LTO! Has it really been 5 years since the great Amex promo? My points from that were spent wisely over several trips using SQ.

I'm also Africa bound next year, the planning stages "Mother of all African Adventures" are on my blog. I've been taking advantage of my dual citizen status to churn a few cards and will be visiting South Africa, Mauritius, Madagascar, Tanzania and Ghana with a focus on birding (but big 5 are also present where we will be going).

They sure don't make promos like they used to!
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:54 pm

Loved your account of the tx shopping extravaganza. It was a delightful story and as a hater of shopping I'm not sure I could have endured. Bravo.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tiki
Wow, there's a blast from the past! Nice to hear from you LTO! Has it really been 5 years since the great Amex promo? My points from that were spent wisely over several trips using SQ.

I'm also Africa bound next year, the planning stages "Mother of all African Adventures" are on my blog. I've been taking advantage of my dual citizen status to churn a few cards and will be visiting South Africa, Mauritius, Madagascar, Tanzania and Ghana with a focus on birding (but big 5 are also present where we will be going).

They sure don't make promos like they used to!
Good to hear from you again too Tiki. Who knows, our paths may cross in Africa.

Given the current QF turmoil, it might be prudent for me to burn a chunk of my QFF points stash for that trip rather than *A. More direct flights too.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Interesting that this thread woke up again. I reread LTO's initial post and enjoyed it as much as when I first read it years ago.

One thought I'll offer is that making multiple credit card transactions (tx) per day is much easier when traveling in a dense urban city than when traveling in the suburbs.

I live and usually travel in suburban areas. Even in fairly dense suburban areas, I tend not to generate lots of tx per day. Lunch, dinner, maybe one other shopping trip. Suburban travel is car oriented. Going to multiple stores to make multiple purchases to generate multiple tx just takes too much time.

It's different, though, when I'm traveling in a dense urban core. There, I get around on foot, and it's easy to hit multiple stores in the course of a normal day. On my last visit to New York City, for example, I made these tx in a typical day:

- Morning snack and newspaper at convenience store
- Transit pass
- Lunch
- Dinner
- Dessert (ice cream, slice of pie, etc., usually at a different place than dinner)
- Trip to an interesting store or evening entertainment
- A few items at the convenience store to take back to my room

So, upwards of 7 tx/day, and that's without trying to increase tx to earn a bonus.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

I have a flight tomorrow on Nikki to Barcelona from Vienna, my one and only redemption in economy for this European trip...so was just checking my baggage allowance.

I was most relieved to see that I can pack my catapult!!!!!!!!!!!! So my plans to lay siege to the city centre will not be set back.

The following articles may only be carried in checked baggage:

Cutlery
Razor blades
Toy guns and commercially available toys that could be used as a weapon
Catapults
Sports rackets and other sports and leisure equipment that could be used as a weapon
Knitting needles
Any other sharp objects, such as knives, scissors, tail combs and syringes (except for certified medical purposes)
Old May 30, 2014, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Well another trip done and dusted.

My first to Europe where I have bot flow over AND back in First Class. Suites on the way over was particularly sweet!

Only 5 passengers for the 16 cabins...and more staff than the 5 passengers and so the service was certainly never lacking. With just my wife and I flying it was double bed all the way, and that certainly made for a sumptuous travel experience. The lack of other passengers also meant we has use of several other Suites. We used one on the outside to take drinks on our "verandah" to watch the views after take off, and on landing.

The wine list was expansive, but the decision to use it as a wine tasting
and to sample everything on the list had its later ramifications due the over attentive staff who believed in FULL and refilled glasses. Needless to say on the next flight, and in The Private Room, I took things a might slower.

A grand holiday entailed through Lucerne & the Swiss Alps, 9 days cycling from Passau to Vienna along the Danube River, Vienna, Barcelona, London and Munich.

However the cycling trip was definitely the highlight. Travelling at ones own pace through rural areas and smaller villages is the food that sates my travellers soul. Mind you the 5 shows that we took in while in London was none too shabby either!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: elevate rapidrewards
Smile

It was there from the start....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nsactions.html ...but has so far less than twenty posts in it.

I guess with most on Flyertalk not being resident in Australia that there was not much interest here.

The link in that thread takes you to a MONSTER Aussie thread though....so far has over 5000 posts in it!!!!

http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...per-14628.html
...where there was a LOT of interest.

If you have about a week of free time you can read it.

I just thought with the promo at last concluded for me that some on Flyertalk might be interested to read my Points Run Report.

Cheers
Why are Australian Amex people, with knowledge about Amex Surcharges, witnesses for US Supermarkets and US Pharmacies in the In Re: American Express Antitrust Litigation Case AND the US & 17 States v Amex Antitrust case under Asst Attorney Baer?

There's talk about payments and threats and hush hush money over on australianfrequentflyers as US guys with cuffs talk to someone called Rico Dodd-Frank http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...ml#post1062344 http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...ml#post1062481

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
oh dude...why cant they have that in the US? i do so many trans on my amex...id be on my way to a free 1st class ticket by now with that promo!
The US DoJ Antitrust Division are looking into weird things in Oz made during their CID investigation, as are Reinhardt Wendorf & Blanchfield Attorneys at Law E-1250 First National Bank Building 332 Minnesota StreetSt. Paul, Minnesota 55101 Phone: 651-287-2100 Fax: 651-287-2103. The Aust SEC are taking over from the Oz Financial Ombudsman Service about "12GF Asic Act" over Amex's instant payup of paperbags full of "lottery points" cloaked behind "Fos'" without prejudice settlement dispute resolution scheme.

M'thinks there'll be an audit of all the transactions that weren't paid out as a result of 'tactics'.

All any of the participants need do is showed they would've rolled the points into Virgin Airways lotteries to Win Flights to the US "but for" [a legal phrase] Amex's delaying tactics which prevented lottery points in Virgin Galactic's 25,000,000 million point prize.

stone the crows, m'aate. ^

Last edited by mia; Jun 10, 2014 at 4:28 pm
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Ok, the next trip is on.

The long lusted for Africa!!!!! Well technically I have been to Africa already as I have been to Egypt......but I want the safari experience with all the wondrous vistas and wild animals that the savannahs of Southern Africa offers. The real Africa if you will.

I am in that glorious research phase at present of deciding which countries, and exactly which game parks and how to travel. Safari vs longer stays in a game parks vs an overland trip...

It is all starting to gel and July/August 2015 will be when in order to take in the great migration , plus many other sites. 6 or so weeks, and 4 or so countries.

I am also looking at which frequent flyer program to use to get there. QF (or OW partnners) , EY, EY via VA, SQ and *A via SQ are all possibilities. Two one way bookings looks to be the go to use two different cities for arrival and departure.

Let the fun begin!!!

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Jun 24, 2014 at 6:54 am
Old Jun 27, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: elevate rapidrewards
Ok, the next trip is on.

The long lusted for Africa!!!!! Well technically I have been to Africa already as I have been to Egypt......but I want the safari experience with all the wondrous vistas and wild animals that the savannahs of Southern Africa offers. The real Africa if you will.

I am in that glorious research phase at present of deciding which countries, and exactly which game parks and how to travel. Safari vs longer stays in a game parks vs an overland trip...

It is all starting to gel and July/August 2015 will be when in order to take in the great migration , plus many other sites. 6 or so weeks, and 4 or so countries.

I am also looking at which frequent flyer program to use to get there. QF (or OW partnners) , EY, EY via VA, SQ and *A via SQ are all possibilities. Two one way bookings looks to be the go to use two different cities for arrival and departure.

Let the fun begin!!!

Needs pics and a trip report ...or it didn't happen
Old Jun 28, 2014, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

A key part of my last two European holidays has been the self-guided cycling tours.

First in France in Lire Valley, and then this year in along the Danube River from Passau in Germany to Vienna in Austria. Both magnificent trips.

With a self-guided trip, it is not a group tour at all. It really is just you and your travelling companions going at your own pace. They are also a lot cheaper than a guided cycle trip.

It is a magnificent way to travel as you get out in the countryside, and you see and experience much more than just the well worn tourist sites. In smaller villages it is just you and the locals, and you see things as they are rather than just as what is perceived that a tourist wants.

The company that you book with supplies your bicycle, trips notes/route/maps, books your hotel/bb and importantly bag transfers.

You can cycle just the minimum, or divert as much as you like. You can sightsee, visit museums, vineyards etc as much or as little as you want....not to mention long-lunches at anywhere that takes your fancy.

You can sleep in, or get up before dawn. So you have enormous freedom.

The only real two restrictions are 1/ the check out time of your hotel (which is normally well after you would want to leave anyway and 2/ that you must have your bags packed by 9.30am or so ready to be taken by a driver to your next hotel.

Both companies I used chose very good hotels by their location and we were most pleased with their choice 90% of the time. Indeed most were located in the heart of where you want to be. For history and sights, and for restaurants etc.

The two companies we used were excellent to deal wit, and very good value. I am happy to recommend both.

For France we booked though: Biking France / RandoVélo http://www.biking-france.com/

For Austria: Rad & Reisen http://www.radreisen.at/en/home.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.