Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
There are moments in one's travel that make it all worth while. Moments when you gasp in wonder and when your soul is touched deeply.

Visiting Halong Bay was one such time.

The islands here are breathtaking and magnificent.

Literally thousands of small islands in a small area, all steeply rising from the sea in rocky splendour. Very reminiscent of Krabi/Phi Phi in Thailand but orders of magnitude more.

The experience made all the more by visiting them in a timber junk overflowing in character. We had left the mailand as part ofa fleet, but with so many islands despite the lierally hundreds of boats that departed we manged to find times of isolation as well.

It was my family's fortune to spend a memorable Christmas Day visiting the Islands in Halong Bay including some breathtaking caves.

The days sail ended with a stop between Islands for a mid-passage swim with our junk all alone....in a magical setting.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Dec 31, 2009 at 6:25 pm
Old Dec 31, 2009, 5:56 am
Original Poster

And there are other times when one's travel resolve is tested..

EARNING 3815 KRISFLYER POINTS THE PAINFUL WAY

Paddling out from Cat Ba Island by sea kayak in the early morning was a glorious experience. The air crisp with a slight mist about.

Paddling along past cliffs and sea-villages of the local fisherman was all a sight to behold as we paddled around various small islands.

Then across to a sandy beach for our party of 9 with guide. The plan was a quick stop to feed some local monkeys before taking a clifftop walk to take in the views.

The guide had brought a small bunch of bananas which were soon dispatched to the hungry group of half a dozen monkeys.

Afterwards we were just then standing talking looking up at the trail which we would soon walk when unexpectedly and suddenly my left hand was full of pain.

The alpha-male of group had leapt at me from the side biting my hand which was at my side.

As I was looking along the beach I did not see him coming. The pain was excruciating and he did not want to let go. Looking down I could see his larger fangs slicing into my flesh and I had to shake the monkey off as he did not want to stop biting.

The attack was unprovoked but my hand was now sporting a number of deep and shallow teeth wounds.

One advantage of being at the beach was that I could wash my hand immediately (which is the best thing to do for treatment in countries where animals can have rabies...and of which Vietnam is such a country). I followed this with a dose of alcohol from a bottle obtained from a villager at the beach.

Being a country with active rabies cases, even though the monkey did look not look rabid it meant that I had to seek out treatment for rabies is a disease that once you show symptoms for there is no known cure. So you need to seek immediate vaccination as symptoms can occur anywhere from 1 days to a year.

So back to Hanoi and a series of injections. The first night that was SEVEN injections (5 of human rabiesimmune globulin (or HRIG), one tetanus shot and one rabies vaccination (with another 4 to later follow). All in all and I felt like a pin cushion. A follow up vaccination is required at days 3, 7, 14 and 28.

Four of the seven where into the hand and I cannot recommend this treatment to anyone. Two of them were directly through the the two deepest teeth marks . These 4 were the HRIG and in all 4 cases the injection site had then to be massaged to work the HRIG in. The two deeper injections and massage was about as painful as the original bight!!!!

The cost of this initial treatment? $2543!!! ...and another demonstration of the worth of travel insurance. My claim was approved over the phone with me to be reimbursed later.

So with payment on my Krisflyer Amex it was painful way to earn an unexpected 3815 points!!!! Don't try this one at home though...

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Dec 31, 2009 at 6:45 pm
Old Dec 31, 2009, 9:27 am
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Oouuuch... I hope you are ok??

Your trip updates is very inspiring to all of us here in FT
Old Dec 31, 2009, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zaf
Oouuuch... I hope you are ok??

The hand was just sore for a few days but yes is all ok now...though with 3 rabies injections to go. The rabies shots are mainly just to play it safe. Very little chance I was exposed...but if I had been, rabies is a guastly way to die with no cure and hence not worth taking the chance.

Meanwhile with my July Europe trip locked in, the biggest problem is to consider where to fly to for Xmas 2010 as the 350 day booking window opens soon. But that is a nice problem to have
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Well have booked now for my eldest daughter to join our July Europe trip. She has limited time as has University Commitments.

However finding a Business seat so that she could meet up with us in France was a little tricky given her travel dates which are pretty much fixed, and airports that Saver Js are availalbe to are limited and MAN (our entry point) is no longer available.

Still a little lateral thinking a lot of searching and a Saver J MEL-FRA was booked.

She will then travel by train to meat us in Paris. Advance fares are pretty cheap. Might get an Eurail pass depending what we end up doing.

More problematical was the return.Tried many variations including waitlist, but they never cleared and lapsed after 3 days.

With us departing AMS over consecutive days taking 2 J each day no further seats showed on those flights and leaving a day later was not suitable.

Kept plugging away and then one day First availability popped up out of FRA ...BUT booking a Saver F on-line could not be done for even though there was a Saver First on both FRA-SIN and SIN -MEL it stubbornly refused to show as paired option on FRA-MEL. Instead on the other leg it would on;ly pair with one of the newer planes with no Saver First availability.

One leg or the other would show up, but only paired with a newer plane that did not allow Savers at all.

So rang up direct and politely pointed this out to the CSR.

Result 15% on-line discount retained and two Saver First legs linked for the desired routing...and one lucky daughter gets to fly F on a 744!!!!

So we will now meet up for two weeks in France and travel together through Belgium and onto Amesterdam where eldest daughter will grab a train back to FRA (station at airport).

For the SIN-MEL leg she will be on the same flight as my wife and middle daughter...so they might have to draw straws for who gets the F seat for that leg. My wife may win

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Jan 10, 2010 at 6:49 pm
Old Jan 10, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwoord Gold, Amex Centurion, Global Entry
Wow what a lucky lady she is!
Hope y'all enjoy Amsterdam!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Well more good news for me for our Europe trip

SQ have just swapped the 773 with the old regional seats for the 73A on my SIN-MEL legs AND my eldest daughter who is flying a week after us MEL-FRA in J, has just had the old 773 upgraded to the A380!!!!

So on this trip the J Saver MEL-SIN-MAN had already been upgraded since I had originally booked them to the A380/77W combo....and now the return (AMS-) SIN-MEL leg has been upgraded too!!!!

Plus my daughter who I have just booked a Saver F from FRA -SIN -MEL will also be on the same SIN-MEL in the better F.

So that is 3 out of 4 legs swapped to better seating and cabins. for wife and 2 younger daughters with the one remaining leg already had an acceptable J (which is better than what was originally in the other 3 legs). Eldest daugter has now also scored tow better plane upgrades with the other two legs on the 744.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Jan 19, 2010 at 6:44 pm
Old May 5, 2010, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Woohhoo!!!!

Amex (Australia) MR have just announced a 10-25% bonus to transfer points to a number of airline programs by June 30.

Still have almost 2 million left. So a nice little extra windfall coming.

Not sure about transferring the whole 2 million. But certainly 1 to 1.5 million which will garner enough points for another J MEL-Europe return

PS Not frothing at the mouth yet. So looks like those rabies shots worked. Mind you hearing the bonus news today might have given my eyes a rabid look!!!!!!!!

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; May 5, 2010 at 4:19 am
Old May 5, 2010, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by lovetravellingoz
Woohhoo!!!!

Amex (Australia) MR have just announced a 10-25% bonus to transfer points to a number of airline programs by June 30.

Still have almost 2 million left. So a nice little extra windfall coming.

Not sure about transferring the whole 2 million. But certainly 1 to 1.5 million which will garner enough points for another J MEL-Europe return

PS Not frothing at the mouth yet. So looks like those rabies shots worked. Mind you hearing the bonus news today might have given my eyes a rabid look!!!!!!!!
Its 25% bonus to DJ and 10% to SQ, TG, VS and MH. I wish they would do a real promotion like their 3 MR points for 2 SPG points.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Its 25% bonus to DJ and 10% to SQ, TG, VS and MH. I wish they would do a real promotion like their 3 MR points for 2 SPG points.
True. But as they admitted at the time that redemption rate was a mistake which they elected to honour. So is not likely again anytime soon.
Old May 6, 2010, 5:41 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Hmmmm..... why am I not getting these MR offers???
Old May 7, 2010, 12:21 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
The cost of this initial treatment? $2543!!! ...and another demonstration of the worth of travel insurance. My claim was approved over the phone with me to be reimbursed later.

So with payment on my Krisflyer Amex it was painful way to earn an unexpected 3815 points!!!! Don't try this one at home though...
Sorry to hear you have to bleed and hurt for your miles...but at least you got them in the end...
Old May 8, 2010, 6:39 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
True. But as they admitted at the time that redemption rate was a mistake which they elected to honour. So is not likely again anytime soon.
In Australia this was an error rate in other countries this is a promotion. And yes, I don't think we will see this anytime soon (otherwise I'll move a Million MR points to SPG) but one can hope.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Ok,,,time for an update.

1/ Took advantage of the 10% bonus on MR point transfers to SQW and moved 1.5 million over to gain a bonus 150K of points (or another J return to Europe).

2/ We are now in Paris after having flown in the main on SQ to Manchester. Eldest daughter had some Univerity Timetable changes though and so she flew on Thai in J where there was excellent last minute availability. She will be leaving out of Frankfurt tomorrow in First en-route back to Melbourne.

The rest of us are off to Chartres for a few days before gouing by train to Amsterdam.

Train travel in Europe is excellent and there are great deals for be had by booking on-line. It is great way to travel here.

For example the 4 of us from Paris to Amsterdam have 4 first class seats in a private Salon (is a private cabin with only 4 seats in it, with only a few of these in each train) for only 300 Euro. this includes a free dinner service with drinks and free wifi.

3/ Our fist week was in London. Lesson here was that I forgot that Wimbledon was also on then...so next time book apartment earlier!!!!!!!! still aftera lot of searching founda 2 bed apartment in Bloomsbury and so could walk to many things including the west End Theatre where we took in Oliver and Love Never Dies.

The Tower of London was our highlight. 1/ For it's amazing history. But 2/ for the funniest and best Tour Guide I have had anywhere in the world. Bill Calloghan (my guess at spelling) was straight out of the "Dirty Harry" mould of his namesake in that movie., and witha dry sense of humour put the fear of god into us with barked orders and quipped and funny put downs of anyone silly enough not to JUMP, when he said too!!! Bill was Beefeater with over two decades of military service prior...and it shown. That Sergeant Major background couple with a comedic gift provided one of the most enjoyale 90 minutes of my life..

And who said London was cold??? It was about 28 on most of our days there.

3/ Onto France and if we thought London was hot...Paris was 37 on arrival!!!!!!!!!! and 35 on Day 2!!!!.
Fortunately our apartment, which like most in France had no cooling, was on the ground floor off a court yard and so was quite pleasant temperature wise.

We went ona evening cucling tour on Day 2 after the worst of the 35 heat anda passing shower which cooled things off. The eveing cycle was finished off witha cruise along the Sein complete witha bottle of red. The banks of the Seine were lined with partying Parisians ona very warm Saturday night and the resulantant buzz made fora great6 end to the day.

Prior to coming to Paris I had been told by many, and had read in various guides that the Parisians were rude to vistors.

I have found this to be wildly inacurate and have met warmth and friendlieness wherever I have been.

However I have noted a cultural difference compared to many western countries like Australia, England and the USA.... the French do not hide any displeasure or will feign politeness when people are rude to them.

So if you are brusque, or impolite.....then do not be surprised in the waiter etc is direct back!!!

But if you are friendly, and make an effort to speak Francais...then you gain a warm smile, great service etc.

Paris is great city and we have enjoyed many things. The only negative to us is that it is inhabited by a city of heavy smokers. You might be just about to enjoy your meal only to have to share it with clouds of smoke.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:45 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Just FYI, Amex Hong Kong is doing a similar promotion to Everyday Promo - ours is used to promote Fastpay (no need to sign transactions <$HK500 (A$77).

http://www.americanexpress.com/hk/en...y/offers.shtml

But we only get a bottle of water or a Starbucks stamp for our trouble. And we have to shop at Park'N'Shop (our Woolworths) or Starbucks for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.