Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by lovetravellingoz
Ok,,,time for an update.

1/ Took advantage of the 10% bonus on MR point transfers to SQW and moved 1.5 million over to gain a bonus 150K of points (or another J return to Europe).

2/ We are now in Paris after having flown in the main on SQ to Manchester. Eldest daughter had some Univerity Timetable changes though and so she flew on Thai in J where there was excellent last minute availability. She will be leaving out of Frankfurt tomorrow in First en-route back to Melbourne.

The rest of us are off to Chartres for a few days before gouing by train to Amsterdam.

Train travel in Europe is excellent and there are great deals for be had by booking on-line. It is great way to travel here.

For example the 4 of us from Paris to Amsterdam have 4 first class seats in a private Salon (is a private cabin with only 4 seats in it, with only a few of these in each train) for only 300 Euro. this includes a free dinner service with drinks and free wifi.

3/ Our fist week was in London. Lesson here was that I forgot that Wimbledon was also on then...so next time book apartment earlier!!!!!!!! still aftera lot of searching founda 2 bed apartment in Bloomsbury and so could walk to many things including the west End Theatre where we took in Oliver and Love Never Dies.

The Tower of London was our highlight. 1/ For it's amazing history. But 2/ for the funniest and best Tour Guide I have had anywhere in the world. Bill Calloghan (my guess at spelling) was straight out of the "Dirty Harry" mould of his namesake in that movie., and witha dry sense of humour put the fear of god into us with barked orders and quipped and funny put downs of anyone silly enough not to JUMP, when he said too!!! Bill was Beefeater with over two decades of military service prior...and it shown. That Sergeant Major background couple with a comedic gift provided one of the most enjoyale 90 minutes of my life..

And who said London was cold??? It was about 28 on most of our days there.

3/ Onto France and if we thought London was hot...Paris was 37 on arrival!!!!!!!!!! and 35 on Day 2!!!!.
Fortunately our apartment, which like most in France had no cooling, was on the ground floor off a court yard and so was quite pleasant temperature wise.

We went ona evening cucling tour on Day 2 after the worst of the 35 heat anda passing shower which cooled things off. The eveing cycle was finished off witha cruise along the Sein complete witha bottle of red. The banks of the Seine were lined with partying Parisians ona very warm Saturday night and the resulantant buzz made fora great6 end to the day.

Prior to coming to Paris I had been told by many, and had read in various guides that the Parisians were rude to vistors.

I have found this to be wildly inacurate and have met warmth and friendlieness wherever I have been.

However I have noted a cultural difference compared to many western countries like Australia, England and the USA.... the French do not hide any displeasure or will feign politeness when people are rude to them.

So if you are brusque, or impolite.....then do not be surprised in the waiter etc is direct back!!!

But if you are friendly, and make an effort to speak Francais...then you gain a warm smile, great service etc.

Paris is great city and we have enjoyed many things. The only negative to us is that it is inhabited by a city of heavy smokers. You might be just about to enjoy your meal only to have to share it with clouds of smoke.
YOu are killin' it. Way to go.

Last edited by farahmorales; Aug 18, 2010 at 12:35 pm
Old Jan 1, 2011, 2:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Well Trip No3 (on points from he run that is)

This time Thailand which is one of my favourite holiday destinations.

I decided only a month out to go, and so a little creativity was required to get all 5 of us flying in J in and out of Phukket at short notice.

By calling SQ secured 5 seats on Thai, after ANA Tool had showed 2 seat max availability on consecutive flights, to Phukket via Bangkok.

On return with SQ in J on a 747, my eldest daughter had to come home a few days early anyway and so that allowed 4 to fly on one day and her on another flight 3 days earlier.

I think that the 4 seats may have been a bug in the system that worked to my advantage as he seats would show, but I could not complete the booking on-line. However on calling SQ honoured the booking including the 15% booking. I have always found SQ excellent with similar bookings.

For an Aussie living in Oz, I have always found *A to be much btter than booking through QF and in particular for premium cabins.

The Trip
The main focus on this trip was 5 day liveabourd snorkelling trip which was on the Oktavia.
http://vimeo.com/5437093
http://www.mvoktavia.com/en/

Fantastic boat with a great crew and an excellent mix of fellow passengers on board.

Our trip included Xmas Day and we greatly enjoyed this trip. We had been on a backpackers boat in the Koh Similans 9 yars prior and so this time it was done in much greater comfort.

Lots to see with sea turtles, see snakes, bountiful fish, moray eels etc. Unfortunately coral bleaching had affected the shallow corals though.

Apart from the boat we are staying at a series of beach resorts, some large in busy areas and some small located on lonely beaches, including at Khao Lak for New Years Eve. Fireworks were amazing, as were the small hot air balloons that were released in their thousands including by us.

Muscles are a bit tired from a days rafting today. Was amusing watching the rafts of Japanese girls go down. No paddles..just web of ropes that they are all clothing onto as they squeal in terror alternating with laughter as they careen down the river in the care of two guides per raft that have to do all the paddling in their boats.

Points Running

Well 2010 finished on a high with a series of small promos, some of which will last till June 2011....but which all add up!!!!!!!!!!

25 K from Amex at 500 points per tx.

5 points bonus at selected stores and 3 points at others. Fortunately two of the 5 pointers you can buy gft cards fora raft of stores and so it means that one can buy the majority of ones petrol (gas for you from the USA!!), groceries, movies, alcohol, department store shopping at a bonus of 5 points on top of ones normal 1.5 points.

I have also now gained a special "accelerate" bonus on all of my Plat Amex spend of an extra 1 point per $ for 3 months. So that means that for a lot of my shopping that I earnt 7.5 points per $.

Some of my hotels gained a 10 point bonus.

Add to that 30,000 for mobile phones.....and a number of credit card sign on bonii...and various bonii here and there for various things...and I expect to earn about 600,000 points in about a 5 month period.

So after a slowish spot, Points Running is ina "healthy" period at present and the days of flying my family in J seem set to last quite a few years at least yet Indeed at present I am earning faster than I am burning!!!

Next Trip?? Europe for Xmas next year I think. Though all this snow at present will colour my thinking on where to. As one daughter will be completing her Year 12 Schooling, mid year I will probably just duck up to Cairns, with just my wife, to use a free flight I gained with a credit card promo.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Oct 15, 2011 at 8:43 pm
Old Jan 5, 2011, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Just checked into another resort in Khao Lak and amongst the general warnings etc on the hotel wall was this piece of advice.

In case of tidal wave (ie Tsunami)

Start to swim as soon as possible

Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
awesome story, unfortunately I doubt anyone will ever have one as generous again.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Trip No 4; Italy here I come.

Another forumite on AFF made a post recently on Saver J availability to Milan on the 300ER on SQ, where Standard would normally be the minimum point cost to redeem at.

So after a bit of searching I have now booked 3 in J going at Easter School Holidays, which would normally be a popular slot to fly in and out of Australia MEL-MXP

At first I could not get to the payment stage after spotting availability..so just "played" a bit and got it to book eventually.

So apart from the benefit of getting the 300ER at Saver Rates, the other big benefits were:

* getting 3 J's on the same flights to Europe!!
* getting J at a peak time only a few months out.

Normally I can only get 2 J's on the one flight with SQ to Europe, and so getting 3 due to what will most likely be an SQ glitch is a major boon.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Jan 14, 2011 at 11:23 pm
Old Jan 18, 2011, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

After "playing" with the Modify This Booking on SQ for a bit I have managed to change for 50 K per person extra my 3 Saver Js flights on 777-300 MEL-SIN and 700-300ER MXP to: 3Js on the A380 and 3 Firsts on the 777-300 ER.. plus 2 days earlier when I earlier could not get availability.

So that has optimised things :
* time wise fly out on the last day of school term (one of our 3 is my school-aged daughter)...and fly back in the day before term starts.
* have upgraded the standard of each flight going to Europe.
* Reduce the layover en-route to Milan in Singapore from 19.5 hours down to 9.5 hours PLUS now get to spend that in The Private Room at Changi if we choose to, and will for at least part of that time if not all..

Will be my first chance to use The Private Room as well my first First Class flight. So that will be a treat.

On the return our layover at SIN is less than half the time, and at breakfast rather than Dinner...and so going over is much more desirable to have use of The Private Room.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 7:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...booked now for my eldest daughter to join our July Europe trip. She has limited time as has University Commitments. However finding a Business seat so that she could meet up with us in France ...
...(one of our 3 is my school-aged daughter)......
It's going to very difficult for any young man to satisfy either of these girls .
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Well Italy was a blast. We had an amazing time and it has been one of my most favourite counties to visit. So I will be back.

What is not to like with great food, wine, culture, history and friendly people everywhere.

And it turned out to be a lot cheaper than I originally planned for.

Not long after I had booked my flights a new train fare system was brought in. Result was that I scored haul of MINI fares which were a very cheap way to get around Italy.

ie Only 7 Euro for the 3 hour Very Fast Train (VFT) trip from Milan to Venice!!!!!! No trip cost us more than 17 Euro. You had to think laterally at times though. ie MINI fares sold our from the main train station in Florence....so search on the other station that most tourists would not think of using...and hey presto 65 Euro fares drop to 13 Euro!!!

And for a bit of icing on our travel cake was that it just so happened that when we booked was Cultural Week (9 days) where many state museums were free to enter.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Oct 15, 2011 at 8:46 pm
Old Aug 19, 2011, 9:21 am
Original Poster

The Next Trip

We are off to Europe again next July (Australian School Holidays), as a bit of cycling in France was of appeal.

I was asleep at the wheel though as since I wanted fly when school holidays started and finished, I should have been booking a month back when award booking opened.

Originally when I rang up to book a *A for 3 in J, I was told all was gone. After being friendly and persistent the operator found an indirect and long route via Lufthansa, with long layovers.....but I think she felt sorry for me as she went away and came back with 3 direct tickets to Paris from Melbourne (via Bangkok)

But no joy via the operator for the return. She promised to look further and call me back...which she did many hours later with the news that she could find no *A options.

So I had a look myself that night and managed to find some seats out of Istanbul on Singapore on dates that suited us. Though we have to fly our party out on consecutive days.

While we basically wanted to just visit France, a few days in Istanbul will be great as I have never been to Turkey.

It will also allow me to visit Gallipoli, which is something any Australian must do at least once in their lifetime. (For non-Aussies Gallipoli is central to Aussie ethos.....the ANZAC Spirit, mateship etc which stem from it).

So as often happens in my travels, fate once again plays a large role in shaping my trip. 2 weeks in France and 1 in Turkey will make for a fantastic trip. Both elder daughters will be at University next year...so we will have to await till much closer to know if they will be joining us.

PS: the last 12 months have again been quite bountiful for Points Running with another million points earnt. Mainly via Amex. So the life of J-travel looks like remaining for a while yet.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Oct 18, 2011 at 4:11 am
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
In my opinion, IB should specially bestow on you the title of "A FlyerTalk Legend" that usually goes to those with 30,000 posts, or more. Or at least a special title like "Icon". Thank you for this thread.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

The Next Trip

Both elder daughters will be at University next year...so we will have to await till much closer to know if they will be joining us.

Well, fate of the eldest daughter is known and she will not be with us then....as she will be on safari in South Africa!!!! The other daughter is yet to complete her exams, and hence to discover which University she will be at.

Eldest, finishes her degree in June, and so her plans are to take about 6 - months off travelling before commencing full time slavedom (er work).

So far trip...in J is:
* SQ: Melbourne -Singapore
* SQ: Singapore -Cairo....travel through Egypt and Jordan overland
* Egypt Air: Amman to Johannesburg
* SAA: Johannesburg to London, then overland through 16 countries...

Rest of trip to be planned post Xmas.

The last two flights are very cheap point wise. *A redemptions for long haul flights in Africa are great value.

My daughter is travelling with a friend up until the Safari finishes...who had never thought past Y. So I offered for the cost of Y to book her trip all in J. Naturally one very happy, and dare I say lucky young gal!!!!!

Daughter must be a chip off the old block, for in researching her trip she soon discovered that she could book European land packages for her trip via the web out of England (You had to change settings so that UK domains are used) , for a third or more less than if booked via Australian websites for exactly the same tours, on the same companies.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Oct 15, 2011 at 8:48 pm
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:44 am
Original Poster

In J

Amman to JNB was 35 K

JNB to LHR was 45 K
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:48 am

In J

Amman to JNB was 35 K

JNB to LHR was 45 K
Thanks. My Fiancée just woke up and I said "I've made a decision.. honeymoon is going to be a safari in SA, getting there flying SAA in J". Should have seen her face light up ^^^
Old Oct 18, 2011, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Glad to hear that I have helped.

Certainly the Run that I did that started my recent run of Premium Flights has led to a great deal of joy for myself, and my family.

I just recently added it all up point-cost-wise, including what is booked but not yet taken.

Redemptions in the last couple of years:

5 J return to Vietnam 382.5K - SQ
4 J to Europe in London, out Amsterdam, 637.5K -SQ
1 J to London, 1 f Frankfurt to Melbourne 170K - SQ
5 J return to Phukket, 382.5 K - Thai there, SQ back
3 F to Europe and 3 J back, Mel- Milan (Italy return), 450 K - SQ
3J to Paris,3 J return from Istanbul (for next July) , 412K, Thai there, SQ back
1JMel, Singapore, Cairo, Amman,Johannesburg London, 170 K, SQ, Egypt Air, Egypt air, SAA
1JMel, Singapore, Cairo, Amman, Johannesburg, Melb, 190K, SQ, Egypt Air, Egypt Air, SAA (to Perth), QF (to Mel)

Only the Johannesburg, Melb was booked via QFF with SA to Perth and then onto MEL on QF metal.. All other flights are SQ or *A via SQ.

= 2.79 million points!!!!!!!!!!!

So the bounty gained from this particular Points Run is almost expired, but the memories will live on till my last gasp. Who would have thought that shopping would have delivered to me such great joy, such great adventures, and such great family times.

Fortunately for the Points Runner other opportunities abound, even if not as bountiful as this particular once in a lifetime opportunity has been for me. In it I found my El Dorado.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Oct 28, 2011 at 8:04 am
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
In my opinion, IB should specially bestow on you the title of "A FlyerTalk Legend" that usually goes to those with 30,000 posts, or more. Or at least a special title like "Icon". Thank you for this thread.
I completely echo this sentiment. If ever there was a need for the title "FlyerTalk Icon", its the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.