Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Click HERE to read discussion from 2013 - 2021.

FAQ
Q: Where is the lounge?
A: Terminal 3, F concourse, right by Gate F2 (formerly gate 75) and the F-1 security checkpoint (that has PreCheck, sometimes).

Q: Can I visit there if I'm departing from another terminal?
A: Absolutely. Security at SFO will let passengers departing from any concourse at SFO go through security in any concourse, even ones that aren't connected behind security. At the moment, concourses C, D, E, F, and G are all connected airside to the Centurion lounge. From boarding areas A or B you would have to clear security twice. For the most up-to-date info, see Connecting in SFO thread in the FlyerTalk San Francisco forum.

Q: Can I visit if I'm arriving at SFO?
A: Centurion Lounges no longer offer access on arrival.

Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Looks nice. I predict it will fill to capacity immediately and remain perenially overcrowded. Just too many cardholders.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Kacee
Looks nice. I predict it will fill to capacity immediately and remain perenially overcrowded. Just too many cardholders.
You must be wrong, because apparently* everyone has fled California, and for those that didn't flee (apparently not quite everyone), they were washed away with the recent storms. I expect to have the lounge to myself on the next visit.
(*I have been out of the country for a week, so no independent verification.)
Old Jan 3, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
So is the wine wall gone? Replaced by flights?
SF_DUKE likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Here now, and the additional space has done wonders to alleviate crowding.

Breakfast was good with a selection of hot and cold options. Bubbly is Gloria Ferrer, and I'm currently enjoying an espresso martini before moving on to a red wine flight.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
So is the wine wall gone? Replaced by flights?
Wine wall is still there but according to the bartender, the flights aren't ready yet. He used his key to pour me a few different tastes. I would imagine that was an exception, given it's not too busy right now.
SF_DUKE likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Points Guy pictures are good, although they don't cover the existing space and how they changed it.

Because we like to gripe about every little thing:

- The Centurion section is just a roped-off section in the relaxation area. Houston has this too (although not as open), and you constantly have random people just walking past the sign and setting up camp until a host comes by and kindly informs them that the "reserved" means "reserved not for you." Sitting behind a velvet rope just puts you on display for everyone else in the room, which is a little awkward. Mexico City has a completely different private area from the regular section, with its own bartender.

- Some of the lounges I've been to lately have table service for Centurion folks - even in Houston, I had people coming to me faster than I could drink and asking what I wanted next. If the Centurion section is over in that adjacent quiet area, that's a ways from the bar. I hope they continue to provide wait service.(Insert first-world eye-rolling here....)

The large sofas in the quiet area only have those two rectangle shared tables.You wouldn't be able to work on them, and since people are surely going to put their feet on them, you might not be able to place drinks or food on them. The sofas are made for couples/groups only, they are a little too cozy to be shared with a stranger.

The majority I see in the lounge appear to be 1-2 person groups, with the exception of the aforementioned family of wildings in the lounge. More two-tops would have made it easier to accommodate more people.

I'm flying out next week and padded in extra time so I could swing by the new lounge and check it out. The people working there have always been incredibly kind, hopefully we will see some familiar faces again.
Statman, SF_DUKE, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Points Guy pictures are good, although they don't cover the existing space and how they changed it.

- The Centurion section is just a roped-off section in the relaxation area. Houston has this too (although not as open), and you constantly have random people just walking past the sign and setting up camp until a host comes by and kindly informs them that the "reserved" means "reserved not for you." Sitting behind a velvet rope just puts you on display for everyone else in the room, which is a little awkward. Mexico City has a completely different private area from the regular section, with its own bartender.

- Some of the lounges I've been to lately have table service for Centurion folks - even in Houston, I had people coming to me faster than I could drink and asking what I wanted next. If the Centurion section is over in that adjacent quiet area, that's a ways from the bar. I hope they continue to provide wait service.(Insert first-world eye-rolling here....)

The large sofas in the quiet area only have those two rectangle shared tables.You wouldn't be able to work on them, and since people are surely going to put their feet on them, you might not be able to place drinks or food on them. The sofas are made for couples/groups only, they are a little too cozy to be shared with a stranger.

The majority I see in the lounge appear to be 1-2 person groups, with the exception of the aforementioned family of wildings in the lounge. More two-tops would have made it easier to accommodate more people.

I'm flying out next week and padded in extra time so I could swing by the new lounge and check it out. The people working there have always been incredibly kind, hopefully we will see some familiar faces again.
Most of the original staff are still with the lounge. AMEX kept them on payroll during the remodel to do the grab bags. Saw many of them during the training week prior to opening.

In fact, Flik Hospitality (lounge operator for AMEX) added addition staff headcount from other SFO airport outlets.
SPN Lifer, DMSFCA, Statman and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by DMSFCA

I prefer the lounge in Vegas, there is a private room ~200 SQ FT ish as opposed to the roped off area as Denver has and apparently Houston and also SF has now.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by SF_DUKE
Most of the original staff are still with the lounge.
That's a shame as I never cared for the gate dragons that ran the waitlist. Nothing against the bartenders

Originally Posted by Kacee
I predict it will fill to capacity immediately and remain perenially overcrowded. Just too many cardholders.
Concur. I am sure there are more than a few unemployed tech bros who have free time on their hands and will be traveling before tech revs back up. And demand will increase further with Asia opening up with SFO (and LAX) being the major gateways.
SF_DUKE and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Boraxo
That's a shame as I never cared for the gate dragons that ran the waitlist. Nothing against the bartenders

Concur. I am sure there are more than a few unemployed tech bros who have free time on their hands and will be traveling before tech revs back up. And demand will increase further with Asia opening up with SFO (and LAX) being the major gateways.
Count me as one of the guys to frequent this lounge in 2023.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
The entry staff are actually part of the AMEX team and not the hospitality group.

The AMEX lounge manager did change during the remodel so we will see. Agreed this was one area improvement was needed besides the overcrowding.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking forward to checking this out. I think between the increased size and the no free guests change on 2/1, this will make a big difference.

In my experience most of the crowding at SFO is groups of people.
SPN Lifer, SF_DUKE and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SF_DUKE
The entry staff are actually part of the AMEX team and not the hospitality group.

The AMEX lounge manager did change during the remodel so we will see. Agreed this was one area improvement was needed besides the overcrowding.
That's a shame as I never cared for the gate dragons that ran the waitlist.
There was one woman at the reception desk who was great. I hope she's still there.
SF_DUKE likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jan 8, 2023 at 11:27 pm Reason: Please do not discuss specific lounge employees.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Oh I miss their grilled chicken dearly....
I have enjoyed it (as the only meat course) for the last 6 years every time I visited this lounge....
Old Jan 8, 2023, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Doppy
Looking forward to checking this out. I think between the increased size and the no free guests change on 2/1, this will make a big difference.

In my experience most of the crowding at SFO is groups of people.
Totally agree with ya. Hopefully, there will be fewer kids and people overall. Just pay up if these people want to enter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.