FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Centurion Lounge SFO [Opened 6 November 2014; Expanded 31 December 2022]
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:55 pm
SF_DUKE

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Points Guy pictures are good, although they don't cover the existing space and how they changed it.

Because we like to gripe about every little thing:

- The Centurion section is just a roped-off section in the relaxation area. Houston has this too (although not as open), and you constantly have random people just walking past the sign and setting up camp until a host comes by and kindly informs them that the "reserved" means "reserved not for you." Sitting behind a velvet rope just puts you on display for everyone else in the room, which is a little awkward. Mexico City has a completely different private area from the regular section, with its own bartender.

- Some of the lounges I've been to lately have table service for Centurion folks - even in Houston, I had people coming to me faster than I could drink and asking what I wanted next. If the Centurion section is over in that adjacent quiet area, that's a ways from the bar. I hope they continue to provide wait service.(Insert first-world eye-rolling here....)

The large sofas in the quiet area only have those two rectangle shared tables.You wouldn't be able to work on them, and since people are surely going to put their feet on them, you might not be able to place drinks or food on them. The sofas are made for couples/groups only, they are a little too cozy to be shared with a stranger.

The majority I see in the lounge appear to be 1-2 person groups, with the exception of the aforementioned family of wildings in the lounge. More two-tops would have made it easier to accommodate more people.

I'm flying out next week and padded in extra time so I could swing by the new lounge and check it out. The people working there have always been incredibly kind, hopefully we will see some familiar faces again.
Most of the original staff are still with the lounge. AMEX kept them on payroll during the remodel to do the grab bags. Saw many of them during the training week prior to opening.

In fact, Flik Hospitality (lounge operator for AMEX) added addition staff headcount from other SFO airport outlets.